Removals

Old Jul 1st 2018, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removals

ok as per previous threads I’m moving to Ottawa, I got a quote for pack and removal from Calgary to Ottawa and it was $12,000 OMG. I moved from the UK for less and with more stuff. Looking into PODS and it seems reasonable. Why is everything so expensive here? Flights between Calgary and Ottawa, I could fly cheaper to the UK and in fact my bank teller got cheaper flights from Calgary to Sydney AUS. After me whining I would say I love it here just some things are so frustrating
Old Jul 1st 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals

much smaller population can't support the multitude of airline choices that is found in the UK and Europe.

Flying within Australia is also expensive.

Try the train??????????
Old Jul 1st 2018, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegSnow
ok as per previous threads I’m moving to Ottawa, I got a quote for pack and removal from Calgary to Ottawa and it was $12,000 OMG. I moved from the UK for less and with more stuff. Looking into PODS and it seems reasonable. Why is everything so expensive here? Flights between Calgary and Ottawa, I could fly cheaper to the UK and in fact my bank teller got cheaper flights from Calgary to Sydney AUS. After me whining I would say I love it here just some things are so frustrating
You’ve been around this site since April,2010, over 8 years. You’re a slow learner, I guess.

Old Jul 1st 2018, 10:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest self drive, self pack - or just take the absolute essentials and get rid of the rest.. You could pay someone or ask friends if they can drive a removals truck for you - you may find you can rent one quite reasonably.. you could put them up in a hotel for a few days at the end!

You could take the train perhaps.. there are cheap tickets on via rail on their website on Tuesdays. You are also traveling at the peak season so flights likely would be cheaper if you waited until September.

There may well be cheaper flights but it usually means going at an unsocial time on a mid week day. You might find removals would be cheaper if you self packed - a lot of the cost quoted will be for labour for packing up your belongings rather than the actual transportation.

For Example: Uhaul charge $3.1k for a 26ft self drive removals truck (suitable for the contents of a 3 bed house) and you can even tow your vehicle behind it. They also have UBox - where you self pack and they haul, 13 days to ship from Calgary to Ottawa and they charge $5k for 4 UBox's suitable for a 3 bedroom house removal. https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/RatesUBox/ though you may find Cubit is cheaper.

Best of luck anyway - and you probably noticed I moved this thread as well from the Maple Leaf ...

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 1st 2018 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
much smaller population can't support the multitude of airline choices that is found in the UK and Europe.

Flying within Australia is also expensive.

Try the train??????????
Any new airlines that try and break in are soon pushed out by the big two sadly.

Been like this for 50 years.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
Any new airlines that try and break in are soon pushed out by the big two sadly.

Been like this for 50 years.
There have been many charter airlines in Canada but most have gone under, sadly. I believe that due to legislation the majority were not allowed to transport between Canadian Cities / Provinces, only outwith Canada as they were Chartered and not a 'mainstream' airline. Having said that, it seems that there's a fair few new airlines that have got consent -

Flair Airlines
Wow Air
Primera Air
Jetlines
(and Westjets 'Swoop')

Air Transat are now providing flights within Canada too, so there's hope yet! https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/dea...HM&pax=1-0-0-0

You seem to know quite a lot about Canada seeing as how you don't even live here yet! Sounds like you've been planning this for a while and have done your 'due diligence', lol.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 3rd 2018 at 12:29 pm.