Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reluctantly moving, need advice

Originally Posted by bats
Is it the water ?

I don't drink tea, can't abide the smell so am in no position to judge but him indoors drinks it all the time and says that it's the same stuff.

you have probably hit the nail on the head!!

Water in Vancouver is soft but also chlorinated and treated ..... it does contain less chlorine since the new treatment plant opened in 2009/2010 with much better filtration.

Most Vancouverites notice a faint blue tinge to the water, especially when in something white.

The experts say it is now close to being the purest water in the world ..................

it may be this compared with the impurities elsewhere that makes the tea taste different

Last edited by scilly; Mar 9th 2017 at 12:09 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:49 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I guess it must be the electricity. Tea made with 110V cannot be as good as tea made with 220V.
Any one tell you should become a comedian, you would make a fortune with this kind of material.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:57 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think you're on the right track here, but I suspect that the main reason is the different blends of centigrade and fahrenheit used in Canada and the UK.

So funny, my sides are splitting!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So have a look in your cupboard and grab a pack of your best tea and then look to see what type (not brand) of tea you have. What type of tea is it?

Use this link for reference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_leaf_grading
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:34 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So have a look in your cupboard and grab a pack of your best tea and then look to see what type (not brand) of tea you have. What type of tea is it?

Use this link for reference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_leaf_grading
Regardless of whether it's Orange Pekoe or not, I still feel there is a difference in taste. Maybe it's my taste buds, maybe it what I grew up with but I taste a difference.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of whether it's Orange Pekoe or not, I still feel there is a difference in taste. Maybe it's my taste buds, maybe it what I grew up with but I taste a difference.
Nobody is questioning you on the difference in taste but we are suggesting that the tea you probably drink is Orange Pekoe.

I have a pack of Ty-Phoo tea bags which I bought in London Drugs. The box states 80 sachets Orange Pekoe.
Product of United Kingdom packed by Ty-Phoo Tea Ltd, Pasture Road, Moreton, wirral, Merseyside.
Export Pack. Not for sale in Great Britain.

Perhaps a pissed off Scouser working at Ty-Phoo knows the tea is destined for Canada and pisses all over the leaves therefore the difference in taste.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Any one tell you should become a comedian, you would make a fortune with this kind of material.
Oh dear Bex, have you lost your haha? They're just pulling your leg and having a bit of fun, it's not meant in a derogatory way.

Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

The OP is coming to Canada on a 'spousal visa', rare, but fortunate in her situation to not have to be concerned about finding work, where to live, using life savings till she finds the 'right stuff'

could this be just the perfect immigrant situation that many of us would dream of?

A different type of immigrant from the average on BE
Gosh I just knew there was some reason I married that Canadian! I did it because I was desperate for a perfect immigration scenario

The Spousal route is not that rare, there are lots of us on here that have arrived that way. It does mean we have less paperwork and hoops, but the anxieties are just the same, and in many cases worse - I have a Canadian husband and son, there is more pressure for me to settle here, because I can't throw the towel in and leave my family. You would have to be laid back to the tune of heavy medication not to have concerns about it. If your relationship is solid and you can laugh about daily stupidity together, there is every chance that you might end up happy, but it's a beast of a move and not every marriage will survive it. Very best of luck OP, just don't try to rush yourself mentally there really is a settling in process that can't be rushed

One cannot possibly equate our situation to those of the war brides Having read a lot of their stories, many of them were desperately unhappy too...it was not all a jolly romp with a happy ending...

Our water is odd. I put all my water for the kettle trough the Brita filter, tea is undrinkable without it.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:58 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is exactly the same as the stuff you get in the UK. The only difference is the name on the box.
That's what I thought too. I'm happy with Tetleys. Typhoo is available at London Drugs and I have even seen PG Tips.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 10:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's not! It tastes different. Jeez!!!!
Could be the water. As it tastes the same to me.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 5:26 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Could be the water. As it tastes the same to me.
Doubt it. I boil my water here anyway as I dislike the taste of
Vancouver tap water. No doubt some old timer will be along
within the next 6 hours to tell me the tap water tastes the same as anywhere...

Last edited by beckiwoo; Mar 14th 2017 at 5:28 am. Reason: Phone is messing up the sentence structure
Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's normally the water or the milk that is different.

Explains why starbucks coffee tastes different around the world yet they use the same beans.

I can't believe that everyone is so passionate about the taste of the tea, just deal with it.

Who said Brits like to moan
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's normally the water or the milk that is different.

Explains why starbucks coffee tastes different around the world yet they use the same beans.

I can't believe that everyone is so passionate about the taste of the tea, just deal with it.

Who said Brits like to moan
But isnt tea drinking something that Brits are known for? Like Italians with their proscuttio?
If thats your forte then quality and enjoyment would be everything. Personally, I am picky on coffee.... its got to be sweet, full of whipped cream and caramel and desperately bad for me.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 1:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad used to say that tea made from the tap water at home wasn't as good as tea made from the tap water at his work so he used to bring water home from there. Tea drinkers are soo picky, why not stick to gin?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
My Dad used to say that tea made from the tap water at home wasn't as good as tea made from the tap water at his work so he used to bring water home from there. Tea drinkers are soo picky, why not stick to gin?

Are you kidding!! Do you have the remotest idea how picky Gin drinkers are with the now bewildering array of different brands and types

Now tequila - there's a drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.