Reload this Page >

Relocation from Peterborough to the GTA

Relocation from Peterborough to the GTA

Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default Relocation from Peterborough to the GTA

Hi guys,

The Mrs has decided to continue her education and is starting up another 4 years (yes 4!!) at the Canadian college of naturpathy in good ol' Scarborough!! Seeing as its going to be a pretty heavy workload...her commutting every day from Peterborough isn't really an option. Just seeing if anyone out there knows of a good medium sized kind of town within 30 - 45 minute drive of Scarborough? So far we have Whitby and Bowmanville...as both are reasonable to both Peterborough (where I will probably continue to work) and Scarborough. I am completely unfamiliar to the entire GTA and my online research has pretty much told me nothing other than populations! Not looking to buy a place as eventually we will return to Peterborough and continue life where I have spent 4 years putting roots down!! Looking on Kijiji rent prices seem to be just a little more than here so that isn't really a factor! Any suggestions, ideas, info would be fantastic! Still 5 months away from the move but just trying to get a rough idea as to what to expect!

Cheers

Garry

Last edited by canglish; Mar 28th 2011 at 4:30 am.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation from Peterborough to the GTA

Hi Garry,

Just found you post buried in the Maple Leaf forum. Can't answer your question I'm afraid as I am in the US, but I've moved it to the main Canada forum and hopefully someone will be along soon who can share some insights.

Sue
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

I think Bowmanville is your best bet but that commute ia awfull getting from Bownville to Scarbrough can take an hour in the mornings and its often worse coming back, we just moved from port Hope to Waterdown
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ya Im sure the drive is just terrible! trying to talk her into getting the train from Oshawa to Scarborough or from Whitby to Scarborough if we end up there. I might have to take a drive down to Bowmanville this weekend and check out other spots along the way. Brooklin was also lobbed out by one of my mates today...small, country like town with a decent lacrosse team to watch in the summer, and again...not to far from Peterborough!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:22 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canglish
Hi guys,

The Mrs has decided to continue her education and is starting up another 4 years (yes 4!!) at the Canadian college of naturpathy in good ol' Scarborough!! Seeing as its going to be a pretty heavy workload...her commutting every day from Peterborough isn't really an option. Just seeing if anyone out there knows of a good medium sized kind of town within 30 - 45 minute drive of Scarborough? So far we have Whitby and Bowmanville...as both are reasonable to both Peterborough (where I will probably continue to work) and Scarborough. I am completely unfamiliar to the entire GTA and my online research has pretty much told me nothing other than populations! Not looking to buy a place as eventually we will return to Peterborough and continue life where I have spent 4 years putting roots down!! Looking on Kijiji rent prices seem to be just a little more than here so that isn't really a factor! Any suggestions, ideas, info would be fantastic! Still 5 months away from the move but just trying to get a rough idea as to what to expect!

Cheers

Garry
That's by IKEA isn't it? Shit place to get to everyday. How about living in residence Tues to Thurs and going home for the weekend.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ya I told her about the residence thing...its ridiculously expensive according to her...but when shes going to be going to school for 4 years at 30 grand a year...whats the big deal with "expensive" accommadation!!?? I believe it is right by the IKEA...think its Yonge and Sheppard? Never been near the place, this is all relayed from her. I guess we have some decisions to make!!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ya I told her about the residence thing...its ridiculously expensive according to her...but when shes going to be going to school for 4 years at 30 grand a year...whats the big deal with "expensive" accommadation!!?? I believe it is right by the IKEA...think its Yonge and Sheppard? Never been near the place, this is all relayed from her. I guess we have some decisions to make!!
I apologize in advance for posting something which will not, reasonably enough, be considered helpful, but why would someone pay $120K over four years for a qualification in quackery and deceit?

Surely it'd be simpler and more economical to work from home on an internet scam or if she's ambitious, a Ponzi scheme?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:34 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Ya Im sure the drive is just terrible! trying to talk her into getting the train from Oshawa to Scarborough or from Whitby to Scarborough if we end up there. I might have to take a drive down to Bowmanville this weekend and check out other spots along the way. Brooklin was also lobbed out by one of my mates today...small, country like town with a decent lacrosse team to watch in the summer, and again...not to far from Peterborough!
I can't see what that would do for you. From Scarborough GO station to Sheppard and Leslie is one hell of a journey on the bus(es).
You really must decide who you want to have the best (worse) journey. From Oshawa/Whitby you'd be heading east, against the traffic. She, travelling west, would get involved in horrendous traffic both morning and evening.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I can't see what that would do for you. From Scarborough GO station to Sheppard and Leslie is one hell of a journey on the bus(es).
You really must decide who you want to have the best (worse) journey. From Oshawa/Whitby you'd be heading east, against the traffic. She, travelling west, would get involved in horrendous traffic both morning and evening.
Agreed. Leaving aside my earlier unhelpful post, the idea of having one person working in P'boro and the other "working" at Sheppard & Leslie while living in the same place is a non-starter.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I apologize in advance for posting something which will not, reasonably enough, be considered helpful, but why would someone pay $120K over four years for a qualification in quackery and deceit?

Surely it'd be simpler and more economical to work from home on an internet scam or if she's ambitious, a Ponzi scheme?
You are right, its not helpful.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

I agree having lived in port hope and me working at 401 and leslie the journey was a killer, so i changed jobs and tried the Monday to Friday away from home did that for 2 years and that was also not good, i have now moved to Waterdown and commute to missasuga which really is not bad normally takes about 50 mins .
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Leslie and Sheppard.
The website says $440 a month, peanuts on top of $30K a year. That's a lot of money to shell out. Maybe persuade her to study massage therapy at Fleming instead.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Leslie and Sheppard.
The website says $440 a month, peanuts on top of $30K a year. That's a lot of money to shell out. Maybe persuade her to study massage therapy at Fleming instead.

hahaha i wish mate!! she has her heart set on this natural medicine thing...I have to be supportive, and seeing as she sent off her acceptance and 2 grand deposit yesterday...I guess she's going!! Oh...and just got some good news...it is in fact only 19 grand a year! Whatever am I going to do with the 44 grand I just saved!!

Last edited by canglish; Apr 1st 2011 at 7:50 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

hahaha i wish mate!! she has her heart set on this natural medicine thing...I have to be supportive, and seeing as she sent off her acceptance and 2 grand deposit yesterday...I guess she's going!! Oh...and just got some good news...it is in fact only 19 grand a year! Whatever am I going to do with the 44 grand I just saved!!
Spend it on books, and gas, and car maintenance. Good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Spend it on books, and gas, and car maintenance. Good luck!
haha ya really!! good thing she has a civic and its amazing on gas!! i think i may have to trade the truck in though for my commute! i love that bugger, but at $100 a tank and a massive 16 highway miles per gallon...might make for a costly week!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.