Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reliable SUV's

Wikiposts

Reliable SUV's

Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reliable SUV's

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yeah PT Cruisers are a marmite car This is the second one we've had, they are great cars to drive. I just also need to say I have only ever seen an escape from the outside, I personally have no experience of them.
We dont have the Escape now so have no loyalty towards them just really pointing out that i had no problems with it , found it a decent vehicle to drive in the snow etc - Swapped to a chevvy traverse for the 2nd vehicle now and I'm not 100% sure if that still classed as a SUV or more mini van territory but for the little I do drive it I quite like it
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
We dont have the Escape now so have no loyalty towards them just really pointing out that i had no problems with it , found it a decent vehicle to drive in the snow etc - Swapped to a chevvy traverse for the 2nd vehicle now and I'm not 100% sure if that still classed as a SUV or more mini van territory but for the little I do drive it I quite like it
The Traverse is the worst van for blindspots I've been in. It felt horribly unsafe to change lanes in it.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Traverse is the worst van for blindspots I've been in. It felt horribly unsafe to change lanes in it.
Very true regarding the blind spots
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
......SUVs are not safer, thats simply marketing BS. They are heavier and take more stopping and more to manouver out of trouble.............
Yep....marketing....

I am sure a Civic would hold-up just dandy...

Last edited by airbornesapper; Mar 11th 2013 at 2:11 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:55 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

They are heavier and take more stopping and more to manouver out of trouble.
You can however see a lot further ahead and prepare for trouble that way. Mind you, I'm not sure many Canadian drivers look further than the back of the car in front.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
You can however see a lot further ahead and prepare for trouble that way.
Not when they're driving two feet behind the car in front, which is where most SUVs around here seem to be when they're not in a ditch (or stuck sideways on top of a crash barrier).

So long as you drive them sensibly, you're probably going to be better off than most car drivers in bad weather. But unfortunately the majority of SUV drivers just seem to use the extra capabilities to get in more trouble faster.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Another post....waffling-on about the "majority"....been driving on Canadian roads since 87....we have had an SUV (two vehicle family, one car and one SUV) since 89.

I can't even recall seeing an SUV in a ditch/accident period. Of course I cannot say the same about cars, cars and caravans, cars and trucks, seen plenty over the years in Canada and Europe etc.

When we drop too one vehicle.... It will be an SUV...
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:42 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That must be why we have7 or 8 fords then, my guy is a ford guy through and through, he just cannot stand escapes AT ALL.
Im not surprised, I used to visit the plants where they were made in (we supplied A/C parts). My ex boss had the Mazda tribute version....the head lining fell down in him while driving on the 401 He was not surprised either.

Mind you, that was a while ago. Fords seem a lot better screwed together nowadays.

As the occasional driver if an AWD vehicle my impression is that it lulls you into a false sense of security, its relatively easy to get going when conditions are poor, no wheelspin or traction control intervention as there is in our FWD, and consequently without vigilance it easy to be driving a little too fast when you find that power to all 4 corners does absolutely bugger all to help you stop in a hurry.

The two biggest factors though in driving safely in the winter are how much grip do you have on the road (winter rubber makes a huge difference in most of the country), and what is going on between your ears. AWD, 4x4, SUV are all very much secondary to that.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 13th 2013 at 1:47 am.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
I can't even recall seeing an SUV in a ditch/accident period.
Do you see any other vehicles on, or off, the roads down there? I expect I could find you a crashed SUV on any given day in the GTA but it'd be a lot harder in Nunavut.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im not surprised, I used to visit the plants where they were made in (we supplied A/C parts). My ex boss had the Mazda tribute version....the head lining fell down in him while driving on the 401 He was not surprised either.

Mind you, that was a while ago. Fords seem a lot better screwed together nowadays.

As the occasional driver if an AWD vehicle my impression is that it lulls you into a false sense of security, its relatively easy to get going when conditions are poor, no wheelspin or traction control intervention as there is in our FWD, and consequently without vigilance it easy to be driving a little too fast when you find that power to all 4 corners does absolutely bugger all to help you stop in a hurry.

The two biggest factors though in driving safely in the winter are how much grip do you have on the road (winter rubber makes a huge difference in most of the country), and what is going on between your ears. AWD, 4x4, SUV are all very much secondary to that.
lol, I drive a 4wd F150, not by choice, OH likes me to be in something big and what he perceives to be safe - I hate the handling of big lumbering things and am always worried they are going to spin out from the back end or tip over (I know) So whatever I drive, I drive like a complete girl
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i quite like the 4WD setup in my Ridgeline...its FWD until it loses traction and then becomes 4WD

also comes with Honda's VSA system, which (according to Wiki)
combines the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Traction Control System (TCS) with side-slip control to help stabilize the vehicle whenever it turns more or less than desired. ABS is an existing system that prevents the vehicle's wheels from locking up under braking, especially in slippery road conditions. For the ABS to work, the system relies on the computed input from a steering angle sensor to monitor the driver's steering direction, the yaw sensor to detect the momentum of which the wheels are steering (yaw rate), and a lateral acceleration (g-force) sensor to signal the changes in speed. At the same time, the TCS will prevent wheel slip during acceleration while the side-slip control stabilizes cornering when the rear or front wheels slip sideways (during oversteer and understeer).
its been brilliant with winter tyres (tires) on it!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by haggis88
i quite like the 4WD setup in my Ridgeline...its FWD until it loses traction and then becomes 4WD

also comes with Honda's VSA system, which (according to Wiki)

its been brilliant with winter tyres (tires) on it!
Now, even by my standards, a faux truck is a vehicle requiring a strong sense of one's sexuality. What colour is it?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Now, even by my standards, a faux truck is a vehicle requiring a strong sense of one's sexuality. What colour is it?
Real men (& women) drive proper trucks? :-)
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Real men (& women) drive proper trucks? :-)
What did you get for a truck Ax ? Scared to mention what I have seeing as my Ford Escape and Traverse already got trashed
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:29 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
What did you get for a truck Ax ? Scared to mention what I have seeing as my Ford Escape and Traverse already got trashed
F150 Supercrew. 2 yr lease was cheaper than a SUV!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.