Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reliable SUV's

Wikiposts

Reliable SUV's

Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reliable SUV's

"VAG-bumming"... now that's what I call multi-tasking.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
"VAG-bumming"... now that's what I call multi-tasking.
Jings - I would have bet money that you would be one of the 1st to point that out
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:50 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Jings - I would have bet money that you would be one of the 1st to point that out
Threesome I would guess. Probably in the back of a Nazi motor, with the use of a limiter. Sounds like fun.

Not sure why he has decided to share this with us, unless its to highlight the extra room available in modern vans.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:19 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I could probably work a Max Mosely joke into "threesome nazi motor bumming" but my lawyers have advised me not to.

Back, on topic and some observations to share. I've found that really used SUV's, cheap ones, don't last. Now that might be because it is damp and salty here & they rust to hell - which is not the case in Alberta - but take my recently retired Suzuki XL7 for example. It cost me around $10k 4 years or so ago. I was the second owner. It's been a solid car for those 4 years, requiring little work - some muffler welding (see, I can say muffler without sniggering cos I'm Canadian now), a recon alternator & a few other bits and pieces. Of course the A/C stopped working as did the stereo but all in all it was reliable and cheapish transport.

At 9 years old though the steering started playing up and we were in for "replace the steering box, maybe bits of the rack, until we find out whats wrong" territory. Not to mention the need to likely change the timing belt which neccessitates some engine rebuild soonish. It was worth somewhere between $1.5-3k so repairing it wasn't an economic proposition. Hence it's retirement to the scrapyard under Ford's retire your ride scheme. (& as posted elsewhere it's replacement by a F150) The point to the tale is that a $10k vehicle might not have many years life in it before it gets BER. If you are mechanically minded you might look after it yourself but that 'aint me.
A $5k vehicle is likely to be a year or two's proposition if you are unlucky.

So buying something newer is better. Buying something abundant and for which there are many parts & independent mechanics who can fix it is sensible as well. So US made metal - Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, GM etc. I'd avoid a Jeep Liberty as I've had bad experiences -mostly under warranty, with them. At the top end of your budget a Dodge Journey might work. You can get them in AWD and they are not quite a SUV but not quite a minivan. Aside from that RAV4, Honda CRV, the dreaded Ford Escape would all be contenders. Or a Ford Exploder, GM Surburban etc if you don't mind a gas hog.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I could probably work a Max Mosely joke into "threesome nazi motor bumming" but my lawyers have advised me not to.

Back, on topic and some observations to share. I've found that really used SUV's, cheap ones, don't last. Now that might be because it is damp and salty here & they rust to hell - which is not the case in Alberta - but take my recently retired Suzuki XL7 for example. It cost me around $10k 4 years or so ago. I was the second owner. It's been a solid car for those 4 years, requiring little work - some muffler welding (see, I can say muffler without sniggering cos I'm Canadian now), a recon alternator & a few other bits and pieces. Of course the A/C stopped working as did the stereo but all in all it was reliable and cheapish transport.

At 9 years old though the steering started playing up and we were in for "replace the steering box, maybe bits of the rack, until we find out whats wrong" territory. Not to mention the need to likely change the timing belt which neccessitates some engine rebuild soonish. It was worth somewhere between $1.5-3k so repairing it wasn't an economic proposition. Hence it's retirement to the scrapyard under Ford's retire your ride scheme. (& as posted elsewhere it's replacement by a F150) The point to the tale is that a $10k vehicle might not have many years life in it before it gets BER. If you are mechanically minded you might look after it yourself but that 'aint me.
A $5k vehicle is likely to be a year or two's proposition if you are unlucky.

So buying something newer is better. Buying something abundant and for which there are many parts & independent mechanics who can fix it is sensible as well. So US made metal - Dodge, Chrysler, Ford, GM etc. I'd avoid a Jeep Liberty as I've had bad experiences -mostly under warranty, with them. At the top end of your budget a Dodge Journey might work. You can get them in AWD and they are not quite a SUV but not quite a minivan. Aside from that RAV4, Honda CRV, the dreaded Ford Escape would all be contenders. Or a Ford Exploder, GM Surburban etc if you don't mind a gas hog.
We are reluctantly looking at buying a new 'used' car. We were hoping our 2003 super rusty Mazda MPV would limp on another 15 months (when we leave Canada) but it doesn't look like it will make it
So have to fork out for something big enough for a family of 5 and their skis or camping gear which will last 15 months.
We are not car people and are pretty clueless so were looking at price and mileage and had come across Ford Escapes that fitted the category.
Curious why you say 'dreaded Ford Escape'?
Ta
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:02 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallperson
We are reluctantly looking at buying a new 'used' car. We were hoping our 2003 super rusty Mazda MPV would limp on another 15 months (when we leave Canada) but it doesn't look like it will make it
So have to fork out for something big enough for a family of 5 and their skis or camping gear which will last 15 months.
We are not car people and are pretty clueless so were looking at price and mileage and had come across Ford Escapes that fitted the category.
Ta
Have a look at what I posted about OH'S feelings about escapes. If any qualified tech said to me, I wouldn't touch one (any make or model) with a barge pole, I would be inclined to listen
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallperson
Ta
I've had numerous Escapes and they've worked well but, since they don't seat 5+skis, we've no need to argue the point here.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Just as well I didnt bet money as I missed Oink's post
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Have a look at what I posted about OH'S feelings about escapes. If any qualified tech said to me, I wouldn't touch one (any make or model) with a barge pole, I would be inclined to listen
I have heard that a couple of times but we have had 2 escapes and not had a problem with either , roomy enough for a family of four and handled very well in the winter
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
the problem with this is, that just about every tech i know always tells you never to buy the make they work on!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
the problem with this is, that just about every tech i know always tells you never to buy the make they work on!
That must be why we have7 or 8 fords then, my guy is a ford guy through and through, he just cannot stand escapes AT ALL.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:49 pm

I have heard that a couple of times but we have had 2 escapes and not had a problem with either , roomy enough for a family of four and handled very well in the winter
It must be something to do with build or maintenance or something, as I said it's not something he can put his finger on he just hates them, just before the winter oh was getting desperate for a winter driver, we were at the auctions and escape after escape went on the block, I asked again why not an escape (they are about as big as I'd prefer) and once again he said I wouldnt have one if it was given to me.

He's been dead happy with his pt cruiser this winter though theybare fantasic little cars but not what the op wants.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

We can agree to disagree on the escapes but dont get me started on those PT hairdresser cars - I would remove my arm with a rusty butter knife before I would even set foot in one of them
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:33 am

We can agree to disagree on the escapes but dont get me started on those PT hairdresser cars - I would remove my arm with a rusty butter knife before I would even set foot in one of them
Yeah PT Cruisers are a marmite car This is the second one we've had, they are great cars to drive. I just also need to say I have only ever seen an escape from the outside, I personally have no experience of them.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:54 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cushdee
Something to get me and the mrs around easily no problems in the snow etc and also when family members come over be able to take 4-5 of us out easily with luggage!
Wont be towing anything with it!
The reason I want a suv over a car is I feel Safer when driving around plus the fact it can easily carry more luggage/people/shopping without any tight squeezes.
Its nuts to buy a vehicle based on lugging visitors around once or twice a year. Just rent (or have them rent) something larger for the duration if you have to, rather than pay 24/7 in terrible fuel efficiency for that extra capability that you wont use the vast majority of the time.

SUVs are not safer, thats simply marketing BS. They are heavier and take more stopping and more to manouver out of trouble.

A civic with winter rubber will deal quite happily with 99% of snowfall here, and if the other 1% happens then you are better off at home anyway. I started life here with a Jeep thinking the same as you regarding safety, and it was a mistake I would not wish others to repeat. Thirsty to run, trucky to drive, ponderous handling, poor ride quality, supertanker stopping distances.

If you have a job where you absolutely positively must get there, then get a subaru with winter tires, otherwise any regular car will do, its the tires that get you through.

If you are not towing or dont have 5 kids, then give the big SUVs a miss, and if you need the space when company visits (the novelty will wear thin for them in a couple of years anyway) then rent a minivan.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 11th 2013 at 3:58 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.