Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Registering for OHIP

Registering for OHIP

Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:29 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering for OHIP

I used to have an OHIP card when I was on a TWP years ago and returned to Ontario as a settling PR last week. Obviously they're waiving the normal 3 month residency requirement for enrolment at the moment however it looks like enrolment still needs to happen via a paper form and can't be done online. I meant to print and complete a copy of the form before I left the UK but forgot in the panic of moving.

Does anyone know if they have the blank forms available at Service Ontario and could I just complete one there? I don't have a printer here and considering I'm currently in temporary accommodation, I don't much fancy buying one just so I can complete this form.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering for OHIP

Ontario is currently in lockdown and all the listed Service Ontario lications are closed. BUT, lockdown ends and we return to Red tomorrow and most SO locations seem to plan to reopen from tomorrow onwards. You would not of course be allowed out if you are still within your quarantine period. Maybe if you post your rough lication, a member of BE would volunteer to print the forms and drop them off to you?
Old Feb 15th 2021, 12:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Ontario is currently in lockdown and all the listed Service Ontario lications are closed. BUT, lockdown ends and we return to Red tomorrow and most SO locations seem to plan to reopen from tomorrow onwards. You would not of course be allowed out if you are still within your quarantine period. Maybe if you post your rough lication, a member of BE would volunteer to print the forms and drop them off to you?
I am still in quarantine for another week or so but I wouldn't leave until that finishes. Completing my bank account setup is a higher priority but I have an appointment for that on my first day out of quarantine.

JG knows roughly where I am but I wouldn't want to put anyone out tbh. It's not super urgent anyway because I do have travel insurance to cover my first few months here. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you can just pick up a form at Service Ontario and complete it in person. I'm not going to be flying anywhere for a while and most services are online these days so I'm not sure if I really need a printer atm.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
That does not apply to the GTA. We are still under lockdown until at least Feb 22. Grey is the next stage we will move to.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I am still in quarantine for another week or so but I wouldn't leave until that finishes. Completing my bank account setup is a higher priority but I have an appointment for that on my first day out of quarantine.

JG knows roughly where I am but I wouldn't want to put anyone out tbh. It's not super urgent anyway because I do have travel insurance to cover my first few months here. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you can just pick up a form at Service Ontario and complete it in person. I'm not going to be flying anywhere for a while and most services are online these days so I'm not sure if I really need a printer atm.
I don’t know if you can pick up the forms. My daughter went to Service Ontario a few weeks ago...she walked straight up to the counter. If you do need them printed off after the quarantine period, let me know and I can drop them off at your building’s reception.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 4:47 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don’t know if you can pick up the forms. My daughter went to Service Ontario a few weeks ago...she walked straight up to the counter. If you do need them printed off after the quarantine period, let me know and I can drop them off at your building’s reception.
Nice one JG!

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost

DG - if you do need to see a doctor for anything potentially COVID related OHIP have removed the requirement to register and wait for 3 months.
Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-3
and
If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161. INFOline staff will advise on next steps as appropriate.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 15th 2021 at 4:53 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 12:41 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Nice one JG!

DG - if you do need to see a doctor for anything potentially COVID related OHIP have removed the requirement to register and wait for 3 months.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-3
and

Ahh, thanks. So I don't need to register then for now and if I need any medical care can just show up without a card?

I have the signed 12 month tenancy contract for my new condo which has been all signed and sealed at this point plus my new employer is based in this province so proving residency shouldn't be an issue. I may just wait for a few weeks for things to settle a bit and then try complete the form at a Service Ontario branch in person. I have private insurance that should also cover me for now at least anyway.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 12:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are an absolute diamond. Thank you so much. Tbh, I probably should buy a printer at some point anyway because I will be working from home and it's always useful to have around the place, especially if you need to scan a document. They're not really expensive these days either and I should hopefully have a local credit card sorted by the end of this week.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

ArekDeBoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know how the situation with registering for OHIP looks at the moment?
thanks
Old Apr 25th 2021, 5:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss
Does anybody know how the situation with registering for OHIP looks at the moment?
thanks
some offices are open you have to make an appointment. Info is on the website