Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TAX on UK Property Income Implications

TAX on UK Property Income Implications

Old Apr 26th 2021, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default TAX on UK Property Income Implications

Hi All,

Despite the thread title sounding like kicking off a re-write of War & Peace I am hoping someone can provide a concise explanation of the following scenario that I hope to enact and what implications it means for me in Canada from an Income/Tax perspective. Apologies if this is covered elsewhere on the site or buried in the bowels of the CRA I'm really just after an understanding that uses crayons:-)

1. We have a home here (leasehold) that we plan to rent out and it will bring in circa £13K p/a and I know I will have to pay HMRC anything above my personal allowance.
2. I'll be moving over with PR status as wife and kids are nationals.
3. Don't plan to be working straight away (unless I strike lucky) but eventually will be and paying into the CRA.

What will the above scenario mean for me from a Canadian (CRA) perspective and are there any tips that you can share to make it as "efficient" as possible without it being evasive.

As always any responses greatly appreciate and happy to provide further info if required.

Last edited by dogstar; Apr 26th 2021 at 5:31 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX on UK Property Income Implications

When in doubt - consult the wiki https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Taxes-Canada

1) You will pay taxes on a) any assets valued at $100,000 or more worldwide. Failure to declare such assets will result in penalties.
1b) You will pay taxes on world income - so any rent received is taxable (offset against any taxes already paid in the UK)
1c) Ensure you obtain a valuation of the property prior to locating to Canada - you are deemed to have disposed of all property on the date you become resident for tax purposes - if you sell it later, you will have a CGT to pay. based on the 'deemed disposition v amount sold for'

Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

dogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond reputedogstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
When in doubt - consult the wiki https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Taxes-Canada

1) You will pay taxes on a) any assets valued at $100,000 or more worldwide. Failure to declare such assets will result in penalties.
1b) You will pay taxes on world income - so any rent received is taxable (offset against any taxes already paid in the UK)
1c) Ensure you obtain a valuation of the property prior to locating to Canada - you are deemed to have disposed of all property on the date you become resident for tax purposes - if you sell it later, you will have a CGT to pay. based on the 'deemed disposition v amount sold for'

Siouxie Roger that. In terms of tax on rental income on the scenario outlined will I still have to pay "additional" to CRA or will I benefit on my Canadian earned income where they consider what I have already paid to HMRC? As you may have sensed, I want to reduce my tax liabilities across both jurisdictions and welcome any advice/guidance to optimise my chances of less "grief" and better outcomes.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
Siouxie Roger that. In terms of tax on rental income on the scenario outlined will I still have to pay "additional" to CRA or will I benefit on my Canadian earned income where they consider what I have already paid to HMRC? As you may have sensed, I want to reduce my tax liabilities across both jurisdictions and welcome any advice/guidance to optimise my chances of less "grief" and better outcomes.
When in doubt, read the wiki
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_o...me_from_Canada
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: TAX on UK Property Income Implications

Originally Posted by Siouxie
T776 !
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered registering as a non resident landlord in the UK - so you end up paying tax here in Canada instead on the income you receive from rental of your UK home? You can offset various expenses against the rental you receive - it’s all laid out in Turbotax as to what’s allowable. We’ve never worked out if it’s more economic to do one rather than the other but it seemed to be a relatively painless process to set up.
an
Old Apr 26th 2021, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Apols Twitcher1958 I have had too many sherbets tonight but happy to continue this convo.
Hit me up...I am not a robot!
Old Apr 27th 2021, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogstar
Apols Twitcher1958 I have had too many sherbets tonight but happy to continue this convo.
Hit me up...I am not a robot!
Sounds like a good night! Particularly for a Monday.
It’s actually mentioned in the link that Siouxie posted above which links on to the gov.uk website.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Sounds like a good night! Particularly for a Monday.
It’s actually mentioned in the link that Siouxie posted above which links on to the gov.uk website.
Twitcher1958 Thanks and I will examine the thread in detail later. I've looked at the NRL scheme and whilst I see how it benefits UK Gov in terms of collecting TAX it's not obvious as to how it will benefit me abroad in respect of CRA. I'll be taking less than my personal allowance in the UK so probably won't even pay any tax on it here.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

how do you register as a non resident landlord please?
Old Apr 27th 2021, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shelley748
how do you register as a non resident landlord please?
Check out gov.uk or just google UK Non resident Landlord - I’d post a link but my iPad is temperamental at present and it usually doesn’t work.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 5:53 pm
Banned

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
To get your UK rental income paid without deduction of UK tax if you’re an individual landlord of a UK property and normally live outside the UK, you can:
  • use the online service
  • fill in form on-screen, print and post to HMRC