Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Seal Program study books?

Red Seal Program study books?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Red Seal Program study books?

wahts a journeyman licence
Old Oct 28th 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

bobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kullymack
wahts a journeyman licence

Its a test admistered by the province thats allows you to work in your designated trade.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

watergirl73 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is currently studying the Heavy Duty Truck and Coach Mechanics in an Ontario College Apprenticeship program. If I can help you out in any way I will. If you have any questions I can ask him I would be glad to.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

watergirl73 has your husband used the ase test prep manuals from thomson delmar learning and is he studying gasoline engines as part of the test prep?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

watergirl73 is an unknown quantity at this point

No my husband just paid the 1300 dollars for the course bought the books for 7 hundred dollars and studies from Sept 2007until Jan 2008then does his first level Jan 2008until March2008 and then his second level March2008 until May2008. Then does a 4 month co-op then his apprenticeship(6000 hours) and after he completes his hours he goes back to college for 8 weeks for Level 3 when you write your red seal exam. DONE!!!!

That's all I can tell you about the Ontario College course for T310 Truck and Coach Mechanic.

Hope this helps!!!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi KullyMack,
Which province in Canada do you want to locate to.
I have dealt with the Industry training board of Alberta so may be able to help if it is Alberta you fancy.

If it is another province, speak to some companies or other Canadian Journeymen/women and find out who or where to contact.
In Alberta you are allowed to "Write" the exam without doing any Apprentice training if you can prove your work experience.

I must warn you if the exam you write is the same as the one I did the Pass mark minimum is 70%. I will say that the exams are a fair mixture of technical and practical with some common sense thrown in for good measure.

Regards

ScottishJim
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

daveh123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottishJim
Hi KullyMack,
Which province in Canada do you want to locate to.
I have dealt with the Industry training board of Alberta so may be able to help if it is Alberta you fancy.

If it is another province, speak to some companies or other Canadian Journeymen/women and find out who or where to contact.
In Alberta you are allowed to "Write" the exam without doing any Apprentice training if you can prove your work experience.

I must warn you if the exam you write is the same as the one I did the Pass mark minimum is 70%. I will say that the exams are a fair mixture of technical and practical with some common sense thrown in for good measure.

Regards

ScottishJim
Hi Jim,

I am due to take the automotive service tech exam in Alberta early next year. I have been a mechanic in UK for 12 years. I dont suppose there are any papers with example questions are there, or should I just get the study guide??
Thanks, Dave.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi Dave,
I too tried to get examples of previous exams thinking the Alberta/Canadian exams were like the UK where previous exam papers are used to get you used to the doing the exam. I remember getting a funny look from their people when I asked for examples of the previous exams.

The Heavy Equipment Technician exam that I "Wrote" (You write an exam in Alberta not sit it) was set for several years ie. it's the exact same exam for several years, that's why you can't get a hold of previous papers.

Because I was from overseas I would have been able to resit, sorry rewrite the exam two days later if I failed, also I was informed if I had passed or failed the exam about an hour after finishing it. Fortunately I passed it first time.

Speak to the people at the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training, Harley Sanders at the Calgary office was very helpful, there website which you may have already found is www.tradesecrets.org.
On the tradesecrets website you can check the % content of the exam you will write so you can figure out what parts to study more on.
I sent for the full four years of study modules to brush up on the technical stuff and learn the different terms used. I had to prove my work record and experience so I could do the exam without training, this was a bit of hassle as I have been self employed most of my working life so I only had 1 letter of reference from a previous employer.

Good luck

Jim
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Jim.
Yes I have had to prove my work experience which wasn't much of a problem.
I should send for the study guides to be on the safe side.
Dave.

Originally Posted by ScottishJim
Hi Dave,
I too tried to get examples of previous exams thinking the Alberta/Canadian exams were like the UK where previous exam papers are used to get you used to the doing the exam. I remember getting a funny look from their people when I asked for examples of the previous exams.

The Heavy Equipment Technician exam that I "Wrote" (You write an exam in Alberta not sit it) was set for several years ie. it's the exact same exam for several years, that's why you can't get a hold of previous papers.

Because I was from overseas I would have been able to resit, sorry rewrite the exam two days later if I failed, also I was informed if I had passed or failed the exam about an hour after finishing it. Fortunately I passed it first time.

Speak to the people at the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training, Harley Sanders at the Calgary office was very helpful, there website which you may have already found is www.tradesecrets.org.
On the tradesecrets website you can check the % content of the exam you will write so you can figure out what parts to study more on.
I sent for the full four years of study modules to brush up on the technical stuff and learn the different terms used. I had to prove my work record and experience so I could do the exam without training, this was a bit of hassle as I have been self employed most of my working life so I only had 1 letter of reference from a previous employer.

Good luck

Jim
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daveh123
Thanks Jim.
Yes I have had to prove my work experience which wasn't much of a problem.
I should send for the study guides to be on the safe side.
Dave.
Hi dave just wondering if you had looked at any study guides?
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kullymack
Hi dave just wondering if you had looked at any study guides?
I think you have to send off for them and we leave for Calgary on Saturday so I was going to wait until then. ( so much to do anyway, no time to study!)
I did find a site called Exambank which had example questions but I'm not sure if they are similar to the actual exam.

Are you due to sit the exam??

Last edited by daveh123; Dec 31st 2007 at 9:58 am. Reason: More info
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dave,
Have you spoken to anyone at SAIT or the Industry Training and Apprentice folks or are you doing an exam through some other body?

Good luck

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:25 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi have alook at this OH was sent this to checkout www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca might help.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

larry cavero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jim: IM planning to do the"challenge exam" for the heavy duty equipment tech.IM already send the application,now please do you have a copy of the exam? or whats on the exam?,what books do you recommend?,there is any courses to prepare you for the exam??,please and thanks,

Larry ([email protected])
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by larry cavero
Hi Jim: IM planning to do the"challenge exam" for the heavy duty equipment tech.IM already send the application,now please do you have a copy of the exam? or whats on the exam?,what books do you recommend?,there is any courses to prepare you for the exam??,please and thanks,

Larry ([email protected])
Hi Larry,
See post 23 above.

The training modules... I ordered the full 4 years worth of modules. This covered from very basic to 4th year apprentice training year.
They may have to order in some of the modules so inquire about them ASAP but they shipped mine out on a Thursday and the box was at my doorstep on the Monday, as the girl at Industry and Apprentice said when I thanked her for the quick delivery "Holy cow! That was fast".

Get onto the trade secrets website, locate the trade you are in and find exam counciling page (I think they call it that), this will give you the structure of the exam which will let you see what areas make the most points so you can be more selective in any studying.

Because you are from overseas the exact same exam can be rewritten two days later so try to remember as many of the questions.

Speak to the folks at Industry and Apprentice training they are very helpful and nice people.
If there is any terminology in any of the questions that you do not understand do what I was told to do, Quietly leave the exam room and ask one of the staff to clarify the term for you. Most of the Guys there are Tradesmen including mechanics. I felt everyone was being as helpful as possible and wanted you to pass. The other thing is that the exam also has common sense as well as the technical questions.

The biggest pressure I found was the 70% pass requirement, I had time to go through the exam questions at the end and I figured that I had got 2/3rds of the answers (only 66%) so it was touch and go as far as I was concerned.
I found out later that I had got 78% (Phew!!!)

The other thing is because you are from overseas they will let you know within an hour or so if you have passed or otherwise.

I know this will be a stressful time for you but it will be worth it.

Good luck

Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.