Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Seal Program study books?

Red Seal Program study books?

Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future
Default Red Seal Program study books?

Hi, I have found a few jobs for Truck and Transport Mechanics that don't need any Canadian Qualifications - but would have more choice if I take and pass the Red Seal exam.

Does anyone know of study guides, or books ect... to practice for the exam? (thanks Mandymoochoops for sample questions!)

I have e-mailed Red Seal, and Manitoba Education dept. but have had no reply - I will call them to find out more info if I don't hear anything, just wondered if anyone had taken the exam for Truck Mechanics?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Red Seal Program study books?

hi, i would be very interested in this as my OH will have to do this exam..would really appreciate it if u would keep this thread updated
thanx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES
Hi, I have found a few jobs for Truck and Transport Mechanics that don't need any Canadian Qualifications - but would have more choice if I take and pass the Red Seal exam.

Does anyone know of study guides, or books ect... to practice for the exam? (thanks Mandymoochoops for sample questions!)

I have e-mailed Red Seal, and Manitoba Education dept. but have had no reply - I will call them to find out more info if I don't hear anything, just wondered if anyone had taken the exam for Truck Mechanics?
Hi I called the Red Seal in BC ,the guy said that they don't have any
study guide for the exam. He said to contact the College that is
offering the apprenticeship course. In your case would be RRC,MB
http://www.rrc.mb.ca/index.php?pid=2874
He pointed out that NOA for the Red Seal can be found on the link below.
See FAQ#3
http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/about/faq_e.htm
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
See FAQ#3
Hope that helps.
Yoong
thats the trouble with the red seal and similar exams the only books are through the college and you have to be on the course to buy the books. Its a catch 22 situation.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

See FAQ#3
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Thanks for finding out! That explains why I can't find any books ect........

Looks like I will have to go for a job that will let me train whilst I work = less money (the work will be much the same as in the U.K., just different terminology)

I have found a distance learning course offered by Penn Foster, in Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck - but it will only give me a career Diploma at the end. Does anyone know if this would be seen as anything worthwhile by an employer?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES
Thanks for finding out! That explains why I can't find any books ect........

Looks like I will have to go for a job that will let me train whilst I work = less money (the work will be much the same as in the U.K., just different terminology)

I have found a distance learning course offered by Penn Foster, in Diesel Mechanics/Heavy Truck - but it will only give me a career Diploma at the end. Does anyone know if this would be seen as anything worthwhile by an employer?
You're welcome.I am wondering whether you are interested in working
as a transit operator ? Calgary,Edmonton and Winnipeg Transits are
looking for transit operators.

http://www.winnipegtransit.com/main/employment.jsp
http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server..._full_time.htm
http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/j..._postings.html

Perhaps an opportunity to get the apprenticeship and Heavy Diesel/Truck Red Seal Cert.through the Transit route. Just a thought.

Yoong
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

You're welcome.I am wondering whether you are interested in working
as a transit operator ? Calgary,Edmonton and Winnipeg Transits are
looking for transit operators.

http://www.winnipegtransit.com/main/employment.jsp
http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server..._full_time.htm
http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/j..._postings.html

Perhaps an opportunity to get the apprenticeship and Heavy Diesel/Truck Red Seal Cert.through the Transit route. Just a thought.

Yoong

Thanks again!

I take it Transit is similar to a local Council in the U.K. and provides public transport, and has trucks for various jobs?

The only problem I could foresee, is I think they would need a Canadian License with the employee?

Chris
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Red Seal Program study books?

[QUOTE=CHRISRICHES;5326931]Hi, I have found a few jobs for Truck and Transport Mechanics that don't need any Canadian Qualifications - but would have more choice if I take and pass the Red Seal exam.

I have e-mailed Red Seal, and Manitoba Education dept. but have had no reply - I will call them to find out more info if I don't hear anything, just wondered if anyone had taken the exam for Truck Mechanics?[/QUO
Hi I have just joined British Expats and work as a truck mechanic in England with a UK Itrec license. I am seeking study guides and example questions for Red seal exam so I can take the exam before landing in Canada. If you have any information I would appreciate it you would not mind sharing information with me and visa versa.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:51 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Have you tried orderline.com

also look at amazon.ca and ebay.ca

Dont know if this will help, but when you are using a search engine use google.ca there where loads of info on there

gill
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Red Seal Program study books?

I really appreciate the information you have provided. Thank you Gill
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:39 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Not problem, we struggled getting info for the red seal electricians, so any help we can pass on just yell.

Gill
Old Oct 26th 2007, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Not quite study aids, but a site that lists the books for each given course.
a BC site, but it should be similar for all red seal trades.

BCIT Vancouver book store

just look up the BCIT course & code and get a list of recommended course material

cheers
Jerry

http://www.bcitbookstore.ca/

i.e.
diesel mechanic (ft) DEMX

Displaying Textbooks for DEMX - ELTT, section FT GNW (YOUNG)
New Price Used Price Qty Type
Diesel Mechanics Eltt Bcit Custom Pkg (7850000214), Alberta Modules
Binding Kit/Set/Package Required $239.50
Ships next business day No used at this time New

Electronic & Electrical Systems: Fos (8Th), Deere
Binding Paperback
Edition 8
ISBN 978-0-86691-326-3 Required $73.50

Diesel Technology ('07 Revision), Norman
Goodheart
Binding Hardback
Copyright 07
ISBN 978-1-59070-770-8 Required $105.95

Diesel Technology ('07 Revision) Wkbk, Norman
Goodheart
Binding Paperback
Copyright 07
ISBN 978-1-59070-771-5 Optional $54.95
Ships next business day $41.25
Ships next business day UsedNew

Hydraulics : Fos (Fos1007nc), Deere
Binding Paperback
Copyright 07
Edition 7
ISBN 978-0-86691-335-5 Required $60.95

Diesel Mech Eltt Line A To G Custom 2007 Pkg (7960, Bc Govt
Binding Kit/Set/Package
Copyright 07 Required $136.50
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Red Seal Program study books?

Thank you Jerry Brewer for the information.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: Red Seal Program study books?

Has anybody heard of ASE test preparation Study Guide Set for medium and heavy duty trucks? Are they compatible to be used with the red seal trade test for truck mechanics?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

bobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud ofbobbiel has much to be proud of

The requiment in Alberta is that you hold a journeyman license, before you can write the red seal exam. I;m not sure if the same condition applies to other provinces, but my guess is that it would.
The red seal program was developed to enable mobility of workers between province,s, without it my Alberta trade papers are not valid in another province. So I suggest you find out for sure if you are eligible to write it.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.