Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Deer - Alberta

Red Deer - Alberta

Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Deer - Alberta

Originally Posted by jericho
Do people actually live in Red Deer? I always thought it was just the place to stop off to refill the coffee between Calgary and Edmonton.
I could really fall out with some people!

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It's a nice little town, way more attractive than Calgary or Edmonton.
I agree wholeheartedly here!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Somebody has to make the coffee.
OMG are people gonna start rocking up outside my house expecting refills, my tea is much better than my coffee

Originally Posted by smivers
There's so much more to Red Deer than just the coffee. Try the Little Ice Cream And Soda Shoppe on Ross (50th) St/40th-ish Ave next time ;o).
I agree the the Little Ice cream and Soda shoppe even if I have only been once, the ice cream is really good. There is actually a hell of a lot to do in Red Deer.

Couple of good things: It's only 1.5 hours away from Edmonton or Calgary if you want to see a big city, also convenient for two international Airports. It's only 15/20 minutes away from the redneck riviera and about the same distance for 3 other decent size lakes. It has all the conveniences of a big City without the drawbacks of busy rush hours and the ability to drive one end of town to the other in 20 mins even in rush hour. It has it's own downhill ski area. Our only concern with Red Deer is the rate it is growing, before long it will lose it's small town feel and we'll be moving out
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N V
Hello Everyone!

Found this forum yesterday and amazed at the weath of information!!!! Sorry if I have made a bad booboo concerning forum etiquette - bit overwhelmed with all the info so please forgive me if I have!

My family and I have discussed moving to Canada as a pipe dream, but decided (after looking at building our own home here in the UK - in the future) to looking at what we would ultimately want - to immigrate to Canada permenantly. So beginning to look at how the process works and whats involved etc.

We are looking at Alberta and Red Deer, but have thoughts that anywhere in Canada will be a good place to start, bearing in mind job hunting. I will be a primary school teacher (which sounds like it will be a struggle to get a job) and my OH is an I.T. Engineer. So at the moment after reading some of the information on here and the CIC website that we may have trouble getting a visa and getting jobs over there.

Anyway - looking forward to researching a possible move to Canada!

Best
Nikkiy
Is it just me, or did anyone else check through the OP's posts to see where they screwed up?

Welcome to the forum!

Red Deer is a great place in very many ways. Have fun planning and dreaming.

I've taught in Alberta for 10 years so if you have any questions .....
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Hi
I'm also a primary school teacher about to embark on my first teaching post here in Alberta, so if I can help out in any way with questions about how to go about trying to teach here then just ask. As many say, it's not easy but it's certainly not impossible either providing you think outside the box a little and are darn determined! I came over as a PR on the old skilled worker visa system though.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Do people actually live in Red Deer? I always thought it was just the place to stop off to refill the coffee between Calgary and Edmonton.
It's a bit deceptive because of the way the town is laid out, you think it's just a bunch of gas stations next to the highway but actually it's quite a big town with the college there down on the Red Deer river. 100,000 people I think.

I find when I drive through Red Deer the way the highway bends I end up looking west a lot but most of the town is east of the QE2.

Third largest town in Alberta, I always think Lethbridge is larger but it's not.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Code:
It's only 15/20 minutes away from the redneck riviera and about the same distance for 3 other decent size lakes.
We lived in Red Deer when we first moved to Alberta. We now live on the redneck riviera and love it. We found a house with a large garden with open space behind opening onto fields, not that easy to find in Red Deer with all of the new developments.

We do get the rednecks from Red Deer and beyond throughout the summer, but as we work in Red Deer we can shop there and avoid them at the lakeside when we come home.

Red Deer is also a City not a Town, even Lacombe (north of Red Deer) is now being granted City status as well.

We hope you will be happy wherever you decide to settle.

Kev & Mandy
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trophy
Code:
It's only 15/20 minutes away from the redneck riviera and about the same distance for 3 other decent size lakes.
We lived in Red Deer when we first moved to Alberta. We now live on the redneck riviera and love it. We found a house with a large garden with open space behind opening onto fields, not that easy to find in Red Deer with all of the new developments.

We do get the rednecks from Red Deer and beyond throughout the summer, but as we work in Red Deer we can shop there and avoid them at the lakeside when we come home.

Red Deer is also a City not a Town, even Lacombe (north of Red Deer) is now being granted City status as well.

We hope you will be happy wherever you decide to settle.

Kev & Mandy
I personally would be put off from the weekenders in the summer, the difficulty of finding a parking space, the busyness, the hustle and bustle and the noisiness of the weekends in the summer and the virtual impossibility of finding a bit of vacant beach if I desired of Sylvan, however there are a tonne of Brits living there so I must be missing something.... I'm sorry if I offended you with the Redneck Riviera comment but that is how it's known in town.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I personally would be put off from the weekenders in the summer, the difficulty of finding a parking space, the busyness, the hustle and bustle and the noisiness of the weekends in the summer and the virtual impossibility of finding a bit of vacant beach if I desired of Sylvan, however there are a tonne of Brits living there so I must be missing something.... I'm sorry if I offended you with the Redneck Riviera comment but that is how it's known in town.
No offense taken, that's how we know it as well.

Most weekends during the summer we just avoid the main lake area and spend our time exploring elsewhere. That's why we didn't go for a lakefront property.

We are toward the southern edge of Sylvan, quite close to Highway 11 so we don't need to go into town unless absolutely necessary, and can still get to Boston Pizza or Wallymart if needed.

It's a matter of knowing when is best to go down into Sylvan if we want to visit a particular restaurant but haven't encountered any problems so far.

Kev & Mandy

Last edited by Trophy; Aug 9th 2010 at 10:10 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Another thumbs up for Red Deer too, also as has been mentioned Lacombe is not a bad place either, if you want to go more Redneck, then there is also Ponoka, in the vicinity too - however that is moving more towards Edmonton.