Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Deer - Alberta

Red Deer - Alberta

Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:48 pm
N V
Just Joined

N V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really nice
Default Red Deer - Alberta

Hello Everyone!

Found this forum yesterday and amazed at the weath of information!!!! Sorry if I have made a bad booboo concerning forum etiquette - bit overwhelmed with all the info so please forgive me if I have!

My family and I have discussed moving to Canada as a pipe dream, but decided (after looking at building our own home here in the UK - in the future) to looking at what we would ultimately want - to immigrate to Canada permenantly. So beginning to look at how the process works and whats involved etc.

We are looking at Alberta and Red Deer, but have thoughts that anywhere in Canada will be a good place to start, bearing in mind job hunting. I will be a primary school teacher (which sounds like it will be a struggle to get a job) and my OH is an I.T. Engineer. So at the moment after reading some of the information on here and the CIC website that we may have trouble getting a visa and getting jobs over there.

Anyway - looking forward to researching a possible move to Canada!

Best
Nikkiy
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:53 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red Deer - Alberta

No apology necessary that I can see! Main thing is to enjoy!

If however you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Please see my reply to you post in the welcome inn (if you haven't already).

Keep smiling!

Alistair.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:05 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you...

And there I was thinking you had seen a ten foot tall red deer or something...darn it!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikkiy,

Welcome to BE and all that, we live in Red Deer if you have any questions at all on the area then ask away, we've been here for 5 years so have a pretty good feel of the area and of the city, we actually love living here for the most part and are very glad Red Deer chose us.

Couple of school websites for you to look at, also youtube Red Deer as Red Deer tourism have a couple of bits on there.
www.rdpsd.ab.ca
www.rdcrd.ab.ca

I will be away for the next couple of weeks but I'm sure my addiction will get me logging on to here at least next week

Piff
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N V
Hello Everyone!

Found this forum yesterday and amazed at the weath of information!!!! Sorry if I have made a bad booboo concerning forum etiquette - bit overwhelmed with all the info so please forgive me if I have!

My family and I have discussed moving to Canada as a pipe dream, but decided (after looking at building our own home here in the UK - in the future) to looking at what we would ultimately want - to immigrate to Canada permenantly. So beginning to look at how the process works and whats involved etc.

We are looking at Alberta and Red Deer, but have thoughts that anywhere in Canada will be a good place to start, bearing in mind job hunting. I will be a primary school teacher (which sounds like it will be a struggle to get a job) and my OH is an I.T. Engineer. So at the moment after reading some of the information on here and the CIC website that we may have trouble getting a visa and getting jobs over there.

Anyway - looking forward to researching a possible move to Canada!

Best
Nikkiy
Welcome to BE. Take a look through the Job Hunting and Quick Guide to Immigrating in the wiki as a starting point.

Out of interest what drew you to Red Deer?

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 6th 2010 at 2:54 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:17 pm
N V
Just Joined

N V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really niceN V is just really nice

Thanks for your replies!!!

The links are great! Ta!

What was the draw to Red Deer = well my OH likes Edmonton and I always had a yen for Calgary - so we went in the middle! Plus my OH comes from Bristol and is a city lad and I'm a small town girl so Red Deer seemed a good spot to recce first. Alberta is where we would like to settle eventually but we'll go where the jobs are!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N V
Thanks for your replies!!!

The links are great! Ta!

What was the draw to Red Deer = well my OH likes Edmonton and I always had a yen for Calgary - so we went in the middle! Plus my OH comes from Bristol and is a city lad and I'm a small town girl so Red Deer seemed a good spot to recce first. Alberta is where we would like to settle eventually but we'll go where the jobs are!
Red Deer is a nice town, been there many times. We also have a member or two living out that way. Teaching unfortunately is very difficult to break into, even for Canadians. IT may be easier depending on what your OH is qualified in.

Good luck in your quest.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:36 pm
N V
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Red Deer is a nice town, been there many times. We also have a member or two living out that way. Teaching unfortunately is very difficult to break into, even for Canadians. IT may be easier depending on what your OH is qualified in.

Good luck in your quest.
Thankyou Aviator!!! We have a long way to go yet and many years of research ahead but this forum is helping us make a start

Hubby is completing a open degree with OU with software background - so hoping to branch out with web designing and software etc, as well as his current occupation as a IT engineer.

Thanks for your replies everyone - thanks for making us feel welcome!!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Do people actually live in Red Deer? I always thought it was just the place to stop off to refill the coffee between Calgary and Edmonton.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by jericho
Do people actually live in Red Deer? I always thought it was just the place to stop off to refill the coffee between Calgary and Edmonton.
It's a nice little town, way more attractive than Calgary or Edmonton.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody has to make the coffee.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It's a nice little town, way more attractive than Calgary or Edmonton.
Neither of which are little towns
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

It really doesn't compare to Calgary or Edmonton - Red Deer has a nice towny feel to it, but it's not so dead that there's nothing to do, and it seems to be growing all the time. My wife has lived here for three years and I've been here for 3 months now. We're hoping that once my residency comes through I'll be able to find a job here so we can stay rather than moving to one of the big cities. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything, and I'll see what I can do.

Andy
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

There's so much more to Red Deer than just the coffee. Try the Little Ice Cream And Soda Shoppe on Ross (50th) St/40th-ish Ave next time ;o).
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Neither of which are little towns
Which is why it is way more attractive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.