Reload this Page >

IT Recruitment/Sponsorship BC

IT Recruitment/Sponsorship BC

Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

MICC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Recruitment/Sponsorship BC

Hi Everyone
Always come to the BE Forums to find out any info we need on getting to Canada, think with the amount of information out there to consume, it's great having you guys to answer questions and queries etc.

So fingers crossed....

After countless days, hours and minutes spent on the telephone, email and Skype, we are still no closer to arranging any face to face interviews when we hit BC in a few weeks time on our recce visit.

I just wondered if anyone could help with any contacts for IT Recruitment agencies based in and around Kamloops or Vancouver Island areas, that are familiar with clients from the UK and have knowledge and experience with dealing with sponsorship and TWP's. OH is a Project Manager/Informations Systems Manager with over 15 years experience.

We are currently in "the que" for work permits, but are trying to move things along as both our kids start secondary school in two years, and would ideally like them to be settled in new homes/schools by then.

Also we are constantly being told that in order to be considered for a job without a visa, it has to have been advertised for a set amount of time in Canada, does anyone know exactly how long it has to be advertised and is there a database, website or contact to find out WHICH jobs are still available and open to international jobseekers...?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Recruitment/Sponsorship BC

Originally Posted by MICC
Hi Everyone
Always come to the BE Forums to find out any info we need on getting to Canada, think with the amount of information out there to consume, it's great having you guys to answer questions and queries etc.

So fingers crossed....

After countless days, hours and minutes spent on the telephone, email and Skype, we are still no closer to arranging any face to face interviews when we hit BC in a few weeks time on our recce visit.

I just wondered if anyone could help with any contacts for IT Recruitment agencies based in and around Kamloops or Vancouver Island areas, that are familiar with clients from the UK and have knowledge and experience with dealing with sponsorship and TWP's. OH is a Project Manager/Informations Systems Manager with over 15 years experience.

We are currently in "the que" for work permits, but are trying to move things along as both our kids start secondary school in two years, and would ideally like them to be settled in new homes/schools by then.

Also we are constantly being told that in order to be considered for a job without a visa, it has to have been advertised for a set amount of time in Canada, does anyone know exactly how long it has to be advertised and is there a database, website or contact to find out WHICH jobs are still available and open to international jobseekers...?

Thanks in advance.

You can always try scanning www.eluta.ca or http://www.techjobsvancouver.com/ to grasp a sense of the local industry and what jobs are currently being advertised.

Good luck!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:02 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This link (which I'm sure you must have seen already) has some good info

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...ledworkers.htm

http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/provincial...ccupations.pdf

We could not recruit a database administrator during 2007, those that applied from within Canada were not suitable. I suggested they hire my friend in England and they did via LMO and a TWP.

His first phone interview was Oct 2007 and his first day at work was April 1st 2008.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Wouldn't bother with the Island, although I love it here, there's very little work in our field (I'm still looking for work after nearly 6 months here).
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
Wouldn't bother with the Island, although I love it here, there's very little work in our field (I'm still looking for work after nearly 6 months here).
What about working for the BC Government? Last time I checked their website they were crying out for IT people in Victoria.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

They are now busy cutting back (I've had notifications of at least 3 contracts being cancelled in the past week) and since it's all unionised, they rarely hire from outside their own anyway.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Guys... thanks for the replies so far, we are keen on the island, but are totally open to the idea of staying on the mainland, it's a case of wherever the jobs are - we'll go, really, pref in BC though... does this help any? Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:21 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

They are now busy cutting back (I've had notifications of at least 3 contracts being cancelled in the past week) and since it's all unionised, they rarely hire from outside their own anyway.
I know 3 Brits who got it in with BC gov here on the island in the last 18 months or so - 1 in comms and 2 in IT. They got sponsored for PNP, so it isn't impossible.

PaulandNikki - specifically what type of work are you looking for, and do you already have PR?

MICC - it is worth trying for govt positions, and also check Viatec regularly (I found my software job there and they weren't a company that normally consider sponsorship but as they had already interviewed many unsuitable people they took a punt on me and I got PNP - there is not a huge volume of jobs here, but equally there are a lot of companies seeking specific skill sets which are not in abundance in the available labour pool). I know CGI is recruiting for quite a few posts (maybe not ideal but a foot in the door is a foot in the door!), plus maybe register with Sapphire recruiting.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Background is in technical sales/support (and of course projecet management but everyone has to do that), at the moment I'm mostly looking for business development/technical sales type roles, going in and finding out what the client wants to do and figuring out how to do it (some people call it business analysis over here), but I'm open to most things. I'm a landed immigrant with full PR.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:34 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Background is in technical sales/support (and of course projecet management but everyone has to do that), at the moment I'm mostly looking for business development/technical sales type roles, going in and finding out what the client wants to do and figuring out how to do it (some people call it business analysis over here), but I'm open to most things. I'm a landed immigrant with full PR.
I will PM you for some more info (if you like). Perhaps I can help.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

try cold calling potential employers rather than the recruitment agencies. I had more luck doing that.

(am currently in Vancouver for a 1 week recce and have four informational interviews lined up)

also, try to aim for informational interviews rather than interviewing for a job, that might get the ball rolling.

--but then of course, I'm more or less at the same stage as you, with the difference that I am PR
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the info, we have also been cold calling companies that are relevant to our jobs, but of course as soon as we mention sponsorship, we hit a brick wall.

We'll try the BC Gov as soon as we get home from work tomorrow, we have had knock backs from them before, but unlike 85% of the jobs we apply for they sent us a letter through the post saying we'd been unsuccessful, most of the time we don't hear anything at all.

We have managed to line up a couple of "information interviews" with agencies (Sapphire & ITI), but even one actual job interview when we go over at the end of March would feel like progress... these recce trips can be very costly, as I'm sure you're all aware!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
This is the Job Bank where the job must be advertised. http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro_eng.aspx

The rules on how long it must be advertised are here
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...crutment.shtml
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jonboy E - Thanks very much for the links, will have a browse on both sites. Any further info we'd be v grateful! Thanks -
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Jonboy E - Thanks very much for the links, will have a browse on both sites. Any further info we'd be v grateful! Thanks -
Your are welcome.

Take Ikatita's advice in post #11.

You are at a huge disadvantage compared to an job hunter who can legally work in Canada. No employer wants to go through the hassle of sponsoring a foreign worker if they can find local people who can do the job. By all means talk to the recruitment agencies. They will give you information about the job market and expected salaries, but they won't find a job for you. They are in business to make money and will place a candidate who can earn them a commission today, rather than recommend people who might be able to earn them a commission some time in the future - if the employer and the candidate gets their paperwork lined up properly.

Your best chance is to find out what employer's need, then adapt your resume (and maybe take the necessary training) to meet their needs. You also need to identify what skills you have that are not available in the local market so you can highlight these. This is all information you will get from talking to employers.

IMO your best chance, at this stage, of finding work is not to go to job interviews, but set up informational meetings with as many employers as you can. Remember, you are seeking information, not a job. Armed with this information you can then make a much more focused and targeted job hunting on your next recce. Unfortunately you will likely have to be prepared to make this investment. However, if you keep in touch with the people you met on your first trip you stand a good chance of being told of suitable jobs before they go on the open market, and might even get a referral.