Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommend a restaurant - Downtown Van

Recommend a restaurant - Downtown Van

Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend a restaurant - Downtown Van

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No they don't - stop making things up.
Yes they do. It is not even an arguable point.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes they do. It is not even an arguable point.
I won't argue that chinese food is better here than most places - but people will book vacations here just for the chinese food? I don't think so.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I won't argue that chinese food is better here than most places - but people will book vacations here just for the chinese food? I don't think so.
You don't need to book a vacation in Vancouver to appreciate the oriental food that's available. When I'm in the city for business or pleasure, a visit to Richmond's something to look forward to for a meal out. It's part of the attraction of visiting.

Stop being so provocative and pedantic, it's tiresome to read and doesn't add anything to the thread.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you don't, but just because you don't think so doesn't mean it ain't so.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I flew out to Vancouver last month specifically for the Chinese food. Unfortunately we had to endure a wedding before we could eat it...........
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:43 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you don't, but just because you don't think so doesn't mean it ain't so.
True - it is just my opinion. But unless you have actual evidence it is no less valid that yours.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
You don't need to book a vacation in Vancouver to appreciate the oriental food that's available. When I'm in the city for business or pleasure, a visit to Richmond's something to look forward to for a meal out. It's part of the attraction of visiting.

Stop being so provocative and pedantic, it's tiresome to read and doesn't add anything to the thread.
JonboyE is right that Chinese food is going to be good here given the make up of the population - but I doubt anyone makes specific trips here to enjoy the food. The food they eat while they are here may make their trip more enjoyable and give them pleasure - but as a primary reason for coming? Unlikely (which was my original point that JonboyE contradicted)

This isn't really a criticism of Vancouver, it has this in common with 99% of cities in the world - people don't really go to London for the food either.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Chinese food is pretty good here but not anymore outstanding than other N. American cities with a large Chinese population. Its not like you are going to get exotic food such as goat lung with red peppers or panda brain soup.

There are some very good restaurants here but in general the standard is just very average. There just isn't the same quality and variety of larger cities such NY, London, Paris and Sydney.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...esevan142.html

http://www.fortunecookiechronicles.c...he-worldsorta/

Note 2 of the 5 best in N America are in Vancouver.

Because a number of high level chefs came from Hong Kong, combined with the abundance of fresh seafood, Vancouver has acquired a reputation as the home of the best Chinese food in the world. Because of the variety of migrants to the City and because Hong Kong had originally been a diverse magnet for so many different kinds of Chinese, Vancouver has developed a diversity of Chinese food cuisines (Hong Kong style, Teochew, Shanghai), making it more like SE Asian cities such as Hong Kong and Singapore in terms of variety, which is unique in North America.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...8bd6ce&k=44011

I could go on, but it is getting tedious.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 6th 2009 at 6:58 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:00 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Oink;7819037]Chinese food is pretty good here but not anymore outstanding than other N. American cities with a large Chinese population. Its not like you are going to get exotic food such as goat lung with red peppers or panda brain soup.

Actually there is a huge range of authentic dim sum here. Not my cup of tea, but it's there.

Anyone tried wild rice? Only chinese I ever went to where there were no Chinese staff? Pretty good - Crosstown area of vancouver on Pender.

http://www.wildricevancouver.com/
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Um, okay. Earls, the Cactus Club, Milestones etc....those are the middle of the road restaurants for the bridge & tunnel traffic. Good food, not trying to knock anyone's socks off, all they'd scare away their customers from the 'burbs.

There are great places to eat, yes, you have to know where they are. Lots of new ones in gastown/dtes. The most amazing chinese I've ever eaten was in Vancouver, at the wedding of a wealthy chinese family....some of the food was made at the table. It was fabulous.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:03 pm

Because a number of high level chefs came from Hong Kong, combined with the abundance of fresh seafood, Vancouver has acquired a reputation as the home of the best Chinese food in the world. Because of the variety of migrants to the City and because Hong Kong had originally been a diverse magnet for so many different kinds of Chinese, Vancouver has developed a diversity of Chinese food cuisines (Hong Kong style, Teochew, Shanghai), making it more like SE Asian cities such as Hong Kong and Singapore in terms of variety, which is unique in North America.

I read a similarly glowing review by a san fran food critic. For its size vancouver has a very impressive and affordable variety of dining options, and punches far above its weight class.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:16 pm

Yes you are right, the absolute number 1 reason people visit Vancouver is for the food. How could I have been so blind.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:48 pm

Only you alan could turn a 'where's a good place to eat' thread into a battle of wits
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a lot of people DO come to Vancouver as foodie tourists, often to try the Asian food. Most aren't flying over from Europe or the UK, but many tourists from California and New York make the flights over to see what the fuss is all about.

I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't been a casual lurker on the Chowhound Western Canada forum!

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/57

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.