Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Ianb2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I came to Canada after graduating with a music degree and have been living here happily for almost 3 years now. I think that shows you can successfully immigrate no matter what degree you have.

My advice would be definitely to get over here and start networking, handing out resumes and researching. Either on an IEC or on a 2 week vacation in the hopes of finding someone willing to do the LMO paperwork.

Really depends on the industry, I find the opposite to be true in mine. It seems like the UK is much more of a victim of qualification inflation than Canada is because everyone goes to University in the UK, where as here apprenticeships and other alternatives are more accepted.
Thanks

Can I ask what profession you entered into? Did you carry on in the music industry in Canada?

Would you recommend going over to Canada with an IEC and begin handing out resumes then? Or do you think it would be a safer bet would be to tell them I have an IEC but to do it from the UK with the IEC in my back pocket for *when* they ask me to come over?

I'm sure a lot of this stuff is very dependent or where/when/who etc but its always nice to get some information so I know what I could be dealing with.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Originally Posted by Ianb2010
Thanks

Can I ask what profession you entered into? Did you carry on in the music industry in Canada?
Web Development, then Software Development. Many employers in that industry are interested more in whether you can do actually the job rather than a piece of paper that says you can. From my previous web design work and proof I had the ability I was able to get my foot in the door (albeit with a very poor salary at first). I would like to get into the Music Industry but it's not easy to be successful and it doesn't lend itself well to getting work permits.

Would you recommend going over to Canada with an IEC and begin handing out resumes then? Or do you think it would be a safer bet would be to tell them I have an IEC but to do it from the UK with the IEC in my back pocket for *when* they ask me to come over?
Employers in Canada get lots and lots of emails from people in India, the Philippines, China who are looking to get jobs that will get them into the country. Most of these resumes get thrown in the trash because most employers want people who are ready to work, or at the very least, are serious enough to be in Canada already. It's a lot easier being in Canada, networking from the UK is going to be difficult. If you don't want to "spend" your IEC, you could come over briefly to visit so you are able at the very least to show up in person.

I'm sure a lot of this stuff is very dependent or where/when/who etc but its always nice to get some information so I know what I could be dealing with.
Well the common theme you'll find on here are that the people who are successful are the ones who stick their neck out, network like crazy, who make trips to Canada, and really put 100% into moving here. Sitting in front of your computer hoping that the internet will be enough to get you a job is much less likely to lead you to success.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice guys. As I mentioned before this is so I can get as much advice and information as I can. It isn't my only line of enquiry however. I am one of those people that needs to gather as much information as I can and this is one of my port of calls.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys stirring this one up again.

Basically the latest: I am planning a trip to Canada VERY soon. I am going to do as CanadaJimmy suggested, head out there and try and find someone willing to give me a chance. The question I pose to you guys now is that organising an IEC working holiday visa is not going to happen in time.

In order to get an IEC visa you have to apply from OUTSIDE of Canada. I have either been told by a member of staff at a Canadian college and/or I read it somewhere that it is possible to enter Canada (for up to 6 months, as a tourist) and then head south into the US and get an IEC from the high commission in the US. Obviously I do not know 100% about this, and the canada government website does not make this massively clear. So I am really wondering if this is possible? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2012, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get an IEC visa you have to apply from OUTSIDE of Canada. I have either been told by a member of staff at a Canadian college and/or I read it somewhere that it is possible to enter Canada (for up to 6 months, as a tourist) and then head south into the US and get an IEC from the high commission in the US. Obviously I do not know 100% about this, and the canada government website does not make this massively clear. So I am really wondering if this is possible? Does anyone have any ideas?
Firstly, it's fine to apply for your IEC from Canada, plenty of people on the forum have done so. You would need to be extra organised (i.e. you'll need to get a police check from the UK etc), and send it via post but it's possible and not against any rules. In fact, the FAQ on the website specifically tells you how to get an IEC if you are already in Canada on one.

Secondly, yes you can enter Canada as a visitor for up to six months, but realistically there is no chance of you getting an IEC after this, purely because they'll all have gone (and you certainly can't get one from the embassy in the US, unless you happen to be a US citizen!). There are a limited number available each year, and out of the 5350 for this year, there are only approx 2000 left now, so in 6 months time there is no way any of those will be left.

If I were you, I'd just apply for one asap, and then you've got it.

Good luck.
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Just something I want to add onto this thread in case it comes up in other peoples internet searches is that they should check the wiki sections if they're interested in the work side of Canada. It has proven a very interesting read!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada...erent%21%21%21
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...uctions-Canada

I'd recommend starting with those...
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:18 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend starting with those...
Id recommend http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Newcomers_to_the_forum in general as a "one stop" source of other invaluable wiki articles.

There is a read me sticky at the top of the forum that directs people there...
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:23 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as a CIMA qual accountant I am going through my transfer to CMA. As its been said earlier on this thread foreign designations do not hold much weight here.
The job I currently hold has a clause in the contract that I need to have transfered to CMA within 6 months. So far the transfer seems to be not too bad, I had to fill in a portal explaining experience in certain areas and level of responsibility.
The CIMA qual is advertised as global BUT the designation is largely unknown here. I cant comment on ACCA as my previous understanding of it here was incorrect.

I am posting this information to let you know that the UK accounting designations dont hold enough weight. People dont know what they even mean. To transfer it seems that you need to have the UK qual AND relevant experience.

If I were you I would see how possible it is to do the Canadian accounting qualification instead. Good luck