Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Ianb2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Hi, I just joined today, I'm Ian, I'm 24. Long message sorry:

I graduated in September 2011 with a 2:2 (honours) Bachelor in Civil and Coastal Engineering (probably jumbled all that lot up a bit...). Since second year I decided that Civil engineering was not for me, however in order to not create additional costs I decided to pursue the degree as I did enjoy the maths side of things. Anyway, long story short, I graduated. Since then I carried out some work experience in an accounting firm but they had filled their trainee quota and couldnt offer me anything permanent, however one of the partners has offered to give me a reference!...

I have always been keen to live and work in Canada having had some friends (who I have since lost contact with) move over there and told me wonderful things, however I always assumed the BEST way would be to rack up a few years working in the UK and then apply to move over there.

So after looking around the UK over and over, I am becoming really down about the lack of opportunities, I have had very little luck in securing a place with an accounting firm. I even started dropping cv's into companies last week offering myself for free in order to gather more experience.

Anyway, I have heard from numerous sources (radio, news articles, word of mouth) that people are moving over to Canada in swarms, even those who are un-qualified in particular job sectors, and are still securing work. I am just unsure where to begin with this though?

As I said I have a degree in Engineering, but no experience to back it up. I have a desire (or at least I did, but these set-backs are trying to extinguish that flame!) for Accounting, and have since been studying for the first exam with the ACCA (which I believe is not recognised completely in Canada), so I don't really know where to start....

Can anyone offer any suggestions? The bank of mum and dad have kindly offered to help me out if I was to go abroad, but they have said they'd rather pay for me to go do something progressive, rather than do something for a few months and come back thinking "wow that was a nice holiday". So even if I was to find a temporary paid internship or something, that would be a lot more helpful than the current gardening I am doing at the moment....
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Welcome to BE Ian,

Canada is the most insanely anal place about having the right qualifications, even for seemingly menial positions, so I not sure your impression of happy go lucky immigrants here is very accurate.

You are young and undecided, Id say CIC (used to be BUNAC) for a years taster if Cdn life would be ideal, fund it yourself as a working holiday. I think that in order to qualify for more permanent immigration generally you must be able to demonstrate experience in the field you qualify under, so new grads struggle to meet that. Check out the wiki articles for the basics of immigration.

If you are still serious about Canada after that maybe consider a post grad course at a Cdn university to set you on your way, hit up the bank for mum and dad for that one I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Recent UK graduate considering Canada? - Accounting or Engineering...

Hi Iain, thanks for the reply, sorry if my comment came across as "its easy everyone goes there". I think when I re-read it, it does come across as quite naive, honestly I'm not that naive...

I wasn't actually looking for initial permanent movement to Canada, I understand there are SO many hoops and rings to jump through, especially with their skilled worker visas etc.

To clear things up, I DO want to go into accounting, I have a greater desire to get into finance office work, with the eye to perhaps seeing where my career takes me or what doors become accessible for me to open in the years to come, however the fact the first few steps on the ladder are missing in the UK make it damn difficult to begin climbing!

I suppose IDEALLY, (and realistically) I would like:

Firstly, the ability to go to Canada on a working visa with the eye to securing some sort of accounting/office work, which I believe is not unheard of.

(Gets tricky/messy here) Secondly, I would like to extend my working visa for another 12 months (which I have researched as a possibility) which could give me 2 years under my belt of working with a particular place, would it be likely to be offered something more permanent by a company on that basis?

Sorry its hard to explain. But would a company view me as someone that can work in Canada for 24 months if I have a working visa, because I would WANT to extend the visa? or would they say "well until you do extend it, we can only see you as being here for 12 months" ?

I find this whole stuff so complicating but I am determined to sort it!

Last edited by Ianb2010; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You cant extend a working holiday IEC visa, but you can maybe leverage it into a job offer and use that to get in either on a regular work permit or other program.

In accounting though it would be tricky as Canada has accountants already. Maybe not impossible. Long term though you would need canadian accounting qualifications.

Hence my plan would be come see if Canada is at all what you expect on an IEC working holiday visa, then if it is come back as a student and get the canadian qualifications and connections that will help your career down the line.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ianb2010
... and have since been studying for the first exam with the ACCA (which I believe is not recognised completely in Canada), so I don't really know where to start....
Give this some priority. ACCA does have some recognition in Canada but it is hard/almost impossible to get work using a foreign designation unless you have some special skills. More important is that under the current mutual recognition agreement ACCA members in good standing can easily acquire the Canadian equivalent CGA designation by passing a simple two day course.

The accounting profession in Canada was built on the UK model with Chartered, Certified, and Management accountants having separate regulatory organizations at provincial and federal levels. All three are currently negotiating an amalgamation. One of the conditions of the negotiation is that all existing mutual recognition agreements will be honored. The current ACCA/CGA agreement has, I believe, four years to go. What will happen after that is anyone's guess.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Iain you are not technically right.

You can come over on a one year IEC visa (basically an open work permit for you to do with what you please) and then after the first year you can apply for a second year.

So theoretically it is possible to do 2 years on IEC - others here have done it.

It might not be too difficult to get an entry level position at an accounting firm - wow tem with your charming wit and repartee, study for the accounting exams and try and stay on that way. (Canadian experiance class???? though I admit the timescales might be a bit tricky).
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I stand corrected....
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Give this some priority. ACCA does have some recognition in Canada but it is hard/almost impossible to get work using a foreign designation unless you have some special skills. More important is that under the current mutual recognition agreement ACCA members in good standing can easily acquire the Canadian equivalent CGA designation by passing a simple two day course.

The accounting profession in Canada was built on the UK model with Chartered, Certified, and Management accountants having separate regulatory organizations at provincial and federal levels. All three are currently negotiating an amalgamation. One of the conditions of the negotiation is that all existing mutual recognition agreements will be honored. The current ACCA/CGA agreement has, I believe, four years to go. What will happen after that is anyone's guess.
Hi Jon boy. I was under the impression there was some sort of agreement, so thank you for clarifying that. I have often thought about completing my studies and then attempting to move over (even temporarily). However if I were to work in the UK for say a year or so and gain experience whilst studying, I could have (in theory) 8 exams under my belt (out of I believe 14) I know that is a BIG push. But would that hold me in greater view in Canada? ie. someone who isn't fully qualified but has a years worth of understanding and exams under his belt, with the view to completing acca studies and then taking the two day course (or whatever exactly is needed to be undertaken). Or would I not really be recognised because the qualification was not 100% completed?

Realistically I will be looking to carry out some more work in the UK, even if it is unpaid to gain some more experience and in the near future apply for a working visa and attempt to secure some work in Canada with a view to extending it, AND THEN, a view to securing something permanent if the (a) company will offer me anything....

Also if I were to get a working holiday visa say tomorrow (..yeh I know, hear me out!) would this have an expiry date 365 days on? Or would it only start when I enter the country? or does it have a couple year expiry on it?

Thanks to everyone else for their information, mandy, iain, all of it is really useful, lol, I do have a sharp suit, my wit is pretty tight, as for my repartee, I am practicing in the mirror each day lol.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Give this some priority. ACCA does have some recognition in Canada but it is hard/almost impossible to get work using a foreign designation unless you have some special skills.
That's if you are applying for positions requiring a designation.

There are tons of jobs available for those who have Canadian experience and are enrolled in the CGA/CMA program.

CGA grants advance standing to many foreign accounting designations.

Have your foreign accounting designation assessed by CGA and state which level of the CGA program you are on your resume.

For example;
replace CPA from the Philippines with CGA level 4.

If you can't find entry-level accounting work work while being a CGA level 4 student............ it's mainly because of:

a) You
b) the economy
c) both
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blendin
That's if you are applying for positions requiring a designation.
True.

There are tons of jobs available for those who have Canadian experience and are enrolled in the CGA/CMA program.
True too. But more difficult if you are part way through the ACCA program.

CGA grants advance standing to many foreign accounting designations.
My experience was that they only do so for courses that are not jurisdiction specific. E.g. not law, tax, even accounting. Economics and Stats OK.

Have your foreign accounting designation assessed by CGA and state which level of the CGA program you are on your resume.

For example;
replace CPA from the Philippines with CGA level 4.

If you can't find entry-level accounting work work while being a CGA level 4 student............ it's mainly because of:

a) You
b) the economy
c) both
True too as well.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Also if I were to get a working holiday visa say tomorrow (..yeh I know, hear me out!) would this have an expiry date 365 days on? Or would it only start when I enter the country? or does it have a couple year expiry on it?
Ive no idea, but presumably this is covered by either the wiki or one of the many long threads on the IEC visa.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

... I could have (in theory) 8 exams under my belt (out of I believe 14) I know that is a BIG push. But would that hold me in greater view in Canada? ie. someone who isn't fully qualified but has a years worth of understanding and exams under his belt, with the view to completing acca studies and then taking the two day course (or whatever exactly is needed to be undertaken). Or would I not really be recognised because the qualification was not 100% completed?

Well, it is not going to do you any harm but in my experience dealing with small businesses you would be behind someone with the equivalent Canadian experience and exams. This is not just prejudice. For example, if you are going to be the accountant/bookkeeper/finance person in a small company you will be expected to have a working knowledge of Canadian payroll and sales taxes.

AFAIK (but you need to verify) you get time after the visa is issued (up to a year?) to use it and then one year from the day you activate it. You cannot extend it but can apply for another one year visa.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Know anything about mining? The mining industry over here is doing quite well, and I'm not even talking about the oil sands... You could perhaps get a mining sector job with engineering or accounting qualifications.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Just to clarify to everyone (in case they didn't know). My Engineering qualification is the result of studying at university, it does not make me a qualified engineer IN the UK, I would have to work within a company to fulfil the required time etc, then be accepted as a member etc. So in that sense I would imagine the process in Canada with their universities and engineering would be similar/the same...

This is in somewhat similar to the accountancy work. With the ACCA I could have ALL the exams under my belt, but would not be a qualified accountant, I would need to fill the time quota. The ACA is different however, as you need to be in employment.

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
Know anything about mining? The mining industry over here is doing quite well, and I'm not even talking about the oil sands... You could perhaps get a mining sector job with engineering or accounting qualifications.
I know a bit about structures lol. Geotechnics (soil) was not a favourite subject of mine, however if it has to be to live and work in Canada then I am more than happy to pursue that line of enquiry. Thank you.

I think as it has been suggested many times, is to try and sort myself out with a visa to work in Canada for 1 year, (after finding out the expiry times on it, how long i have before it starts to tick away etc) then apply for jobs whilst I am in the UK or at least contact companies regarding any part time placement work etc with the view to heading out there to work for them.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Canada after graduating with a music degree and have been living here happily for almost 3 years now. I think that shows you can successfully immigrate no matter what degree you have.

My advice would be definitely to get over here and start networking, handing out resumes and researching. Either on an IEC or on a 2 week vacation in the hopes of finding someone willing to do the LMO paperwork.

Canada is the most insanely anal place about having the right qualifications, even for seemingly menial positions,
Really depends on the industry, I find the opposite to be true in mine. It seems like the UK is much more of a victim of qualification inflation than Canada is because everyone goes to University in the UK, where as here apprenticeships and other alternatives are more accepted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.