Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

A brief summary of my situation:

- I'm a 24 y/o, London-based UK citizen, working as a Software Support Analyst. Earning £27k. Been in this job for almost 4 years, since I graduated from uni where I studied Computer Engineering.
- I just landed a new job as a consultant (great timing..), starting in a few weeks, earning £35k. London-based but travelling around Europe 95% of the time.
- I've always wanted to move to the US (dream), and I tried last year with my current company, but my USCIS H1B application was denied because my company wasn't going to pay me enough in the US. I also tried for the DV lottery but wasn't successful.
- Canada isn't my dream country but I think I would love it there a lot more than the UK. I have been in the IEC pool for the last 6 months. Earlier this evening I received an ITA (Invitation to Apply), to my surprise. I've been waiting for 6 months, and earlier this afternoon I saw there were 50 spaces left as of Friday, and there was still 2500-3000 people in the pool including me. 3 hours after giving up hope, I get the ITA. I can pay about £200 and get the application processed, then I'll have 1 year to enter Canada (as a backup option in case I end up hating my new job for some reason?).

Here is my question/concern:

How hard is it to find a permanent job on an IEC open work permit? I can't remember if the IEC was region specific since I applied half a year ago. Either way I'm looking at either Vancouver BC or Toronto. I plan to work in my field (Computer Software), potentially as a consultant? I feel a 2-year work permit may limit me in this department, so it's giving me doubts on whether or not I should go for this altogether. I don't want to decline the ITA because I'll essentially be closing a door to a room I might want to enter in a year's time, so it makes sense to go for it and get that Port of Entry letter.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

Why don't you concentrate on applying for the IEC WP, and once It's approved take it from there?

Can temporary residence under IEC lead onto Permanent Residence? Yes it's entirely possible if you make the right choices.

That starts with ensuring that you submit a good work permit application which hopefully gets approved. One step at a time.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

ph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond reputeph2020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Why don't you concentrate on applying for the IEC WP, and once It's approved take it from there?

Can temporary residence under IEC lead onto Permanent Residence? Yes it's entirely possible if you make the right choices.

That starts with ensuring that you submit a good work permit application which hopefully gets approved. One step at a time.
For the IEC Young Professionals route, I need a job offer and will need to work for the company that gives me that job offer.

"IEC Young Professionals candidates will need to have a valid job offer in Canada prior to their arrival, and participants will need to work for the same employer, in the same location, during their stay in Canada."

That's not an option for me. Based on what you've said though the standard IEC route isn't a good option?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say anything about Young Professionals. That stream isn't available for UK Citizens and I didn't refer to it anywhere in my answer.

If you get an IEC Work Permit and then get a skilled job when you get to Canada that may eventually lead on to being able to apply for Permanent Residence.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I didn't say anything about Young Professionals. That stream isn't available for UK Citizens and I didn't refer to it anywhere in my answer.

If you get an IEC Work Permit and then get a skilled job when you get to Canada that may eventually lead on to being able to apply for Permanent Residence.
Ah, my mistake, I thought by WP you meant 'Working Professionals' i.e. young professionals. I was under the impression you were suggesting a different route.

I can apply for permanent residence right now through Express Entry because I would have enough points with my language skills, work experience, age and education, but that's not what I want. I want to work/live there temporarily first before deciding if I want to stay permanently, so I thought IEC would be a better route. IEC permits are processed within 8 weeks and I see no reason why mine would be denied - it's not linked to any company or job, so my question is whether or not I'll be able to 'continue my career' there, or if the IEC is more for temporary, seasonal/tourism type jobs.

Last edited by ph2020; Jun 19th 2018 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like IEC is ideal for you.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 4:09 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

You want some honest advice? Do it. You are 24, single (im presuming) and no responsibilities (im presuming)? You only have one life and you have nothing to lose by doing this and everything to gain. Life is but a series of experiences and getting the hell out of London (hell hole) and the chance to see the greater world is an opportunity nobody should pass up. You've done the hard part, getting the Visa, dont lose this opportunity.
I back this up with two scenarios.
One: Me. I did very similar at the age of 24, got my IEC visa, jacked in my job, sold my car, moved out of my parents home to go halfway around the world to BC. Snowboarded for a few months, had an awesome time, met a girl, got a job, ended up married to said girl. We returned to the UK after a couple of yrs when my visa ran out, have a couple of children and 12yrs on we have just relocated back to BC permanently (cos its the best and most beautiful place in the world in my opinion). My life would be very different had I not taken that chance at the age of 24.
Two: My step daughter and her boyfriend; she is Canadian born but he is English. They came over to Canada for an extended holiday, he applied for and got his IEC, didnt activate it, has now lost the opportunity and is kicking himself SO hard as he has now lost the opportunity and is stuck in the UK dreaming of being in BC. Infact they are coming here in a couple of weeks on holiday and he is sickly jealous of the lifestyle we have here now. Both true stories, which one are you?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:04 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
You want some honest advice? Do it. You are 24, single (im presuming) and no responsibilities (im presuming)? You only have one life and you have nothing to lose by doing this and everything to gain. Life is but a series of experiences and getting the hell out of London (hell hole) and the chance to see the greater world is an opportunity nobody should pass up. You've done the hard part, getting the Visa, dont lose this opportunity.
One: Me. I did very similar at the age of 24, got my IEC visa, jacked in my job, sold my car, moved out of my parents home to go halfway around the world to BC. Snowboarded for a few months, had an awesome time, met a girl, got a job, ended up married to said girl. We returned to the UK after a couple of yrs when my visa ran out, have a couple of children and 12yrs on we have just relocated back to BC permanently (cos its the best and most beautiful place in the world in my opinion). My life would be very different had I not taken that chance at the age of 24.
Two: My step daughter and her boyfriend; she is Canadian born but he is English. They came over to Canada for an extended holiday, he applied for and got his IEC, didnt activate it, has now lost the opportunity and is kicking himself SO hard as he has now lost the opportunity and is stuck in the UK dreaming of being in BC. Infact they are coming here in a couple of weeks on holiday and he is sickly jealous of the lifestyle we have here now. Both true stories, which one are you?
Lovely post
Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

I know it's such a great opportunity and if it wasn't for my new job which I'm really looking forward to, I would go for it now, but I'm hesitating because of job prospects once I'm over there. I'm going to be on a 2-year visa. I'm not sure how many software companies hire people on temporary visas, but I don't think it's a lot. I don't want to go over there only to work in another industry like retail, hospitality, seasonal work. I would want to go to advance in my career, and I'm not sure if this is the right visa for that.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something here? On the one hand you say you don't want to rush things because of the opportunity offered by this new job in the UK. On the other hand you say IEC is attractive becaue it will only take about 8 weeks to process. If you're not in a hurry and want to try out your new UK opportunity, surely the PR route, which you say you're eligible for, is the obvious way to go.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 8:50 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ph2020
I don't want to go over there only to work in another industry like retail, hospitality, seasonal work. I would want to go to advance in my career, and I'm not sure if this is the right visa for that.
Regardless of which immigration status you hold, nobody can promise you that.

I'm telling you now, London will offer better career potential than Canada simply because it is a bigger city than any city in Canada in terms of population, is an international hub and attracts more foreign interest and investment. London is one of the few megacities in Europe whereas all megacities in NA are either in the US or Mexico.

The caveat of course is that you usually have to live in or around London to work there and put up with the crap quality of life (IMHO), high rents etc.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 1:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it. You'll have a year from the issuance of the LOI to activate the work permit - thus giving you time to determine whether you like the new job or not... if you choose not to activate it because you love the new job, all you will have lost is $150. Most employers likely won't even ask how long your work permit is valid for - they only want to know if you have the legal right to work in Canada.. which you would have.

Look on it as an adventure and gaining experience, which can only enhance your career! Extra points too, should you decide you like it enough to want to apply for Permanent Residence after a year!

Here's a few jobs to look at:
https://ca.indeed.com/Software-Support-Analyst-jobs
https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Softwar...+Consultant&l=

Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Vicky1003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Received an IEC ITA - need some advice, please!

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
Thank you for this post