Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

"Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Flute_Manhawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

Not sure if exactly the correct place to post, but here goes...
Just received email from Barclays, stating that 'Your Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us by 6 August 2018", and then goes on to say that 'we realise you've had a Barclaycard for some time at your current (non-UK) address. As it's part of our terms and conditions that customers must have a current UK residential address, we're sorry to tell you that your account ill have to close..."
basically, in order to keep the card going, they require proof of UK residency.

assuming this is legit, any thoughts on why now, having used the card recently on Amazon.co.uk, m&s etc. and other uk sites ok, and if so, any way around it?
or even alternative UK cards too

thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

My Wife has just been through this, it is legit (unfortunately).
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 4:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No friends or relatives in the UK you can use the address of? That's what some do.
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

I went through something similar with HSBC UK, but I didn't have to close the account. They threatened to freeze the account until I sent them proof of my Canadian address, proof of my identity and deal with many people over the phone. I had to get my documents certified by my Canadian bank. I haven't heard anything from them lately, so I assume all is fine. I dread having to call them again to find out. This whole process has been very very annoying.
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I had all this with Barclaycard. I managed to hang on to mine but I had to really plead. It was tough and I had to give them a UK address in the end.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=
assuming this is legit, any thoughts on why now, having used the card recently on Amazon.co.uk, m&s etc. and other uk sites ok, and if so, any way around it?
or even alternative UK cards too
![/QUOTE]

I had to close one Bank Account but have held onto my Halifax account with Canadian Address (No UK Address) - However, I doubt you can transfer and open a new account without a UK address
Old Jun 24th 2018, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd struggle to open a new UK bank account without a UK address. I managed to hold on to my existing one. I don't have a Barclays account though, only a Barclaycard.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Barclaycard did the same to us.
I was fortunate in that I still had a property in the UK (just sold it recently) and was able to give that address to continue.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:53 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

They've been moving in this direction for years. I worked for Barclaycard years ago when I was in college and back then even though they allowed clients with foreign addresses, most additional services were secretly closed off to them. As soon as you registered a foreign address on the system, the account was flagged and considered to basically be a liability.

Most people didn't realise until they needed one of those additional services though.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to "global" Britain!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 10:22 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Welcome to "global" Britain!
It's actually partly the EU's fault. Much of it comes from EU money laundering regulations.

A couple of years ago, PayPal demanded to see a copy of my passport due to compliance with EU financial regulations. They were told politely to F.O.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
It's actually partly the EU's fault. Much of it comes from EU money laundering regulations.

A couple of years ago, PayPal demanded to see a copy of my passport due to compliance with EU financial regulations. They were told politely to F.O.
Tosh! Haven't they heard of Brexit

Actually the real reason is that due to brexit they will find it harder to collect debts.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 12:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Tosh! Haven't they heard of Brexit

Actually the real reason is that due to brexit they will find it harder to collect debts.
You actually have a solid point there when it comes to EU residents. Not sure what difference that would make regarding Brits in Asia and the Americas though.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You actually have a solid point there when it comes to EU residents. Not sure what difference that would make regarding Brits in Asia and the Americas though.
Well, the Brits aren't very good at geography & probably don't know the difference!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 12:37 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well, the Brits aren't very good at geography & probably don't know the difference!
I think they do. When one of my old friends took a gap year working holiday in Australia but ended up immigrating there, the SLC were very quick to track her down and demand their pound of flesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.