Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating?

Reasons for emigrating?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating?

Originally Posted by el_richo
See post #178

I'm basing my assumption on the official house price statistics in Canada and the UK, and my distant memory of the average wage.

The suggestion was that you're more likely to need two incomes in the UK whereas Canada are more likely to only need the one. The stats disagree.
You can quote facts if you like, but you'll never get Bristol to agree when he's in Moncton mode.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Seriously, though, if minimum wage in the UK and Canada is more or less the same and there are detached houses available in Canada for £48k-£57k while the eqivalent (actually, less than equivalent coz they're attached) in the UK appears to cost £70k or more then at lower income levels the double income appears more likely to be needed in the UK. A single income at minimum wage rates is more likely to buy a Canadian house than UK minimum wage is to buy a UK house.
The 1000+ 2 or more bed houses for sale in Yorkshire and surrounding areas going for £50k and under (according to rightmove) would have them pretty much even stevens based on your assumption of affordability then. Here

~8x salary for the avge Canadian and ~6.5x salary for the avge Brit is certainly interesting to see.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:39 pm
xye
Just Joined

xye is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
and

are kind of a contradiction. You know that watching TV over the internet on your PC still counts as watching TV?

Sounds like Moncton is for you. Certainly not BC where most people are going to be working until they drop off this mortal coil.

Edit: I used to live in the yorkshire dales. I don't find it cheaper to live where I do now - it's about the same overall.
#

Well, I bought the DVD series, so I did not watch TV over the internet I've got the Only Fools and Horses DVD set and the Bear Grylls sets. Apart from that, I've got a huge library of books and I'm contented walking in the Dales. The cost of living here is my biggest gripe.

Where in the Dales did you live?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:47 pm
xye
Just Joined

xye is an unknown quantity at this point

The 1000+ 2 or more bed houses for sale in Yorkshire and surrounding areas going for £50k and under (according to rightmove) would have them pretty much even stevens based on your assumption of affordability then. Here

~8x salary for the avge Canadian and ~6.5x salary for the avge Brit is certainly interesting to see.
Yorkshire houses for £50K? Those must be in the slums. To get anywhere decent in Menston for example, a 2 bed terraced house is £170-200K. Try looking at house prices in Harrogate, Scarcroft, Shadwell, Ilkley, Huby, Weeton and so forth. For a decent 3bed house in a middle class area, you are looking at £230K minimum. If you find one cheaper, then it's likely to be on the doorstep of a bad neighbourhood or they are desperate to sell.

For a house in the Yorkshire Dales, one is looking at £500K at a minimum (depending on the preferred location). I did see a house in Pateley Bridge for £230K, but it was very small and the village offers no employment for someone like myself.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You can quote facts if you like, but you'll never get Bristol to agree when he's in Moncton mode.

Hence why I extended my search away from Moncton to include Winnipeg and a few places in Ontario as well as other cities of NB And my examples are factual too. Also 'real' as opposed to a misleading average.

The 1000+ 2 or more bed houses for sale in Yorkshire and surrounding areas going for £50k and under (according to rightmove) would have them pretty much even stevens based on your assumption of affordability then.
I looked at a few of those places. They do seem to be in small towns and villages as opposed to the population centres of 100,000 and the attendant amenities/advantage that I mentioned.

Considering that my Canadian examples were detached and these UK ones appear to be terraced, neither the locations nor style seem to be similar, so not really like for like.
Dropping the requirements of bigger population centres and/or detached house in Canada finds properties for $25k-$30k, Many of them looking very nice.

I will concede, however, that there do seem to be UK properties at much less than I thought; although perhaps more localised than Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hence why I extended my search away from Moncton to include Winnipeg and a few places in Ontario as well as other cities of NB And my examples are factual too. Also 'real' as opposed to a misleading average.
The average isn't misleading. It's the average. Proving that there are things that are not average doesn't mean much as this is something which should be self evident to everyone.

I could say that the average roll on a dice is 3.5, and you'll roll a one and tell me I'm wrong. This is what I mean by "Moncton Mode".
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The average isn't misleading. It's the average. Proving that there are things that are not average doesn't mean much as this is something which should be self evident to everyone.

I could say that the average roll on a dice is 3.5, and you'll roll a one and tell me I'm wrong. This is what I mean by "Moncton Mode".
Except didnt we agree that the "Average" in canada is probably heavily skewed by Vancouver and Toronto housing, as the UK average is skewed by London and the SE?

So for vast swathes of Canada the "Average" may not be terribly representative?
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:07 am
Just Joined

mrskadz is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't wait to get out of the UK for many reasons but mainly because everything is way too expensive, can't afford to live here anymore. That and the crap weather!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Except didnt we agree that the "Average" in canada is probably heavily skewed by Vancouver and Toronto housing, as the UK average is skewed by London and the SE?

So for vast swathes of Canada the "Average" may not be terribly representative?
Probably - but finding a couple of counter examples doesn't say anything. And when comparing countries you have to look at averages. You can't say it's misleading - it's only misleading if you know where in the UK you are coming from and where in Canada you are going to.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:32 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrskadz
I can't wait to get out of the UK for many reasons but mainly because everything is way too expensive, can't afford to live here anymore. That and the crap weather!
Take out the UK and replace with Canada, and that sounds just like one of my collegues who's is planning on retiring to Florida
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

at the inevitable thread drift in the obvious direction.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Probably - but finding a couple of counter examples doesn't say anything. And when comparing countries you have to look at averages. You can't say it's misleading - it's only misleading if you know where in the UK you are coming from and where in Canada you are going to.
Presumably anyone leaving the UK knows where they are coming from and is about to decide where they are going to? I dont get why you are hung up on the average.

There is another thread just started saying you cant find anywhere to live in TO for $400k. The average house price in Canada is about $200 or 250k if memory serves. So much for averages.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:41 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably anyone leaving the UK knows where they are coming from and is about to decide where they are going to? I dont get why you are hung up on the average.

There is another thread just started saying you cant find anywhere to live in TO for $400k. The average house price in Canada is about $200 or 250k if memory serves. So much for averages.
If the figures in the chart in this post from another thread are averages and I see no reason to think otherwise, then the national average is considerably more than what you state.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:44 am

I'm not. I was just pointing out the logical error in bristols critique of el_richo's post above. I don't actually care one way or the other whether or not two incomes are required to buy a house in some godforsaken frozen tundra on the other side of Canada.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
See this is where im an expert..i have worked in construction all my life and am now a Project Director for one of the biggest construction companies in Canada..i have worked on projects across the Uk, Europe and Canada..and like most things including quality, skilled and professional trades the Canadians i hate to say are miles behind.
In residential? I worked in the construction industry in the UK for many years and I don't see that enormous of a difference. Although when my house here was being built I think dragging the site agent out of his office and quoting building regs might have made an impact. Also I had a rather bemusing day showing him how to wire a house. I know a lot of my neighbours have had complaints that I haven't.

Building regs here aren't as tight as in the UK and the building inspections are laughable, however that doesn't necessarily mean if you get someone competent to do the work it's going to be worse, which is why I said there is a greater variation in new build quality here.

Lost count of the number of British people working in construction here (e.g. you) so I think it's bit of a tough sell to say they are markedly worse here!

The one thing that is shockingly worse though is health & safety, I've seen things done routinely here that would get a site closed down in the UK. Massive pits with no fencing, building materials all over the sidewalk and even in the street, not properly covered, unattended machinery not properly locked down, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.