Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating?

Reasons for emigrating?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Blimey, when were you last in the UK?! All underfloor heating these days, even our 300 year old house is about to have it installed throughout.
But is it forced air?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Radiators do a better and cheaper job of heating and are also quieter.
Not in -20s they don't.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But is it forced air?
No, electric - I was just pointing out that radiators are not commonly used in the UK these days, particularly on new builds which all seem to have underfloor heating.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Depends on what your price bracket is, but I'm talking about a proper forced air system with vents etc. that you see on old houses that had a furnace in the basement running on oil or natural gas. Not heated water packs or electric units.

Haven't calculated it but I doubt electric units would be cost-effective here given the number of hours you'd have to run them.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt ever have radiators again to be honest, ugly, take up too much of the room. They are a non starter in the canadian winter, the risk of burst pipes if the furnace was off / broken for a few days is a bit too high.

The new more efficient ACs are barely audible to be honest. Didnt know it was a big deal out West, but then I dont think you guys get quite the same hit of humidity we poor bastards in the middle get.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 13th 2011 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Wouldnt ever have radiators again to be honest, ugly, take up too much of the room. They are a non starter in the canadian winter, the risk of burst pipes if the furnace was off / broken for a few days is a bit too high.

The new more efficient ACs are barely audible to be honest. Didnt know it was a big deal out West, but then I dont think you guys get quite the same hit of humidity we poor bastards in the middle get.

Where are you going to dry your smalls when its raining outside?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well it doesn't get as warm here, that is the main reason. Southern Ontario is the warmest part of Canada during the summer I think. You couldn't manage without AC in parts of Ontario during the summer.

I can manage without it, but I would like to have it. My house is built to the same exact same plan as the builder used for their houses in BC (and elsewhere I suspect), so it is completely set up for AC, but both the by-laws and the HOA regs make it impossible.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't calculated it but I doubt electric units would be cost-effective here given the number of hours you'd have to run them.
Underfloor heating doesn't have to be run by electricity, it's just that we're not on mains gas so no other option really. Most are run on gas or alternative energy (i.e. ground source heat pump - which is what we're having - next to no running costs, plus we get paid several £k a year for the renewable heat incentive ).
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think the choice between radiator and forced air is driven more by building style than anything else.
The UK had, and to some degree still does prefer solid ashblock or brick internal walls, North America has timber frame, one lends itself to pipes and the other to ducts
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Where are you going to dry your smalls when its raining outside?
In the dryer...

Actualy the forced air ducts a fab for drying gloves etc in the winter
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I can manage without it, but I would like to have it. My house is built to the same exact same plan as the builder used for their houses in BC (and elsewhere I suspect), so it is completely set up for AC, but both the by-laws and the HOA regs make it impossible.
Hide the heat exchanger in the attic Just need some grow op fans to get the airflow past it, but that shouldnt be a problem out there
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously haven't looked at some of the shit I helped put up in the UK.

I don't agree on this one, houses in the UK appear to be more substantial because they use more brick, but in most of Canada you can't use brick because it is a poor insulator.

I think in new build stuff it's fair to say there is more variation in quality in Canada. You can more easily buy shit here than in the UK but on average the quality is about the same.

I tell you one thing for sure, there's no way I'd get a gang of labourers working in -25 in the UK. Also the use of forced air in houses here for the heating, can't think of any housing I've been involved with in the UK that used forced air that post-dated 1970, it's all radiators nowadays. The lack of radiators in Canadian houses gives you more space in the room and you don't have to worry about leaky pipes.
See this is where im an expert..i have worked in construction all my life and am now a Project Director for one of the biggest construction companies in Canada..i have worked on projects across the Uk, Europe and Canada..and like most things including quality, skilled and professional trades the Canadians i hate to say are miles behind.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Hide the heat exchanger in the attic Just need some grow op fans to get the airflow past it, but that shouldnt be a problem out there
Trust me I've tried everything and there's always some snag. I even suggested at the AGM of the HOA that the regs be changed but no.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not in -20s they don't.
They are a non starter in the canadian winter
Yeah, sorry, I forgot that the rest of the canada is a frozen barely habitable wasteland for 6 months of the year.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... I suspect that a far larger proportion of the houses for sale in the UK require two incomes compared to the number in Canada. Its only gut feel, but I suspect most of small town canada is affordable with one decent income, and thats not necessarily the case in small town britain.
I'd certainly agree on that. People just have to shelve their assumptions that small town Canada is the back of beyond and you need to travel far for ordinary, everyday stuff.

Originally Posted by el_richo
I disagree....I would imagine it's pretty much the same if you look at realtor.ca and rightmove.co.uk for prices and base 3x borrowing on avge salary.
It probably is if you compare Vancouver/Toronto with London.

It's probably equally unrepresentative (of Canada) to look at house prices in this area and compare them with the UK. But the fact is the cheaper homes do exist and are in plentiful supply.

Let's try and not get back into the Moncton thing again, okay? It's not Vancouver or Toronto. But neither is Bristol. What I sold my 2 bed terraced house in Bristol for in 2005 would have bought my 4 bed detached house here three times. Even with the worsening exchange rate, what my old house sold for a few months ago would do it now twice. With change.

And we were so impressed with this house we paid $120k whereas what we were looking for was around $100k (wanting to keep some money back to buy a duplex as well). There were loads of detached 3 bedroom houses that would have sufficed for our family of four here, Saint John, Fredericton and other places. The only thing these places are missing (jobs wise, entertainment, amenities etc) is a professional football team. Everything else that Bristol has for its residents is also in this part of the world.

Around the corner from me are a couple of 2 bedroom detached houses - currently on Realtor.ca for $89k and a little further away, needing some TLC but otherwise fine to live in is another for $75k or $79k.

Mine in Bristol recently sold for £190k...current exchange rate == $293k.

If $89k is £57k, could someone tell me where in the UK, with all the benefits of city living associated with a pop. in excess of 100,000, one might get even a 2 bed flat for such an amount?

I just randomly selected Rochdale, Wolverhampton and Exeter (north, midlands, south) and there are some small flats in ugly blocks for £60k and a couple of "park homes" for a bit more.

Then it's about £70k and up. None of them as nice as the ones around the corner.

I must admit the property prices were less than I imagined. But then out of interest, looking at Realtor.ca I find houses elsewhere in Canada that also looks cheaper. For example, town houses in London, Ont for $75k, similar in Hamilton and also Winnipeg for the same.

It's not scientific but it does lend weight to Iaink's gut feeling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.