Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To realtor or not to realtor?

To realtor or not to realtor?

Old May 16th 2011, 6:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To realtor or not to realtor?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As my reply to dbd33. There is a huge incentive to do something for your client that makes them want to recommend you. Isn't this how we are suggesting that newcomers go about selecting someone to work with?
Sure - it is what it is right now. I don't happen to think that magnumpi did the wrong thing using a realtor that his missus had known for 2 1/2 years - I'm actually surprised he got grief for it after he explained that.

Although, to a certain extent, the internet makes buyers agents unnecessary as everybody looks on mls. I would be surprised if anyone expects their realtor to suggest places rather than telling the realtor the places they'd like to look at (this is what we did at any rate). Because of this I think that buyers agent's days are numbered. At least with the traditional pricing model as it's all to transparent that the services provided don't match the money transferred (even if most of it goes to the brokerage and not the realtor themselves).

Also, if I was the government monopolies commission, I'd force the realtors association to make mls a independent entity rather than an extension of realtor stranglehold on the market. I'd like to see it operate similarly to how right-move does in the UK (I know they've taken some steps - but it doesn't go far enough imo as the realtors association still own it and have no real incentive to develop it).
Old May 16th 2011, 6:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Also, if I was the government monopolies commission, I'd force the realtors association to make mls a independent entity rather than an extension of realtor stranglehold on the market. I'd like to see it operate similarly to how right-move does in the UK (I know they've taken some steps - but it doesn't go far enough imo as the realtors association still own it and have no real incentive to develop it).
Technically it's still very weak but the encouraging sign I see, and I scan it most days looking at properties local to us, is that more and more properties just have a basic entry on mls with a link to propertyguys.com. I think that, over time, the dubious descriptions and bizarre photographs seen on mls will be replaced by a link to something more informative.

At least I hope so, in the end that depends on whether or not the person writing the description has actually seen the house. If it's FSBO then the person will have, if it's an agent's description or rather the temp girl in the agent's office's description, then not so much.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree. But for someone new to the housing market right now i think they are better to engage a realtor to help them rather than going it alone.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with MLS is that in this heated market, in the GTA, the good properties listed are gone hours after, or even days before they reach the site.

This is where a Realtor has the edge on mr. Private guy sat at home humming and arring over a property.

As i said before we saw this first hand. After the offer was acepted on our new hse, the sellers Realtor put in on mls.

Imo some nicer properties are like bait to get you reeled in i supose.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
if it's an agent's description or rather the temp girl in the agent's office's description, then not so much.
Tell me about it. There's a house behind us for sale where the description implies that some of the land in our lot is actually in theirs. Cheeky buggers.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't disagree. But for someone new to the housing market right now i think they are better to engage a realtor to help them rather than going it alone.
It's what I would recommend too. We used a realtor for exactly those reasons.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi
This is where a Realtor has the edge on mr. Private guy sat at home humming and arring over a property.
Nothing wrong with the realtor having an edge as expertise is what they offer and what they should be paid for. Lots wrong with no real choice about the services you wish to purchase from them and lots wrong with them basing some of their business model on keeping information out of the public domain.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The problem with MLS is that in this heated market, in the GTA, the good properties listed are gone hours after, or even days before they reach the site.
I suggest that this is a questionable practise. The best thing for the seller would be to be see the house on mls with an "offers on" date. That creates an auction with the maximum possible number of bidders. The beneficiaries of a sale where the property didn't go on the open market are the two agents and their brokerage, could it perchance be the same brokerage? Cor, stone the crows!
Old May 16th 2011, 7:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suggest that this is a questionable practise. The best thing for the seller would be to be see the house on mls with an "offers on" date. That creates an auction

with the maximum possible number of bidders. The beneficiaries of a sale where the property didn't go on the open market are the two agents and their brokerage, could it perchance be the same brokerage? Cor, stone the crows!
No it was not. I see your point though. That is the sellers, Realtor screwing up.

Last edited by magnumpi; May 16th 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:01 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
Hadn't thought of going to open houses to suss out the realtors.... Had some recommendations from friends, but now don't really know how to choose between them!
I found my realtor that way as well, although we are still not ready to buy. It's amazing how many realtors will ignore you or put very little effort into it. The ones who do put the effort for a sale that might not go anywhere are the good ones.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Al the Agent
As a Realtor, I obviously have a biased opinion on this subject. A few posters are correct in the fact that the buyer does indirectly pay the commission as it is built into the purchase price and it's the buyers money that pays it, but there typically isn't a fee paid directly from the buyer. Some agents will require a buyers agency agreement be signed that states the buyer must use that agent for any purchase for a certain amount of time. If the buyer finds a FSBO that isn't willing to pay the agent a commission, then the buyer is on the hook for it. Although I see why some agents do this, I don't. I feel that if I wasn't able to find them a home through my efforts, why should I be compensated.

A good agent should know the area they are selling in and bring value to their clients through their knowledge, negotiating abilities and the like.

One poster mentioned visiting open houses to get a sense of the agent, and I think that's a great approach. If you are not in the area you are looking to buy in, email a few agents with some general questions and see how they respond and how long it takes them to respond. Personal references from people you know and trust is also a good source IMO as most people don't want to suggest someone they don't feel comfortable with.

As with any profession, there are good and bad, and Real Estate is no different. There are many posters here that obviously have a negative opinion about Realtors, but not all of us are bad people, devious or solely looking out for their own pocket book. Personally, I would rather have a happy client who didn't buy a home as opposed to an upset one who felt they bought the wrong one through some underhandedness on my part.
I, too, am a realtor and as such am biased in my opinion. I agree with Al here in that there are some great agents and some not so great.

I will take a buyer out to look at houses with no Buyers Representation agreement until the time they find a house they want to offer for - at which time we sign the agreement so it is documented that I represent them but I only make the agreement run for a couple of days - just long enough to negotiate that particular offer. Be wary of anyone that tries to lock you in to an agreement the first time they take you out or meet you. The way I do it there is no chance of the buyer having to pay me the commission on top of the purchase price as we know what the seller is offering to pay at the time of the agreement and the agreement is only valid for that sale.

If I sell one of my listings directly to a buyer (with no representation of their own) then I reduce the commission for the Seller but generally that does not show up in the price the buyer pays so there is no advantage to the buyer.

A good realtor can definitely help you, particularly if you are new to Canada and maybe don't understand that once you sign that offer you are in the deal - no changing your mind in a week or two as you can in the UK.

A realtor's business grows from recommendations, 2.5% of an extra 10,000 is not worth an unhappy client - that is just not good business. Also I spend hours and hours with people looking for houses and I get to like them.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
A good realtor can definitely help you, particularly if you are new to Canada and maybe don't understand that once you sign that offer you are in the deal - no changing your mind in a week or two as you can in the UK.
They say this, but it actually is quite easy with the right subjects.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

They say this, but it actually is quite easy with the right subjects.
You can get out if you have conditions in the offer that are not met - most commonly home inspection and financing but they can be anything. Once that deal goes firm - it is not at all easy to get out and you can wave bye bye to at least your deposit.