Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To realtor or not to realtor?

To realtor or not to realtor?

Old May 16th 2011, 1:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To realtor or not to realtor?

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Your naievete appears to have no bounds.
Meaning what? If you have a point about not using some one whom you already know then state your point sir.

Last edited by magnumpi; May 16th 2011 at 1:08 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:04 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

We've worked with a couple of Canadian realtors - the first was excellent (a recommendation from BE). She didn't know the houses she was showing us, but took time to look at every aspect whilst we were viewing them. She didn't try to push us into buying and often pointed out negative aspects that we hadn't initially picked up on. Having heard a lot of negative things about realtors we were very pleasantly surprised.
The second realtor was nowhere near as good. She wasn't recommended and we got stuck with her because of our relocation. She just walked into the houses and wittered on about how wonderful they were, dismissing any of the issues we pointed out. The only houses she suggested we look at did not fit our criteria in any way, however they were much more expensive than our stated price range!!
So, some good, some bad - it's worth doing the open house thing and also asking for recommendations on BE!
Old May 16th 2011, 3:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
We are currently using a realtor for our first purchase in canada.

Couple of things:
we haven't signed any buyer's agreement ( and I wouldn't);

it has been useful viewing houses with him- he is pretty informative about
what is wrong with them, resale potential, how much things cost to fix etc etc. I would never spot the things he has spotted, sure a Home inspector would, but its nice to know things before you get to that emotionally invested point. He knows the area and the types of problems etc
we get tricklefed properties a few days before they come on MLS. This could be important for the house that turns out to to 'right';

for us of course its a free service and I suspect any seller's realtor wouldn't reimburse their client if there was no buyer's realtor so suspect it makes no difference to the price.

we put a lowball offer in and it was really useful to have him explain all the ins and outs of the contract and TBH the buying process is different and its good to have that explained, that said it has taken a few weeks to get to know each others thinking

Ours sent us all the properties that had sold in sub-division in last 15 months and sends the last 5 years for streets we are interested in. This is more than I could look up on council pages as it has photos , asking price, selling price. You can see the upgades etc

I don't begrude people earning a living. I charge a lot for my services and so understand he gets paid out of the deal.

His mortage broker was able to offer us prime -0.85 % which is at least 0.1% better than I would have found most places and 0.2% better than our bank

So I would go for a realtor. Why not? Do I trust him every inch of the way? Don't be silly, but that doesn't mean we don't get anything from it.
BE.com, a post about realtors and sanity. It doesn't happen very often.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
If we don't engage a buying realtor - is there any likelihood that the final negotiated price would be less, as there isn't an extra realtor to pay a commission to? Or is this setting yourself up to get well and truly scalped by the selling realtor?
No. All that happens is that the listing agent acts as your agent, has a huge conflict of interest (because they are paid to maximize the sale price) and pockets both commissions.

Maybe on a FSBO there is some room for negotiation, but the reason sellers go the FSBO route is that they expect to keep the commission - not give it away to the buyer.

The process is different in Canada. It makes sense to use a professional to guide you through it all.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:36 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1
Old May 16th 2011, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
No. All that happens is that the listing agent acts as your agent, has a huge conflict of interest (because they are paid to maximize the sale price) and pockets both commissions.
Whereas, if you have a buying agent, you have two agents who are paid to maximize the sale price.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by dbd33
Whereas, if you have a buying agent, you have two agents who are paid to maximize the sale price.
Novo has already refuted this and I completely agree with him.

In BC the realtor's commissions are heavily weighted to the first $100,000 of the sale price. Above this, pushing up the sale price by $10,000 will earn a realtor less than $100. Only the most self-interested and money grabbing agent is going to risk the rest of the commission on a sale for that.

Maybe in your business it is worth p*ss*ng off clients for a hundred bucks but a good realtor knows it certainly isn't in their best interests. A realtor is only ever going to make serious money if they have lots of happy customers recommending them to others.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

In BC the realtor's commissions are heavily weighted to the first $100,000 of the sale price. Above this, pushing up the sale price by $10,000 will earn a realtor less than $100. Only the most self-interested and money grabbing agent is going to risk the rest of the commission on a sale for that.

Maybe in your business it is worth p*ss*ng off clients for a hundred bucks but a good realtor knows it certainly isn't in their best interests. A realtor is only ever going to make serious money if they have lots of happy customers recommending them to others.
Little incentive to rip you off does not imply an incentive to get you the best deal possible. The incentive is to complete the deal - not to get the buyer the best property for the best price.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Commissions to agents here aren't layered, it's n% of the selling price. I accept that some agents aren't going to make a fuss over a few hundred bucks but counting on that is like counting on a cop not giving you a ticket for speeding. There's no incentive for either agent to try and drive a sale price down so they may as well settle for as high a price as they think will keep the buyer calm.

House and car sales differ from sales of services as there's no continuing business; whether or not you like the agent, you're not going to buy another house or car next week. It's not a business in which relationships or reputation are particularly important as the chances of the parties dealing with each other a second time are tiny. Something that's true even if you suppose that the mls commissioned sales arrangement is going to be around in years to come.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by dbd33
House and car sales differ from sales of services as there's no continuing business; whether or not you like the agent, you're not going to buy another house or car next week. It's not a business in which relationships or reputation are particularly important as the chances of the parties dealing with each other a second time are tiny. Something that's true even if you suppose that the mls commissioned sales arrangement is going to be around in years to come.
From your perspective it is probably a one-off deal. It isn't for a realtor. The value of a happy client is far more than the commission on a sale. It is the commissions they will earn from people the client recommends to them, and who they recommend and so on. An unhappy client might be worth $3-4k. A happy client potentially $Ms.

A realtor starting out might spend 10% of their time working with clients and 90% of their time and money marketing themselves. They will only become rich when they can spend 90% of their time with clients and let their former customers do their marketing for them for free.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:00 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Little incentive to rip you off does not imply an incentive to get you the best deal possible. The incentive is to complete the deal - not to get the buyer the best property for the best price.
As my reply to dbd33. There is a huge incentive to do something for your client that makes them want to recommend you. Isn't this how we are suggesting that newcomers go about selecting someone to work with?
Old May 16th 2011, 6:11 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It apears a few, dbd alan and scottie dog man, have had bad first hand dealings with Realtors and will not use, or even trust the information that they would bring to a sale anymore, while others, including myself, have had nothing but positive dealings with our Realtor.

50.50 then, if you are lucky you will get a good one.

Fortunatly my $$ is worth more than what i will trust to luck, hence why we used a guy who we knew well, was recommended by many, and, yes, a trusted friend.

Dont leave it to luck like what the 3 on here seem to have done. Use a Realtor who is well known and recomended by friends and maybe family.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Isn't this how we are suggesting that newcomers go about selecting someone to work with?
I thought Alan put that well. A newcomer isn't going to know if the agent bargained hard or not, the newcomer isn't going to be in the room when the haggling happens, so the newcomer would do well to be wary of the agent.

I think the expression "work with" is unfortunate here, it implies a collaboration between purchaser and salesperson. It's a phrase the salesperson might like but it doesn't reflect the relationship, one doesn't "work with" the counter person in an appliance shop. I'm suggesting that the newcomer not use an agent for financial matters but instead gets someone locally experienced to be on their side in dealing with the agents. If the newcomer wants to use an agent for other reasons, good luck to them.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It apears a few, dbd alan and scottie dog man, have had bad first hand dealings with Realtors and will not use, or even trust the information that they would bring to a sale anymore, while others, including myself, have had nothing but positive dealings with our Realtor.

50.50 then, if you are lucky you will get a good one.

Fortunatly my $$ is worth more than what i will trust to luck, hence why we used a guy who we knew well, was recommended by many, and, yes, a trusted friend.

Dont leave it to luck like what the 3 on here seem to have done. Use a Realtor who is well known and recomended by friends and maybe family.
To the contrary, we've recently used an agent I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Indeed, I recommended him to my daughter and he sold her house in a trice. I like him. But, at the same time, due to his job his financial interests are in direct conflict with those of housebuyers; they need some sort of check and balance and another person selling them a house is not it.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

I accept that there is a limit to how much you can generalize from personal experiences but a conversation I had, as a relative newbie, went something like:

Me: The house is exactly what we are looking for. It is listed at $X. Should we offer $X - a little bit.

Realtor: No. That is way too much. Offer $X - a lot.

Which we did, and it was accepted.

{Edited to add} All the positive real estate experiences I have had has been the result of following a realtor's advice. All the negative ones were where I thought I knew better. I am not trying to pretend there are not crooks and charlatans masquerading as realtors, but a good one is worth their commission.

Last edited by JonboyE; May 16th 2011 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.