Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Really naive question about return tickets

Really naive question about return tickets

Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Really naive question about return tickets

We're not at the "one way trip to Canada" stage yet (but will be before this time next year), but I was just curious about ticket purchasing. The very basic research I've done indicates that buying a return ticket is actually cheaper than buying a one way, and I know there are various hassles about certain airlines not letting you on with a one-way ticket, insurance companies not covering you, etc.

If you buy a return ticket, but have no intention of returning on the date the ticket is for, I imagine you lose the ticket (may as well just throw it in the bin). Is there any way of buying what is effectively an "open return"...i.e. a ticket which is not tied to a specific date, but has the fare pre-paid for a return journey (kind of like what you can get on trains)?

I doubt this is the case, but I was just wondering.

Thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:04 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Really naive question about return tickets

Hi. We like you thought about having booking a return flight when we eventually land in Calgary because of price, however we did a search on line with Air Canada and found out that a 1 way flight to Calgary in January will only cost around £550 each.

Regards, Steve
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We're not at the "one way trip to Canada" stage yet (but will be before this time next year), but I was just curious about ticket purchasing. The very basic research I've done indicates that buying a return ticket is actually cheaper than buying a one way, and I know there are various hassles about certain airlines not letting you on with a one-way ticket, insurance companies not covering you, etc.

If you buy a return ticket, but have no intention of returning on the date the ticket is for, I imagine you lose the ticket (may as well just throw it in the bin). Is there any way of buying what is effectively an "open return"...i.e. a ticket which is not tied to a specific date, but has the fare pre-paid for a return journey (kind of like what you can get on trains)?

Thanks.
Of course you can buy open tickets. They are, however, usually much, much more expensive (multiples). I've certainly never bought one using my own money.

I don't think it's really an issue, though. When I came to Canada in 2000 I had a one-way ticket. The Air Canada check-in person was fine with that once she saw my PR visa.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I quite often throw away the return coupon on domestic tickets. For example, we recently went to Colorado to collect a car, it was cheaper to buy a return ticket and to throw away the coupon than to buy a one way ticket. There's no logic to air fares, sometimes I've bought two return tickets to a destination and thrown away two of the coupons because it was cheaper than buying one return ticket. Sometimes the airlines will let you change the date of the return leg for a fee but it's not really very useful to have a coupon from Canada to Heathrow once you live in Canada.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:28 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

We bought one way tickets in May and it was cheaper than buying returns. 4 tickets for around 1000 GBP if I recall. No issues at all with the airline etc.
As for travel ins, we got short term ins through the Post Office which was about 3 days coverage and it wasn't expensive. Just piece of mind whilst in the travelling / in between stage.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:27 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Not naice at all - in fact good question I am sure a few of us were wondering. Thanks for taking the load off my shoulders!
Cheers,
Fluffy
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:26 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I managed to get a one way cheaper than a return when I landed in August but it was cheaper to have a return for my wife landing in September. I did pay a little extra so I could change the date back as my wife will go to organise the shipping when our house finally sells. However the ticket only allowed one change and it must be done before Dec 15 and we still dont know when she returns - so after talking to Air Canada it is destined for the recycling bin - should have saved the money.

Regarding insurance - I checked with my house insurance which had cover for me when abroad - but it would not count if I had emmigrated as it does not calss as a holiday - may be worth looking into exactly what the insurance covers for.

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

Thanks.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir
...may be worth looking into exactly what the insurance covers for.
We had quotes from pacific Blue Cross and Canadasure, covers all usual travel stuff plus med. The actual level of coverage for 'stuff' isn't so high but what is vital is the X$m cover for medical emergencies etc.

We paid something like <$300 PP for three months cover with Canadasure.
Didn't need to use it, glad we didn't for all the potential hassle, but nice to feel safe and secure on travels. An RTA or robbery etc is all that's needed to screw it all up. Depends if your fiscally conservative, cautious, or whatever.

Rich.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:44 pm

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Good points Rich - and also worth mentioning that the first three months could be potentially lethal. I rushed out one lunch time with a lot to do and when crossing the road in a rush overlloked which direction I should be looking and nearly ended up as a bonnet ornament. the danger is all around when driving and walking with the cars on the right side of the road. After 3 months the risk is less - perhaps why we can't get medical cover for the first three months.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
We had quotes from pacific Blue Cross and Canadasure, covers all usual travel stuff plus med. The actual level of coverage for 'stuff' isn't so high but what is vital is the X$m cover for medical emergencies etc.

We paid something like <$300 PP for three months cover with Canadasure.
Didn't need to use it, glad we didn't for all the potential hassle, but nice to feel safe and secure on travels. An RTA or robbery etc is all that's needed to screw it all up. Depends if your fiscally conservative, cautious, or whatever.

Rich.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:46 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 months the risk is less - perhaps why we can't get medical cover for the first three months.
Nah, we just don't have the Alberta Advantage here in BC.

Rich
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:20 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

Like others have said I'd be surprised if you could find a return that was cheaper than a one-way ticket. With open return tickets also keep in mind that they are only valid for a certain period. The longest I have seen is 12 months.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:46 pm

I was talking to Air Canada only the other day and they informed me it is still cheaper to get a return than a one way. Sounds crazy I know but that is the way it works.

Originally Posted by OzRob
Like others have said I'd be surprised if you could find a return that was cheaper than a one-way ticket. With open return tickets also keep in mind that they are only valid for a certain period. The longest I have seen is 12 months.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:05 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

I was talking to Air Canada only the other day and they informed me it is still cheaper to get a return than a one way. Sounds crazy I know but that is the way it works.
Air Canada sound like they are about 10 years behind the times!! Most airlines have now come to there senses on this issue.

I was talking to somebody a couple of weeks ago that I met in Canada earlier this year. He lives in the UK and was thinking about returning to Canada for a couple of weeks. He said he had found one-way fares for as low as 89 pounds (sorry I have a US key board.) So there are some cheap flights out there but obviously not with Air Canada.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:11 pm

The issue I have is that only Air Canada do the Vancouver to Heathrow direct flight. I did look into some of the cheaper flights but you have to watch the weight limmit. I got 64kg allowance - some of the cheaper flights only allow 32kg because they take on payloads with the plane to cut prices.

Guess the main difference depends on Holiday vs immegration.

Originally Posted by OzRob
Air Canada sound like they are about 10 years behind the times!! Most airlines have now come to there senses on this issue.

I was talking to somebody a couple of weeks ago that I met in Canada earlier this year. He lives in the UK and was thinking about returning to Canada for a couple of weeks. He said he had found one-way fares for as low as 89 pounds (sorry I have a US key board.) So there are some cheap flights out there but obviously not with Air Canada.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:53 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Having worked for an airline for 6 years am pretty clued up on the whole thing.

In gerenal oneway tkts will be more expensive than a return, this is because they are normally a fully flex fare. The cheapy fares all have a return restriction on them (ie have to return within 3 months of the outbound date) The fare will always be non refundable on these cheapy tkts BUT the unused taxes are always refundable, OK you won't get that much back but something is always better than nothing!!!!!

If you have documents to support you are able to stay in Canada, then you should have no problems with being able to board with a oneway tkt. However if you have a return tkt and the airline find out you have no intention of using the return portion, you can be refused boarding without first purchasing a oneway tkt. The airlines are not allowed to knowing let you purchase/board a flight on a return tkt if the return portion is not being used.

You can buy an "open" tkt, but the return portion must be used within one year of the outbound travel date. These tkts are always on the least restricted fare so will be expensive but you will be able to claim a refund if unable to use the return.

I think that has covered everything and I hope all the info makes sense
Kind Regards Tanya