Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Holy crap, I pay on average $120 a month for electricity and over $200 a month for oil for heating for my recently reinsulated double glazed house. No wonder people have widely different impressions of life here.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:15 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Holy crap, I pay on average $120 a month for electricity and over $200 a month for oil for heating for my recently reinsulated double glazed house. No wonder people have widely different impressions of life here.

Go West, young man, Go West.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I wasn't commenting on YOUR experience as yes I agree you possibly do have all this in Canada. But you can also have all this in England too.
All the things I have highlighted I do not agree that you can't have in England and the creepy old man in the bar thing is just rude. You don't have to speak to him

There are needles in plenty of parks here and certainly not in every park in England.
There are plenty of free and cheap things to do on a weekend in England too. My family and I use to bike ride a lot along cycle paths in the country stopping at a country pub for a nice lunch and then continuing. Or take a picnic and find a nice country park to sit in, for example.
Probably since I am from Scotland I see the worst of the UK. Every "pub" that serves food where I am from is full of people who look you up and down and judge you, and then stare at you until you leave. Hence, I don't go out at home.

Also I noticed every time I would go out at home, there would be a bar fight, where someone was bottled, or knifed, or kicked, and Ive never once seen one here.

Sure its all do do with where I am from and Scotland as opposed to England. I am sure England is quite lovely.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Go West, young man, Go West.
On the other hand my mortgage is only 600 a month (including property taxes)
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:26 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Probably since I am from Scotland I see the worst of the UK. Every "pub" that serves food where I am from is full of people who look you up and down and judge you, and then stare at you until you leave. Hence, I don't go out at home.

Also I noticed every time I would go out at home, there would be a bar fight, where someone was bottled, or knifed, or kicked, and Ive never once seen one here.

Sure its all do do with where I am from and Scotland as opposed to England. I am sure England is quite lovely.
WOW you were from a rough area. I never experienced anything like that.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Thats probably it, I grew up in South West Scotland, then went to Uni in Glasgow.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

My eldest brother lives in Scotland. He rather likes it. Went there for Uni 30 years ago and never left. There are nice bits everywhere. What you see and experience and how people treat you is what makes a place good and bad. Different people can see the same place totally differently.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

My eldest brother lives in Scotland. He rather likes it. Went there for Uni 30 years ago and never left. There are nice bits everywhere. What you see and experience and how people treat you is what makes a place good and bad. Different people can see the same place totally differently.
Im from such a small town, but you see so much bad stuff going on its depressing. I am sure that happens everywhere, I was never involved in any of the drugs, or beatings, or anything like that, but you are totally aware of it.

People in Guelph don't even lock their doors....

Its like I have walked into Bizzaro Land!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rdashmore
Your lumberjacking comment is blatant stereotypical
and rude.

Opportunities are plentiful in all major growth
industries, oil and gas, financials, and technology.
Our resources and banking system are the envy of the
world. We can compare statistical data and happiness
indexes to the Nth degree, and the end result
favours Canada now and forever.

Like London UK, there is 'city parks' in all major
Canadian cities, both being full of lakes, rocks,
and trees, and both have people walking with their
dogs.

To visit the 'wilderness' from London UK, it also
takes at least an hour or two of travel. It is all
relative, thats part of living in a vast country, if
someone doesn't like to purchase a car and drive
long distances that's their choice. There are more
areas to choose from in Canada with much greater
quality and that is why British folks and other
immigrants have chosen to move here in the 1st
place; choice, space, and opportunity.

+1

I agree. Although my wife and I have decided to now buy a house here in the Scotland, we feel there is a VERY limited number of areas in which we consider worthy of settling and raising our ramily. Areas that are new, clean, well looked after. Im not saying small pockets of these places don't exist in Scotland but just not as much. The point I'm agreeung with is larger, much larger choice of 'better' standard communities in Canada....
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:34 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have kind of worked it out (and this is my view based on what I am dealing with)
Childcare is cheaper ($25 a day as opposed to GBP57 a day back in England) as is my mortgage at $750 a month including taxes. My old one was GBP800 plus council tax of approx GBP210 per month.

Gas is currently cheaper at $1.25 a litre, I have no clue what it is in England now but thats less than when we left.

BUT - I drive further.
Food, heating, going out, wine, clothes (sometimes) are more expensive. I havent even gone down the road of baseball and dance lessons.

So to me you can live and work as you can afford childcare but if you want the latest iphone, lamb chops and a bottle of wine you pay a LOT MORE.

Of course I am in Nova Scotia, could be massively different elsewhere. Oh and I dont lock my door either - often.

I do prefer my neighbourhood to my UK one, I prefer Halifax to our closest big town in the UK. My house is amazing. I love the seasons and this summer is fabulous so far!

Last edited by Howefamily; Jul 13th 2012 at 6:34 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Im from such a small town, but you see so much bad stuff going on its depressing. I am sure that happens everywhere, I was never involved in any of the drugs, or beatings, or anything like that, but you are totally aware of it.

People in Guelph don't even lock their doors....

Its like I have walked into Bizzaro Land!
Its a mind set thing. Like you said, nothing ever directly happened to you, but you think about it, right? Here, you just dont think about it.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its a mind set thing. Like you said, nothing ever directly happened to you, but you think about it, right? Here, you just dont think about it.
Yeah I probably just don't know the right people because I dont have enough friends here! I am sure the more people I know, the more bad apples I would find haha! But my Boyfriend, who is a local, said he would just leave his doors unlocked at night...no way I would do that at home!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

ScottyXX is still in the honeymoon phase, give her time!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by rdashmore
Your lumberjacking comment is blatant stereotypical
and rude.
No, its just silly humo(u)r.
Also - DBD33 is still a little bit sour with the Lumber and Sawmills Union (Local 2995) since they pulled his card in 63' upon discovering his past shenanigans informing for the OPP, coupled with his financial support for JD in his dying days.

He will try to convince you that "he was still in London" at the time. He will never learn.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Exactly my electricity bill for June was $117 for my 3 bed house bear in mind im only there for 3 hours in the evening and weekends using measurable supply as the rest of the time im at work or asleep.
I'm sorry. It's a Friday and I'm feeling a bit stupid. Can you explain how paying $117 a month for electricity in the summer equates to heating your house for 10 quid a month. Nearer to 70 quid a month by my maths. And of course, going to be more in the depth winter. So, explain again where your 10 quid figure comes from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.