Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The reality of immigrating

Wikiposts

The reality of immigrating

Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of immigrating

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's ok here, but I wouldn't make the same decision again. I'd have stayed in Asia.
Its a bit crap here, but then everywhere is a bit crap. I have certainly lived in crappier places.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:26 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
So do I.

Still miss NZ though.
Is that where you're from?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:26 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its a bit crap here, but then everywhere is a bit crap. I have certainly lived in crappier places.
nail, head.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:27 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Is that where you're from?
username didn't give it away, eh?

yes, with a longish period in the UK as a child.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
Which part of Asia are we talking about here?
Bangkok.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:38 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok here, but I wouldn't make the same decision again. I'd have stayed in Asia.
I don't know Thailand but I couldn't live in the parts of Asia I do know about. Apart from the language problem I find Asian society far too claustrophobic.*

One of the things I like about BC is that if you chose to mind your own business then no-one is going to stop you. I also like the space and the ability to be quickly a long way away from anyone else.

* huge generalization.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Bangkok.
Are they Thai letters above your avatar? I thought they are Hindu or Arabic letters which anyway look the same to me.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:35 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't know Thailand but I couldn't live in the parts of Asia I do know about. Apart from the language problem I find Asian society far too claustrophobic.*

One of the things I like about BC is that if you chose to mind your own business then no-one is going to stop you. I also like the space and the ability to be quickly a long way away from anyone else.

* huge generalization.
Bangkok is like that, but once you get into the country it's much quieter. I'm also not going to hide the fact that the main attraction is (or rather was) the wealth my western salary gave me and all the good things that come with being a lot richer than most of the people around you. The entire time I was there felt like one long holiday.

Are they Thai letters above your avatar? I thought they are Hindu or Arabic letters which anyway look the same to me.
Yes. It is a transliteration of an english phrase so google translation tools won't help you.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bangkok is like that, but once you get into the country it's much quieter. I'm also not going to hide the fact that the main attraction is (or rather was) the wealth my western salary gave me and all the good things that come with being a lot richer than most of the people around you. The entire time I was there felt like one long holiday.

Yes. It is a transliteration of an english phrase so google translation tools won't help you.
Are you a Bangkok native? Or were you a B-expat in Bangkok?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:47 am

Are you a Bangkok native? Or were you a B-expat in Bangkok?
I'm not Thai. I was on an ex-pat hardship posting.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not Thai. I was on an ex-pat hardship posting.
If you're not Thai, why use Thai letters? Do you think that's cool?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:07 am

If you're not Thai, why use Thai letters? Do you think that's cool?
I like them.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:14 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I like them.
Of course, technically its against the rules But maybe thats why you like them
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The reality of immigrating

I like your user name. It has class.
Thank you Alan2005
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

er...always keep the washing up liquid next to the sink 'cos that's probably where you'll need it.