Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The reality of immigrating

Wikiposts

The reality of immigrating

Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of immigrating

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
We should not forget that Canada has an official program for immigration not like the UK...The way Canada adverstises this program as if things are greener on their side. This is especially true for highly educated immigrants whose education and professional experience get high marks during the immigration process BUT once in Canada, you become nobody. You end up spending all your savings, may have to go to their schools again in the hope of finding a job, and (if lucky) getting any job that is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from your qualifications just to live in a survival mode.

So many people feel cheated.....
Moving to someone else's country has it's issues.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

We should not forget that Canada has an official program for immigration not like the UK...The way Canada adverstises this program as if things are greener on their side. This is especially true for highly educated immigrants whose education and professional experience get high marks during the immigration process BUT once in Canada, you become nobody. You end up spending all your savings, may have to go to their schools again in the hope of finding a job, and (if lucky) getting any job that is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from your qualifications just to live in a survival mode.

I like your user name. It has class.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

Immigration is a trip into no mans land, not one of them and no longer one of them.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:42 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

From today's Calgary Herald.

OTTAWA — Immigrants who arrive in Canada before the age of 18 have a better chance at job success than those who come as adults, according to a study released Tuesday.
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz0zc4iKV8H
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

In contrast to the original post....

i migrated without any doubts regarding the appropriateness of the destination to my own personal preference, nor had i any doubts that i would overcome any obstacles encountered, with sheer determination and hard work.

i felt comfortable, settled and truly at HOME within the first month of finding long term accomodation, which took only about 5 days worth of solid house hunting.

i found work of the permanent and fulltime variety within 3 months of arriving with zero leads, thanks to relentless daily job hunting.

i've acquired an extensive network of friends and acquaintances through the hockey sessions i have played, within 9 months of becoming a stranger in a strange land.

nothing i have done has been regretable. everything i do continues to be a pleasure which demands dedicated hard work.

it is true that i have no credit history but frankly, if that is a significantly salient factor when considering a move to a foreign land.... well i am rendered speechless.

nothing worth having ever came easy and indeed it is the sense of accomplishment that makes it all so much more satisfying.

My Vanniversary is next week and this has been the absolute best year of my life.

But that's just me.

Last edited by paolosmythe; Sep 15th 2010 at 4:06 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Steve_P
From today's Calgary Herald.
What a surprise!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:35 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
In contrast to the original post....
A year into my life in canada I might have written much the same, but over time things balance out and you realise the grass is just a different shade of green.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
A year into my life in canada I might have written much the same, but over time things balance out and you realise the grass is just a different shade of green.
perhaps because i am aware of the probability of 'the novelty wearing off', i am currently savouring every moment?

i confess that i have no plan, should i ever loose interest in snowboarding, the great outdoors, playing hockey, going to NHL games or eating poutine!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
perhaps because i am aware of the probability of 'the novelty wearing off', i am currently savouring every moment?
The novelty doesn't necessarily wear off. I am currently in my 12th year here and most of the time feel pretty much how you do now.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hhmmm interesting; From a (very) limited sample size....

it appears that life in ON "balances out" into varying shades of green,
whereas in BC the 'honeymoon period' is perpetual!

Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:08 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's ok here, but I wouldn't make the same decision again. I'd have stayed in Asia.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:16 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

This is not what I/we planned - we planned on Europe.

At this point, though, we're staying. I'm mostly ok with it but I have days when teh grass looks a lot greener, but I suspect I am that kind of person anyway.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's ok here, but I wouldn't make the same decision again. I'd have stayed in Asia.
Which part of Asia are we talking about here?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
This is not what I/we planned - we planned on Europe.

At this point, though, we're staying. I'm mostly ok with it but I have days when teh grass looks a lot greener, but I suspect I am that kind of person anyway.
I think Canada is better than New Zealand.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:25 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityhog
I think Canada is better than New Zealand.
So do I.

Still miss NZ though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.