Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Realistic house price?

Realistic house price?

Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Realistic house price?

Hi,

We are in the middle of completing our application forms for skilled worker to Nova Scotia, so just a small wait ahead!!!

I'm trying to work out how much we need to save for a house. If possible we'd like to buy a place outright or have very little mortgage after selling up here.

We'd almost certainly be looking to settle in the Halifax area as I think its more likely for me to get a job in the biotech/research sector there what with all the universities in the area.

Here is what we'd be looking for :-

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
not too close to the city
commute up to 45 mins each way
good highway access

I was hoping to get what I wanted for £50-60K ($100-120K) do you think this is realistic?

I've been looking on the mls.ca site and I dont find that many.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:10 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic house price?

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

We are in the middle of completing our application forms for skilled worker to Nova Scotia, so just a small wait ahead!!!

I'm trying to work out how much we need to save for a house. If possible we'd like to buy a place outright or have very little mortgage after selling up here.

We'd almost certainly be looking to settle in the Halifax area as I think its more likely for me to get a job in the biotech/research sector there what with all the universities in the area.

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
good highway access

I was hoping to get what I wanted for £50-60K ($100-120K) do you think this is realistic?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat
Mat, looks like your last sentence answered your own question ! There are a few people on here in NS so maybe they can add when they wake up.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:41 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
good highway access

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat
We just bought a place which fits your description and paid $245k I would think that you'd need to be quite a way from Halifax to pay as little as $120k or look for a "fixer upper".
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

I'm very happy to get a fixer-upper, to be honest I didnt expect to find exactly what I wanted to be in mint condition as everyones tastes are different.

what area is your property in zigy8080, are you far outisde the city?
Are prices similar to the UK in that you'd pay more for rural than city or is it not so noticable as suburban homes have less commuting time with less disruption due to severe weather?

Is the mls.ca site the best one to use when looking for tis type of property?

thanks

Mat