British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Realistic house price? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/realistic-house-price-348618/)

Sockdogg Jan 16th 2006 9:49 am

Realistic house price?

Hi,

We are in the middle of completing our application forms for skilled worker to Nova Scotia, so just a small wait ahead!!!

I'm trying to work out how much we need to save for a house. If possible we'd like to buy a place outright or have very little mortgage after selling up here.

We'd almost certainly be looking to settle in the Halifax area as I think its more likely for me to get a job in the biotech/research sector there what with all the universities in the area.

Here is what we'd be looking for :-

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
not too close to the city
commute up to 45 mins each way
good highway access

I was hoping to get what I wanted for £50-60K ($100-120K) do you think this is realistic?

I've been looking on the mls.ca site and I dont find that many.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat

Tangram Jan 16th 2006 10:10 am

Re: Realistic house price?

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

We are in the middle of completing our application forms for skilled worker to Nova Scotia, so just a small wait ahead!!!

I'm trying to work out how much we need to save for a house. If possible we'd like to buy a place outright or have very little mortgage after selling up here.

We'd almost certainly be looking to settle in the Halifax area as I think its more likely for me to get a job in the biotech/research sector there what with all the universities in the area.

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
good highway access

I was hoping to get what I wanted for £50-60K ($100-120K) do you think this is realistic?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat

Mat, looks like your last sentence answered your own question ! There are a few people on here in NS so maybe they can add when they wake up.

scrubbedexpat074 Jan 16th 2006 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

1-5 acres
3 or more bedrooms
garage
good highway access

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Mat

We just bought a place which fits your description and paid $245k I would think that you'd need to be quite a way from Halifax to pay as little as $120k or look for a "fixer upper".

Sockdogg Jan 16th 2006 12:13 pm

I'm very happy to get a fixer-upper, to be honest I didnt expect to find exactly what I wanted to be in mint condition as everyones tastes are different.

what area is your property in zigy8080, are you far outisde the city?
Are prices similar to the UK in that you'd pay more for rural than city or is it not so noticable as suburban homes have less commuting time with less disruption due to severe weather?

Is the mls.ca site the best one to use when looking for tis type of property?

thanks

Mat