Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The real cost of immigrating...

Wikiposts

The real cost of immigrating...

Old May 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice
Default Re: The real cost of immigrating...

Originally Posted by beeginger
hi there everyone,
my husband and myself have been here in Edmonton for 3 months and loving it.

moving here is like anything else, as cheap or as expensive as yo make it.
we are both in our 40s, hubby truck driver and for the first time in my life i am a housewife.
we came with nothing except 3 suitcases full of clothes and photos and 4,000 sterling. luckily dave was paid from the day we landed ,even though he didnt start work or training.
we landed lovely 2 bed apt with patio, surrounded by trees near shops and buses, 15 mins from downtown all for $960 pm inc elec , water and heating o all we pay on top is tv $53 pm and telephone with internet $100 pm.
we have nothing material yet we are having so much fun. apt comes with dishwasher / fridge freezer and cooker. weve only bt 20inch tv $100 / dvd recorder $100 / laptop $700 / printer combi $30 / ikea settee $230 / dining suite $170 and the best bed in the whole world, queen size sealy on sale $600. obviously weve bt other bits like bedding and kitchen stuff. we realised that after bringing up 5 kids between us, working fulltime all our lives we really had nothing that important to bring except our selves. we are also alone for the first time in 20 yrs, just the 2 of us to do as we please when we please. so why spend money on material things, its like being 18 again. life is comfortable , quiet or exciting depending on how we feel. i may stay up till 3am if daves in late then not get up till 10.30am. we eat out or not, we go out walking in one of the numerous parks.
THIS IS WHAT CANADA HAS DONE FOR US and all on a shoestring.

Good luck to everyone who makes the change
I think you've highlighted a good point. I realise some people want to take everything with them when moving abroad, but personally I think moving abroad is a new life adventure, a fresh start. I think maybe hoarding nearly everything you own to the other side of the world is not necessary and is a sign that you're trying to keep hold of a little of what you had back in the UK, which in itself is not a good sign as I think this prevents people from really setting down roots and gives rise to a hanckering of 'what used to be'.
Unless you have family antiques i'd recommend just taking a few suitcases.

The best of luck to you Beeginger
Old May 17th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I think you've highlighted a good point. I realise some people want to take everything with them when moving abroad, but personally I think moving abroad is a new life adventure, a fresh start. I think maybe hoarding nearly everything you own to the other side of the world is not necessary and is a sign that you're trying to keep hold of a little of what you had back in the UK, which in itself is not a good sign as I think this prevents people from really setting down roots and gives rise to a hanckering of 'what used to be'.

I agree that bringing junk with you is not good but a survey last year showed that immigrants that brought reminders of "home" with them actually settled faster than those who didn't! I thought that was really interesting! I know that when I moved from Canada to the UK it was incredibly comforting to have my "favourite things" around me...
Old May 18th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Wonderful post Beeginger.

Totally uplifting and a good attitude to have.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Just to add to my last post....
I think this is the post positive posting I have read lately on here re moving abroad. Beeginger is sooooo correct, everything can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it, the same as here in the UK. The problem is, alot of people don't wish to sacrifice or substitute material items these days. On a personal level i'd say if you have a chance of a once in a lifetime opportunity such as this then grasp it with both hands, the worst thing to live with is 'regret'. Moving to Vancouver on my own in my early 30's for a year was, i can say, the hardest but the best thing i've ever done in my life (more so than jumping out of a plane & studying for a degree for 3 yrs), it's uplifting and empowering.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Just to add to my last post....
I think this is the post positive posting I have read lately on here re moving abroad. Beeginger is sooooo correct, everything can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it, the same as here in the UK. The problem is, alot of people don't wish to sacrifice or substitute material items these days. On a personal level i'd say if you have a chance of a once in a lifetime opportunity such as this then grasp it with both hands, the worst thing to live with is 'regret'. Moving to Vancouver on my own in my early 30's for a year was, i can say, the hardest but the best thing i've ever done in my life (more so than jumping out of a plane & studying for a degree for 3 yrs), it's uplifting and empowering.
I completley agree. I also think that everyone who does it and makes a life for themselves should be immensely proud of themselves. Even though I'm heading back to Canada I am very proud that I arrived in London in my mid-20s with £300 only and made a life for myself, (prob even more thankful that I'm leaving with more than that )

We're in a position to go over and spend this money - but there are other things we'll be sacrificing and substituting other things.

Its all an ebb and flow on the journey isn't it?

Glad to have an inspirational post really - reminds us that with all the waiting the doing is still possible!
Old May 18th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: The real cost of immigrating...

thankyou
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:52 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it cost us GBP47k to move a family of 4. That includes the cost of selling our house in the UK (i.e. estate agent and legal fees) and the cost of purchase in Canada (legal fees, taxes etc.) but not the actual sale or purchase price of the houses (which is impossible to factor in because you would be comparing apples and oranges). It also doesn't include the cost of buying a car (we worked on the assumption that the proceeds of selling cars in the UK covered the cost of buying similar ones in Canada). It roughly broke down like this...

GBP10,000 Selling house - legal, estate agent, mortgage redemption penalty
GBP5,000 Buying house in Canada - legal fees and taxes
GBP7,000 Removals, shipping & insurance
GBP5,000 Various Immigration fees
GBP10,000 Cost of flights, hotel, car hire for move and recon visits
GBP10,000 Cost of paying rent in Canada AND mortgage in UK while were waiting for our house to sell.
Total = GBP47k

Also see my post on the cost of living in Canada whick might be helpful: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=42
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I reckon it cost us GBP47k to move a family of 4. That includes the cost of selling our house in the UK (i.e. estate agent and legal fees) and the cost of purchase in Canada (legal fees, taxes etc.) but not the actual sale or purchase price of the houses (which is impossible to factor in because you would be comparing apples and oranges). It also doesn't include the cost of buying a car (we worked on the assumption that the proceeds of selling cars in the UK covered the cost of buying similar ones in Canada). It roughly broke down like this...

GBP10,000 Selling house - legal, estate agent, mortgage redemption penalty
GBP5,000 Buying house in Canada - legal fees and taxes
GBP7,000 Removals, shipping & insurance
GBP5,000 Various Immigration fees
GBP10,000 Cost of flights, hotel, car hire for move and recon visits
GBP10,000 Cost of paying rent in Canada AND mortgage in UK while were waiting for our house to sell.
Total = GBP47k

Also see my post on the cost of living in Canada whick might be helpful: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=42
With the greatest respect it sounds like you were robbed !!

How on earth did you spend $12000 on "buying house in Canada - legal fees and taxes" ? Our lawyer charged us $600 for purchase and we didn't have to pay any taxes (property taxes are similar to UK's council tax)

$15000 on moving !! Most people pay $8,000ish for a 20 ft container - what were you moving ??
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:24 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

How on earth did you spend $12000 on "buying house in Canada - legal fees and taxes" ? Our lawyer charged us $600 for purchase and we didn't have to pay any taxes (property taxes are similar to UK's council tax)

$15000 on moving !! Most people pay $8,000ish for a 20 ft container - what were you moving ??
I was thinking exactly that! We paid $9k for packing, storage (6 months), shipping, delivering and unpacking. Our house purchase fees were around the $650 mark. Our immigration/med fees were approx $4000 and that not only includes the SW pr visa but 2 lots of medicals and 3 times renewal work permit/ visitor permit fees!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:10 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a property purchase tax in NS like UK stamp duty?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:47 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly my GBP numbers were based on current exchange rates so its more like $10k rather than $12k. Legal fees were only $700 so similar to yours. Then we paid $6k (roughly) in Deed transfer tax (similar to UK stamp duty but the rates are a lot lower). That part was the largest item. There are lots of areas in NS where Deed transfer tax doesn't apply but if you want to live near a developed area you pay it. Then there is 6 months property tax (like council tax) up front (probably about $2k), inspection (survey) fee etc. It all adds up.

With regard to shipping we filled a 40ft container. That's probably more than average but we had lots of stuff and didn't want to sell it or leave it behind. We probably vcould have rationalised but that was our choice!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

A 'fresh start' need not mean dumb financial decisions.

'Hoarding' is an odd word to use - for me there's no logic to leaving behind useful posessions. We had relatively new furniture, some antique items, tools, leisure stuff etc etc that over time had taken hard work and effort to buy. Would I have wanted to get a fraction of what we'd paid for them and had to start all over again in a new country? - I don't think so, the cost as already highlighted can be quite daunting, so why make it even worse?

Emmigrating's stressful enough without wondering if you'll have a bed to sleep on and pots and pans in the kitchen. Furnishing a place from scratch is expensive and very time consuming (time spent shopping, and the inevitable 6-8wk delivery period). If you've got stuff you like, why on earth not take it with you? Perhaps you're just an advocate of consumerism?

We arrived during a dock strike, and only had our suitcases of posessions for 6weeks until the stike ended and the container could be moved. It's not a whole lot of fun trying to make do for that period of time without a decent seat to sit on, or a bed to sleep in, but that in effect is what you're suggesting, in order to prevent 'hankering' after England. Once everything arrived, my sofas and bed hardly shouted 'Cotswolds' at me or made me yearn for damp air and traffic congestion.

Last edited by R I C H; Jun 12th 2007 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

Heard an interesting snippet on the news this morning

apparently the average cost of moving house in the UK has risen to £22k!
This includes estate agent fees, legal fees, removals etc etc

Old Jun 12th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by R I C H

'Hoarding' is an odd word to use - for me there's no logic to leaving behind useful posessions. We had relatively new furniture, some antique items, tools, leisure stuff etc etc that over time had taken hard work and effort to buy. Would I have wanted to get a fraction of what we'd paid for them and had to start all over again in a new country? - I don't think so, the cost as already highlighted can be quite daunting, so why make it even worse?

Emmigrating's stressful enough without wondering if you'll have a bed to sleep on and pots and pans in the kitchen. Furnishing a place from scratch is expensive and very time consuming (time spent shopping, and the inevitable 6-8wk delivery period). If you've got stuff you like, why on earth not take it with you? Perhaps you're just an advocate of consumerism?

We arrived during a dock strike, and only had our suitcases of posessions for 6weeks until the stike ended and the container could be moved. It's not a whole lot of fun trying to make do for that period of time without a decent seat to sit on, or a bed to sleep in, but that in effect is what you're suggesting, in order to prevent 'hankering' after England. Once everything arrived, my sofas and bed hardly shouted 'Cotswolds' at me or made me yearn for damp air and traffic congestion.

Fantastic.

It has taken me ages to decide if we should sell everything and start a fresh or ship our stuff over.

Don't get me wrong I have no really expensive pieces of furniture or paintings but we have worked out that the cost of replacing our current items will be way more than the shipping costs.

We have 3 children under the age of 6 and the cost of replacing all their toys, computers, beds, books etc etc would be daft. We also only bought our 3 piece suite last year so its practically brand new, so is most of our beds, tables etc etc. We have worked bloody hard over the past 7 years to get the items we have now and I'm not willing to sell everything for pennys.
Its going to cost enough to replace all our electrical items and there is no way I want to spend weeks shopping - even if I am a woman.

Karla x x x x
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:11 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by R I C H

Yes - its interesting how people have such strong opinions on how much you should be allowed to take (or what are seansible levels for all your other expenses for that matter). Comments like "Most people pay $8,000ish for a 20 ft container" (thank you Almost Canadian) seem to suggest that everyone ought to conform to the usual quantity. However the reality is that everyone is different. If all you own is a load of old junk then perhaps you are better off selling it and buying new but if your stuff is half decent then why shouldn't you take it? It really does cost a small fortune to replace everything with new once you arrive - much more than the shipping costs. Pluse these are your things and why shouldn't you keep them. Emmigrating is about swapping your lifestyle and environment for a better one but it doesn't have to include some kind of cleansing excercise where you give away all your possessions as though you were joining some kind of possession-free cult!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.