Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The real cost of immigrating...

Wikiposts

The real cost of immigrating...

Old May 14th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of
Default Re: The real cost of immigrating...

Originally Posted by steve666
10K!!! 3 times that much for 2 cars plus insurance.
We were looking to buy 1 car with that - have to work our way up to 2!

A couple of CDN friends had said that was a lot... i checked Auto Trader and I thought we could get a decent car for that but the whole car thing drives me nuts... and don't get me started on ICBC!!!!!
Old May 14th 2007, 7:10 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

10K!!! 3 times that much for 2 cars plus insurance.
You could get a new base model "City Golf" and insure it (depending on Province!) for £10k, at present exchange rates.

TW, I think your budget is pretty generous. We have so far spent a lot less than your calculations, but our contingency had 12 months rent in it. On the vehicle front, it depends whether you need reliable commuters or just something to get around in. In Vancouver, you are probably looking at paying at least $10k for something old but reliable, then there is insurance and tax on top.
Old May 14th 2007, 7:38 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
I've just read the "would you do it again" poll and people seem to be shocked at how much it cost them to immigrate.

I made up a spreadsheet on the weekend and it looks like it's going to cost us around £35,000 to make the move.

This includes: all estate agent, surveyor and lawyers fees in Canada and the UK, flights (including our cat), 20' container shipping and insurance, buying a vehicle in Canada, first 4 months mortgage/rent payments, new furniture when we arrive, replacing small appliances and a contingency fund.

I'm wondering what sort of other costs there might be that surprised other people. Does £35k sound like too much or too little?

Thoughts?
In the area of £20K for us though we are married with no kids and I would assume that kids would push the figure much higher.

Now that we've bought our first home, put in central air, water softener, deck (to be built - materials in), appliances etc... the cost has went rapidly into the stratosphere. Savings all gone but at least the wife has an excellent job and we have our own home and car with only the mortgage payment as debt.

So yup - it costs a fortune to move.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:47 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I would, and I have. All costs are emigration costs when you get out there, afte a year or two it's normal living stuff, you need money kept back for reserve. And who has a job when they/we get there??
Eh?

Food, clothes and renos are emigration costs?, yet after a year or two they become normal living stuff?

You don't have to buy a house that needs renos and clothing can actually be shipped over. I know re-stocking cupboards can take a few $'s and a little while, but it's hardly imperative to have every spice in the kitchen from day 1.

Erm, anyone on a WP has a job from arrival - us self-employed folk just have to factor in poverty, debt and credit lines too though
Old May 14th 2007, 8:50 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Just look at your name!
In bold l e t t e r s
Nah, not bold, just capitals, 'cos I've an inflated sense of self-worth. And 'Rich' as a user name had already gone (I'm too dull to be creative and choose something else )
Old May 14th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Nah, not bold, just capitals, 'cos I've an inflated sense of self-worth. And 'Rich' as a user name had already gone (I'm too dull to be creative and choose something else )
R I C H

And I'm too tired to argue, and you don't care anyway.
But tomorrow!!!
Old May 14th 2007, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Almost Canadian what did you spend on cars if you don't mind me asking? I'm budgetting £10k for vehicles - is that too much? We will have money from the car sale to pay for the car (not 100%) but I wasn't counting anything I was offsetting!

We bought a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 52,000kms for $14,000 - please no groans.

Insurance for me and my wife was $1,000.

I travel to and from work on the C-Train so haven't bothered with a second car yet

HTH
Old May 14th 2007, 3:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering what sort of other costs there might be that surprised other people. Does £35k sound like too much or too little?
Have you factored in the costs of being out of a job for x months, plus the impact of (probably) having to take a downward career step?
Old May 14th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you factored in the costs of being out of a job for x months, plus the impact of (probably) having to take a downward career step?
Well I will be on pretty much the same salary and have temp work lined up for when we arrive. Hubby may have a harder time looking for work but we will have less outgoings but have budgeted to have 4 months worth of expenses available to us!
Old May 14th 2007, 8:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do people really emigrate to further their career?

Back to the original question, I have so far estimated

£5,800 estate agents fees
£500 Solicitors fees
£3,750 shipping furniture to Canada
£1,500 airfares (2 adults, 2 children to Vancouver)
£4,000 for 3 months rent
£10,000 for a used car & Insurance
£6,000 to last 3 months whilst looking for a job ie- food, bills etc

£31,550

Anything I've missed?
Old May 14th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny B

£500 Solicitors fees
£4,000 for 3 months rent

£31,550

Anything I've missed?

Will you need to replace any electricals, appliances, etc? Medical insurance for when you land for 3 months? Think thats a pretty good list.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:25 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Will you need to replace any electricals, appliances, etc? Medical insurance for when you land for 3 months? Think thats a pretty good list.
Well we are looking for a furnished place to rent but eventually yes, once we get a place of our own and steady money coming in we can then buy white goods and TV etc.

Medical insurance, I forgot about that will get some quotes later on if I can.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well we are looking for a furnished place to rent but eventually yes, once we get a place of our own and steady money coming in we can then buy white goods and TV etc.

Medical insurance, I forgot about that will get some quotes later on if I can.
For a furnished place - expect to put down at least 2 month's rent as what they call a "damage deposit" but it's essentially a security deposit. Might want to add that to the (ever-growing!!! ) list!
Old May 15th 2007, 3:27 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

£500 Solicitors fees
£4,000 for 3 months rent

£31,550

Anything I've missed?
Don't forget that short term rentals are much more expensive than a longer term one. Where are you going? Your budget would barely cover 6 weeks rental for a short term furnished place in Calgary
Old May 15th 2007, 4:43 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by louise033
Don't forget that short term rentals are much more expensive than a longer term one. Where are you going? Your budget would barely cover 6 weeks rental for a short term furnished place in Calgary
Have been quoted $8,100 for 3 months rental of a furnished 3 bed house in N.Van (long story) which is about £3,684 at todays rate so I should still have about £300 left for a deposit etc.
You sure you weren't confusing £ signs with $ signs if not, Calgary is damn expensive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.