Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ready for the Storm....

Ready for the Storm....

Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:19 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ready for the Storm....

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
Are homeless people as good as dead when the winter sets in then?

What about those walking home pished? Must be a few people catch pneumonia that way.
Stuart, am from Abz too - walking home pished in Calgary for most folk here is unheard of (unless you live in the core) in fact walking practically anywhere is alien to a lot of people, as is using transit - even bar hopping by foot (pub crawl) is not really that normal here compared to a night out on union street, social wise be prepared for some major changes
- we have a neighbourhood bar we can walk too (15mins) it's pretty much a last resort though - think duelling banjos with vlts
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sugar
Could I suggest that you watch your dogs pads in extreme cold they can crack.
Watch the salt and that artificial stuff.
Wash off their feet when they come home as they lick their paws.
Dont keep a puppy/dog out very long in extreme temps, put a coat on him.
I have a dog and find I really have to watch his pads in winter and frostbite on his ears.
I have dog boots to avoid the above but he hates them.
From one dog lover to another.

Thanks for the advice - This is Henry's 3rd winter and we tend to go by what he wants. He is a Chow Chow and Chows' love the cold far more than the heat. He is also not a 'licker' so much (other than the laminate floor) and not many people use salt around here. I have bought him some boots this year and he has beein getting marble sized ice blocks in between his toes, unfortunately they have already busted so I have to take them back and try a different sort with him. Here are a couple of picks of him. The one where he is laying in the snow, was after yesterday's walk - he refused to come inside as he wanted to cool down

P.S. for those of you that have short haired dog a coat is needed to protect the internal organs as much as anything else.
Attached Thumbnails Ready for the Storm....-henry-winter-2008-005.jpg   Ready for the Storm....-henry-winter-2008-004.jpg   Ready for the Storm....-henry-016.jpg  
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:42 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
Are homeless people as good as dead when the winter sets in then?

What about those walking home pished? Must be a few people catch pneumonia that way.
You walk home pissed and fall over, there's a good chance you will freeze to the ground. Skin and all.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You walk home pissed and fall over, there's a good chance you will freeze to the ground. Skin and all.
A regular at a bar I used to frequent slipped and fell, pissed, on the path to his apartment building, no more than 30' from the door. No one happened along until several hours later. He lost two fingers and a chunk of a third to frostbite. He was a journalist, what he is now I don't know.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bodgerx
No block heater experiences here, but, I thought I stick the knife into this car. I hired a ahem, "Sunfire" from Toronto airport a few years back and found it to be the worst car I'd ever driven. Plasticky interior, jerky auto box, engine that had a bag load of torque but was totally gutless. Kind of looked the part (in a boy racer sort of way), but drove like a car from 20 years ago. Leaf spring suspension = Horse and cart technology. Never again. If I owned one I'd be glad if it didn't start; I'd never have to sit in it....
It's only a bloody car. OK, it's fugly, but look at some facts. In the eight years we've had it, the thing has done lots of miles. It has towed trailers over long distances. It has carried all manner of building materials (we use it like an F150). It has never broken down or failed to start. It was cheap.

As for totally gutless, we have documentary proof to the contrary, supplied by various members of the OPP.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
A regular at a bar I used to frequent slipped and fell, pissed, on the path to his apartment building, no more than 30' from the door. No one happened along until several hours later. He lost two fingers and a chunk of a third to frostbite. He was a journalist, what he is now I don't know.
Yep, its scary. I know of someone who fell in the road, fortunately not the main highway. Her face froze to the tarmac.

There's a local court case going on right now about a woman who went into the bush, got frostbite, lost both legs and all fingers. Some say she was drunk, she says she wasn't and the roads weren't addequately signposted, hence the civil case.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's only a bloody car. OK, it's fugly, but look at some facts. In the eight years we've had it, the thing has done lots of miles. It has towed trailers over long distances. It has carried all manner of building materials (we use it like an F150). It has never broken down or failed to start. It was cheap.

As for totally gutless, we have documentary proof to the contrary, supplied by various members of the OPP.
Sorry came on a bit strong there. I was just annoyed at paying money to rent it, and I was trying to discourage anyone contemplating buying one.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:15 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about tempting fate. Bloody thing didn't start this morning.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Talk about tempting fate. Bloody thing didn't start this morning.