Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ready...set.....where do i go ?

ready...set.....where do i go ?

Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

davidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ready...set.....where do i go ?

hey there, im sorry but i havent......i asked key questions, and got one response that was not called for which has kicked this off. and the visa will only be the key to me moving if i apply for it, which will be determined by the information i ascertain about living in Canada. thanks for your input.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Davidmac75,

I apologise if my comments came over as critical/disparaging. That was not my intention.

I was (am) truly concerned about the visa situation (fantastic & detailled explanations given by others), as it *is* the first step, & your putative timeline - as I read it - didn't seem realistic.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

davidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of lightdavidmac75 is a glorious beacon of light

no problem, i think ill leave this thread as its descended into nothing positive at all. I am only trying to gain feedback from ex pats who can give detailed information on life 'when' in Canada....if getting there is not what i expected ill post in the appropriate section for that, thanks for your time and input.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:49 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think you just need to ask more pointed questions about specific areas. Imagine if I just said to you "What is life like in Europe? What's the work-life balance like? What about climate?" Your response would be like "uhhhhhh it reeeeally depends where you want to go..."

You're kind of in the same boat.

I think on the first page you mentioned west Toronto... if you do a search on the board for any of the cities that would fall under that umbrella you will find BUCKETS of threads on it as it's one of the most popular places for people to settle. (Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Georgetown, Hamilton, St Catherines, Niagara, and the various smaller towns that surround those.)

Work-life balance, well, that depends on the job. I used to work in Consulting and worked long, hard hours. My husband works at a bank and works 9 hour days, but a very standard 9 hour days, rarely deviates. I now work in private sector and have much better work-life balance, ususally working 8-430 or so with lots of flexibility to change hours or work from home. Holiday time, depends on the job and your seniority. Some places are super cheap and only give 2 weeks. Some places start with 3 but give you 4 once you reach a certain seniority or have been there for a certain amount of time. Both my husband and I have 4 weeks. THere are also more statutory holidays here than in the UK. We both had 5 weeks in the UK; when you add in the stat holidays, my husband has 2 fewer days off than when in the UK, I have 3 fewer. (He's got one extra because the banks close on Remembrance Day.)

Climate, again, depends. GTA climate is generally coldish winters (usually hovers around zero for the most part with a 2-3 week deep freeze but the past two winters have been more harsh), and then hot and humid summers (average temp in July has been mid-20s and add another 5ish degrees for humidity).

Generally you'll find that if you come on here looking for answers to specific questions and you show you have done some of your own research beforehand which includes searching for previous threads you will find you get MUCH better responses on here. No one wants to bother typing out the same answers to the same questions that get asked all the time.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Im not from Glasgow and im happy with my move, i lived in a lovely village in the UK. As has been said before on here, the sucess on your move depends on many things, however I have always thought the pull of Canada must be stronger than the push from the UK. If it is the move usually works out
I'm bringing this post forward, as I think it might have got lost in the visa 'fluff', and Paul's comment is an excellent one.

I've been in Canada for a long time, I came as a sort-of "trailing spouse". I.e. I didn't actually have any overriding desire to come here, other than following my Canadian now-ex-spouse.

My children were very small when we came. None of us particularly enjoyed the education system (but not in the province you're looking at), but they do seem to love living in Canada.

I've found the work/life balance pretty much comparable to Europe, depending on the job I was doing at the time: the hotel/tourism trade is same-same crazy; a local government job here had great working hours, great benefits, generous leave. Freelancing/self-employed involves less red tape than "over there" (to my mind).

Do you mind if I ask how long your wife has lived outside Canada? My Canadian spouse found the move/adaptation a lot harder than I did: he'd been away for many years (although had visited often). Coming "home" was not the seamless process he expected.

I'd already been an expat for quite a while by the time we got to Canada, so while I bitched & moaned (still do!) about lots of stuff (weather, have we mentioned the weather yet? Trying to understand the school system; workplace differences; distances to get anywhere; etc)I did know that it wouldn't be easy.

Have you already been to Canada yourself?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Please don't be defensive, we're simply trying to help as it seems you've either misunderstood or been given incorrect information.

Assuming they're Canadian citizens then yes, they do, but if you haven't already got passports for them then you need to apply for their proof of citizenship. This can take several months.

Get proof of citizenship (adults and minors)

Again, brilliant and nice and easy, but it certainly won't take 4 months as you've been told. You can check processing times here, note that it's 57 days for your wife to be approved as a sponsor, then a further 28 months for the second stage of the application. Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

Now 28 months is actually a lot longer than your case should take if your application is straightforward (i.e. no criminal history etc), it's an average and because the London visa office also processes applications from high fraud countries such as Pakistan, that skews the average processing time somewhat, as theirs take much longer. But going on the recent timeline thread (in the immi section of the forum), you can expect around 8-10 months for the second stage, so perhaps a year in total.

No, you won't, Express Entry is only for those applying under one of the economic classes (i.e. because of their occupation). Express Entry

I hope that your consultant is licensed by ICCRC?

We're really not trying to be negative, but I don't want you thinking that you'll get PR within 3 or 4 months of applying, because that's just not realistic, as you can see from the official info above. Even if you got an application together within a month or so (probably just about doable if you can get a medical appointment asap and get your police checks applied for quickly), then you're still looking at around 10 months from now before you get PR at the earliest.

I hope that helps a bit, do feel free to ask any questions about the visa side of things on the immi section of the forum, it's fairly simple (no need to use a consultant unless you particularly want to), and there's a great FAQ about spousal sponsorship in the Wiki which would be well worth a read - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki. There's also a very good spreadsheet of all those that have applied over the past couple of years and that will give you a really good idea of timelines (link in the FAQ). Schnookololy is our resident Spousal Sponsorship pro, so she'll no doubt help with any questions you put in the immi section of the forum about it, and she's incredibly knowledgeable.

HTH, good luck.
It's almost amusing how often threads like this get derailed into immigration issues. Christmas, you have addressed the visa issues clearly and objectively for the benefit of anyone else who reads this thread, in order that they don't also dwell under the misunderstanding that 4 months for a spousal sponsorship is the norm. The OP obviously chooses to respectfully disagree with you and Schnooks. I suppose that's their prerogative. No doubt, if and when they actually begin the process to acquire visas, they will learn that what others have told them is the truth. Until then, however, as long as no-one else is misled by their assumptions, there's no harm done.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's almost amusing how often threads like this get derailed into immigration issues. Christmas, you have addressed the visa issues clearly and objectively for the benefit of anyone else who reads this thread, in order that they don't also dwell under the misunderstanding that 4 months for a spousal sponsorship is the norm. The OP obviously chooses to respectfully disagree with you and Schnooks. I suppose that's their prerogative. No doubt, if and when they actually begin the process to acquire visas, they will learn that what others have told them is the truth. Until then, however, as long as no-one else is misled by their assumptions, there's no harm done.
We will soon see what is correct, I've now spoken to 3 consultants based within Canada and they are agreeing with you on what the website says, but all are saying 'in my case'......that 7 months tops for completion. But you are correct, I didn't ask for advice on visa time frames.....Ill leave that to the experts, I hope going forward whenever I ask a question I may get an answer to it rather than something I didn't ask....hope it's not the norm in Canada ????
Old Jul 16th 2015, 9:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Some people just don't want to be helped. Posts 34 and 35 have given you lots of info and psecifically about life in Canada, which is what you asked, and you've not even acknowledged either post.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 11:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidmac75
We will soon see what is correct, I've now spoken to 3 consultants based within Canada and they are agreeing with you on what the website says, but all are saying 'in my case'......that 7 months tops for completion. But you are correct, I didn't ask for advice on visa time frames.....Ill leave that to the experts, I hope going forward whenever I ask a question I may get an answer to it rather than something I didn't ask....hope it's not the norm in Canada ????
Christmas and Schnooks are both what I would consider experts in their field. They have offered "free" advice and guidance to literally hundreds of people on this forum in the time I've enjoyed posting. Why do you suppose what they have told you is untrue? Your Consultants are presumably either being paid for their opinions and information, or hoping that you will engage their services if and when you do decide to apply for visas, passports etc. No doubt with the appropriate passage of time you'll be able to acquire the visas you want for yourself and the kids. But to dismiss unbiased information as wrong and unhelpful is, frankly, a little short sighted. It is just as important to others reading this forum that the information posted is, as much as possible, factual, helpful and true.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:31 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Christmas and Schnooks are both what I would consider experts in their field. They have offered "free" advice and guidance to literally hundreds of people on this forum in the time I've enjoyed posting. Why do you suppose what they have told you is untrue? Your Consultants are presumably either being paid for their opinions and information, or hoping that you will engage their services if and when you do decide to apply for visas, passports etc. No doubt with the appropriate passage of time you'll be able to acquire the visas you want for yourself and the kids. But to dismiss unbiased information as wrong and unhelpful is, frankly, a little short sighted. It is just as important to others reading this forum that the information posted is, as much as possible, factual, helpful and true.
His wife on the NZ forum has a much pleasanter posting style.... I always find it a little odd when newbies are so antagonistic starting off, especially when they are trying to bipass doing all the groundwork that others have done before them.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tirytory
His wife on the NZ forum has a much pleasanter posting style.... I always find it a little odd when newbies are so antagonistic starting off, especially when they are trying to bipass doing all the groundwork that others have done before them.
Oh ...

Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is an example of why so many new members get upset and leave the forum.

You have all been doing it so long you don't even realise what you are doing wrong.

The OP did not start this thread for advice on immigration, he started it to determine if a specific area in Canada would be suitable before taking the big step ahead.

While some of you commented that the first step would be determining eligibility, surely the first step is to decide if you actually want to do it?

The immigration advice given was exceptional, and very well prepared, but was not what was requested at this time.

You should also remember that these first steps are confusing and pretty terrifying. It doesn't take much to push people over the edge.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:28 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys, new member here so looking for advice, me and my wife and 2 kids are looking to move from scotland to canada ASAP, my wife has canadian citizenship so the process seems straight forward. I am keen to learn of nice, safe family friendly areas that are affordable in the toronto area (Suburbs) my wifes family are originally from Hamilton but are all sadly long since passed away, I would be seeking work and i am a print finisher so if anyone knows a printing firm nearby Great!! any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. david.
no problem, i think ill leave this thread as its descended into nothing positive at all. I am only trying to gain feedback from ex pats who can give detailed information on life 'when' in Canada.
covered by most everyone else above, I'll make it real simple for you with just two small bits of ADVICE since personal preference of areas that folks live in is usually based on where they find work as well as what they can afford.

1. you & your wife come over for a recce, spend one month, look around Hamilton & the GTA, see for yourself

2. Start the job search process, google jobs as well as companies in those areas

The alternative for you is to get the visa, pick an area to live, one week settling in, then go find work.

Same advice I would give to anyone going to the UK from Canada
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
While some of you commented that the first step would be determining eligibility, surely the first step is to decide if you actually want to do it?
Chicken and egg isn't it?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave

You should also remember that these first steps are confusing and pretty terrifying. It doesn't take much to push people over the edge.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Chicken and egg isn't it?
if this was 50 or 60 years ago without all of the wealth of information accessible on the internet, forums, chat & ease of travel, you'd have loads of folks at the Australian, NZ & Canadian high commission immigration section to get signed up to on the first ship out of the UK. Most all with little money, no jobs, never a thought of what-if, where to go, what will happen when they got to the 'new found land' - folks that wanted out seemingly just got to it & did it.

All the BS & waffling these days, it makes me wonder why folks come on BE forever trying to find answers to every possible question ... should we, shouldn't we, what did you do, how do you find this that & the other, what location or school in a particular city is the best to be at.

Is it just me or do others see it the same, that wannabe immigrants these days want it all...100% safe & secure moving from the old country & setting up in the new one without any glitches, then when they get there they whinge - 'its not like back home, this, that & the other'

Maybe I emigrated at the wrong time & should have waited till till now being 40 years younger doing it today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.