Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ready...set.....where do i go ?

ready...set.....where do i go ?

Old Jul 17th 2015, 3:49 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ready...set.....where do i go ?

Originally Posted by not2old
if this was 50 or 60 years ago without all of the wealth of information accessible on the internet, forums, chat & ease of travel, you'd have loads of folks at the Australian, NZ & Canadian high commission immigration section to get signed up to on the first ship out of the UK. Most all with little money, no jobs, never a thought of what-if, where to go, what will happen when they got to the 'new found land' - folks that wanted out seemingly just got to it & did it.

All the BS & waffling these days, it makes me wonder why folks come on BE forever trying to find answers to every possible question ... should we, shouldn't we, what did you do, how do you find this that & the other, what location or school in a particular city is the best to be at.

Is it just me or do others see it the same, that wannabe immigrants these days want it all...100% safe & secure moving from the old country & setting up in the new one without any glitches, then when they get there they whinge - 'its not like back home, this, that & the other'

Maybe I emigrated at the wrong time & should have waited till till now being 40 years younger doing it today
The world is a different place these days. Also honestly if anyone wants support and advice when they are going through this life changing step then they shouldnt be afraid to ask. Thank goodness for places like these. And can I add - we are all different. What one person is comfortable with would freak out the next person.

Last edited by Howefamily; Jul 17th 2015 at 4:12 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:14 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
This thread is an example of why so many new members get upset and leave the forum.

You have all been doing it so long you don't even realise what you are doing wrong.

The OP did not start this thread for advice on immigration, he started it to determine if a specific area in Canada would be suitable before taking the big step ahead.

While some of you commented that the first step would be determining eligibility, surely the first step is to decide if you actually want to do it?

The immigration advice given was exceptional, and very well prepared, but was not what was requested at this time.

You should also remember that these first steps are confusing and pretty terrifying. It doesn't take much to push people over the edge.
There is something in what you say. There are also posters who don't necessarily approach things in the most pragmatic way. The OP cam on here to ask about areas and living conditions etc. It was subsequently pointed out that their immigration time line and expectations might be a bit optimistic. All they had to do was say "Thanks for the info on timescales, perhaps I need to look into this more. Maybe the information I've been given is not as accurate as I'd thought. So, what about schools in Hamilton?". Instead, they decided they knew better than two very knowledgeable old timers and got a bit on their high horse.

I just think the way to elicit information (of which there is loads on offer from well meaning people on here), is to maintain civility and treat what information you are given with the respect it usually deserves.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:28 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is an example of why so many new members get upset and leave the forum.

You have all been doing it so long you don't even realise what you are doing wrong.

The OP did not start this thread for advice on immigration, he started it to determine if a specific area in Canada would be suitable before taking the big step ahead.

While some of you commented that the first step would be determining eligibility, surely the first step is to decide if you actually want to do it?

The immigration advice given was exceptional, and very well prepared, but was not what was requested at this time.

You should also remember that these first steps are confusing and pretty terrifying. It doesn't take much to push people over the edge.

The OP repeatedly (and politely) said he was just looking for location advice.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:47 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

The OP repeatedly (and politely) said he was just looking for location advice.
This message has been deleted by christmasoompa. Reason: Pls don't speak to other forum members like that.

Hmmm. Not so politely perhaps?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:55 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
This message has been deleted by christmasoompa. Reason: Pls don't speak to other forum members like that.

Hmmm. Not so politely perhaps?
Just a bit of Glasweigen banter I suspect.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Shard
Just a bit of Glasweigen banter I suspect.
That'll be it...
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
if this was 50 or 60 years ago without all of the wealth of information accessible on the internet, forums, chat & ease of travel, you'd have loads of folks at the Australian, NZ & Canadian high commission immigration section to get signed up to on the first ship out of the UK. Most all with little money, no jobs, never a thought of what-if, where to go, what will happen when they got to the 'new found land' - folks that wanted out seemingly just got to it & did it.

All the BS & waffling these days, it makes me wonder why folks come on BE forever trying to find answers to every possible question ... should we, shouldn't we, what did you do, how do you find this that & the other, what location or school in a particular city is the best to be at.

Is it just me or do others see it the same, that wannabe immigrants these days want it all...100% safe & secure moving from the old country & setting up in the new one without any glitches, then when they get there they whinge - 'its not like back home, this, that & the other'

Maybe I emigrated at the wrong time & should have waited till till now being 40 years younger doing it today
Great post, I hadn't realised all that till you said it.

Where is their sense of adventure???? lol
Old Jul 17th 2015, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Where is their sense of adventure???? lol
My sense of adventure went AWOL sometime in the winter of '02/03 when both well & septic froze ...

I've been gently coaxing it back since ...
Old Jul 18th 2015, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to agree to disagree. The OP may not have specifically asked about visas, but he posted incorrect info about visas. I think it's important that forum members correct info that's wrong, not only for the sake of the OP in case he's planning things around it, but more importantly for anybody else reading.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We'll have to agree to disagree. The OP may not have specifically asked about visas, but he posted incorrect info about visas. I think it's important that forum members correct info that's wrong, not only for the sake of the OP in case he's planning things around it, but more importantly for anybody else reading.
^^^ This.

I've posted erroneous information before, & am grateful there are posters with the knowledge to correct it.

(In fact, this reminds me that I did so on another thread this week, & need to go acknowledge that.)

/end sanctimonious stuff.