Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

People lets stay focused.

The thread I started was regarding do Catholic schools in Canada need me to make extra payment. This thread from what I remember was regarding admission.

We all have differing views and opinions, and I personally believe that unless you are prepared to take on the faith, or are in it then you should look at other schools - and not deploy your children into something you don't agree with. Somehow we have started spiralling into an argument regarding religious beliefs. I don't feel that this is the place to do so as for every argument raised can be countered by another.

The main point is to try to give facts and ideas based on what the person posting the thread is looking for - so that we can help each other to get closer to our dream move. Religious topics unless taken on by mature people in a air of mutual respect is only going to drag the main point of the thread far from it.

I believe that plenty of answers have been given regards to the original query--may I suggest that if people want to bash each others beliefs that they go to somewhere else and not in threads that people are looking for advice.

God Bless

JET
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Before you opine get your facts straight:

There are historical, legal, social and rational cases for the finding of Cathollic Schools in Canada. For those who are non Catholic don't get your knickers in a twist since the moeny for them doesn't come out of your pockets, and since your kids won't be going there there is no reason to get upset.
A good reason to get upset would be a sincere belief in a religion other than Catholicism and the lack of a faith based school catering to that religion.

Another would be that, even if it were true that Catholic schools are funded only by Catholic tax payers, those tax payers are not paying their proper share of the cost of public schools. Everyone else pays for those schools, children or not.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Then since the catholic tax payers send their kids to catholic schools, and the non-catholic tax payers send their kids to public school there is still equity.

OMG - just thought - unless those Catholics are breeding like rabbits, then the small non-catholic famies with 1.7 kids are paying for the catholic families with 17 kids!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Multiple username alert.
In it's other post the user identifies him or herself as "used to be fedupwithwaiting". So, a name change, not a multiple.

Although no-one has bashed catholics and the post is way over the frothiest brink, the point about hypocrisy is not entirely unfounded IMHO.

Yes, I understand that if you are an atheist (like me) then why not cynically take the perceived best available (free) education for your kids? I condemn no-one for that choice, but it's not one I'd take.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
People lets stay focused.

The thread I started was regarding do Catholic schools in Canada need me to make extra payment. This thread from what I remember was regarding admission.

We all have differing views and opinions, and I personally believe that unless you are prepared to take on the faith, or are in it then you should look at other schools - and not deploy your children into something you don't agree with. Somehow we have started spiralling into an argument regarding religious beliefs. I don't feel that this is the place to do so as for every argument raised can be countered by another.

The main point is to try to give facts and ideas based on what the person posting the thread is looking for - so that we can help each other to get closer to our dream move. Religious topics unless taken on by mature people in a air of mutual respect is only going to drag the main point of the thread far from it.

I believe that plenty of answers have been given regards to the original query--may I suggest that if people want to bash each others beliefs that they go to somewhere else and not in threads that people are looking for advice.

God Bless

JET
Again, no one is knocking a specific faith, though some mock all faiths. The issue here is that, given that a minority of Ontario residents are illogically advantaged, whether or not it is justified for non-members of that minority to redress the balance by lying about something of no consequence to them. I say it is.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Then since the catholic tax payers send their kids to catholic schools, and the non-catholic tax payers send their kids to public school there is still equity.
No, there's no equality between the Catholic and, for example, the Jew. The latter pays for the public school and the faith school.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Catholic schools got a historical advantage because most of the population were catholic, and their communities existed before the land they occupied became a territory or a province.

Other faith based communites can, and indeed often do, start their own schools and get public funding: the bottom line is that they comply with the provincial curriculum.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - just thought - unless those Catholics are breeding like rabbits, then the small non-catholic famies with 1.7 kids are paying for the catholic families with 17 kids!!!!
Nonsense. What's so special about catholics? And why do you stereotype them as having 17 kids?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:48 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
No, there's no equality between the Catholic and, for example, the Jew. The latter pays for the public school and the faith school.

... and the non-parent, who pays for all the breeders.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Other faith based communites can, and indeed often do, start their own schools and get public funding: the bottom line is that they comply with the provincial curriculum.
What publicly funded faith based school boards, besides Catholic, exist in Ontario?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In it's other post the user identifies him or herself as "used to be fedupwithwaiting". So, a name change, not a multiple.
Isn't the other one still live, though? If it is, the poster should be BANNED.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nonsense. What's so special about catholics? And why do you stereotype them as having 17 kids?
I think he's using irony.

Don't stereotypes tend to have some basis in fact, even if it's maybe a bit out of date?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Born again atheist

Isn't the other one still live, though? If it is, the poster should be BANNED.
Hmm. It's seems it is still alive. Do you want to report it? I can't be bothered.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:01 pm
Born again atheist

I think he's using irony.

Don't stereotypes tend to have some basis in fact, even if it's maybe a bit out of date?
Oh, irony? Banning is too good for him then.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Come on, it's just a technical infraction, like claiming to be a Muslim, let it go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.