Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

I know that 1 parent needs to be a catholic for the child to attend a Catholic school. Well my Daughter is, but neither myself of her indoors are, so how easy is it to forge a baptism certificate, or what ever they are called?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:00 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I know that 1 parent needs to be a catholic for the child to attend a Catholic school. Well my Daughter is, but neither myself of her indoors are, so how easy is it to forge a baptism certificate, or what ever they are called?
How does that work then, your child a different religion? If she is old enough to have chosen to be a Catholic then perhaps the school would be happy to take her?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:13 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what the rules are for Catholic schools in Canada are but in the UK, they have a priority order for admission.
1.baptised catholics
2.non-baptised catholics
3.baptised protestants
4. non baptised protestants
and they a have a quota for each category so in the uk it would depend whether they reached their quota or not (I was told this when we were applying for my son) and testimonials from the local priest/pastor will help.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Would your daughter's baptism certificate be enough for entry to Catholic school?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
I don't know what the rules are for Catholic schools in Canada are but in the UK, they have a priority order for admission.
1.baptised catholics
2.non-baptised catholics
3.baptised protestants
and they a have a quota for each category so in the uk it would depend whether they reached their quota or not (I was told this when we were applying for my son) and testimonials from the local priest/pastor will help.
In the UK, the governing bodies of faith schools (including Catholic) set their own admission criteria. The criteria you describe is fairly typical, but they will vary. In virtually all faith schools references from the minister are required.

I believe that the admission criteria in Canada also varies, if not between school, between Provinces.

I would recommend contacting the schools you want to apply to in order to fully understand their admission criteria.

I would strongly advise against forging any certificates as if this came to light in the future and you couldn't prove your Baptismal status your daughter could be asked to leave the school.

Some schools actually ask for proof of regular and longstanding worship rather than proof of Baptism in order to demonstrate your religion so you should really check out what is needed before making your plans.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by terese677
1.baptised catholics
2.non-baptised catholics
3.baptised protestants
I know about the UK, my daughter is in no. 1, but that is not enough for Canada, one parent needs to be a Catholic too!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

My parents had us all rebaptised Catholic specifically so that we could attend a Catholic school - I think we were about 4, 5 and 6 at the time.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus
How does that work then, your child a different religion? If she is old enough to have chosen to be a Catholic then perhaps the school would be happy to take her?
Not really, the choice was made purely to get her in to the best school in the area.

I am an atheist with no conscience.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, the choice was made purely to get her in to the best school in the area.

I am an atheist with no conscience.
What makes you an atheist, as I understand Atheism to be an unbeliever in organised religion. If my belief of your stance is correct, then you are being hypocritical in going against your beliefs just to get your daughter into a better school. Was your daughter if she wanted to go to a Catholic school, or was she just told this is where she's going? What were her religious views before you did this?

You're entitled to raise your child as you choose within reason, but I'd love to see how you're going to answer her when she comes home with questions on Catholicism.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
What makes you an atheist, as I understand Atheism to be an unbeliever in organised religion. If my belief of your stance is correct, then you are being hypocritical in going against your beliefs just to get your daughter into a better school. Was your daughter if she wanted to go to a Catholic school, or was she just told this is where she's going? What were her religious views before you did this?

You're entitled to raise your child as you choose within reason, but I'd love to see how you're going to answer her when she comes home with questions on Catholicism.
Atheists don't believe in God, or gods, or deities. They have no need for a god.

I am sure that they believe that organised religion exists, are there is plenty of evidence that it does, churches, temples, mosques, synagogues.

I agree that it's hypocrisy to declare yourself to be an atheist and then to send your child to a religious school, but Wearsider has said as much.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

I firmly believe religion should have no part in education whatsoever, but that's a different argument
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
I firmly believe religion should have no part in education whatsoever, but that's a different argument
What she said.

However - every parent has to work within patently unfair systems. So I don't presume to judge wearsider for wanting the best school for his daughter within the idiotic UK rules. It's easy to have high ideals, but why should our children pay the price for them?

One of the many reasons I prefer the Canadian education system.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I attended a Catholic school in Canada between the ages of 5-10. We then moved to England. The school I went to in England was a CofE school, and I resented having religion shoved down my throat. I appreciated RE, more from the viewpoint of studying DIFFERENT religions, but I hated being forced to pray, sing hymns, attend the Carol service etc. (I decided around 11 that religion was a cult and vehemently objected to many aspects of the church, especially catholicism - my own personal viewpoints).

My husband I are 100% against organised religion - especially when people try to shove it down our throats. People can believe whatever they want, just don't try to foist beliefs on other people.

Having said that...if the best school in our area was a religious one (and we had kids), we would do what we needed to get our kid into the best school. However, as far as the religious aspect is concerned, the kid would be encouraged to make up their own mind. We would teach them that some people believe in God, and some people don't. It doesn't make anyone wrong or right, just different.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I attended a Catholic school in Canada between the ages of 5-10. We then moved to England. The school I went to in England was a CofE school, and I resented having religion shoved down my throat. I appreciated RE, more from the viewpoint of studying DIFFERENT religions, but I hated being forced to pray, sing hymns, attend the Carol service etc. (I decided around 11 that religion was a cult and vehemently objected to many aspects of the church, especially catholicism - my own personal viewpoints).

My husband I are 100% against organised religion - especially when people try to shove it down our throats. People can believe whatever they want, just don't try to foist beliefs on other people.

Having said that...if the best school in our area was a religious one (and we had kids), we would do what we needed to get our kid into the best school. However, as far as the religious aspect is concerned, the kid would be encouraged to make up their own mind. We would teach them that some people believe in God, and some people don't. It doesn't make anyone wrong or right, just different.
I kind of get where you are coming from on this one and I agree that everyone should be able to make an informed choice.

The problem is that where a child grows up in a non-religious household, where do they get the experience and information to make that informed choice.

For many children today, school is their only experience of religion as they don't routinely go to Church or Sunday School. My children went to a C of E school in the UK and I do miss that. Overall, I am satisfied with the education over here, but if there was a Catholic School near to where we live, would I consider it? Yes, I would.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:46 am
Account Closed

The Catholic schools in the town where I went to school werent the best by far. Like everything it depends on where you are and when you are there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.