Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Originally Posted by JET747
I don't for an instant want to question any of you, as we are all free to live as we choose (within constraints of the law) - however what I find hard to understand is that people who don't believe in God or religion send their child to a faith school. I know that faith schools have better grades at present certainly in our area and this attracts a lot of non-faith children. However, when the rest of the children are going through the faith education and mass etc. how does this affect the child not taking part--and what do you say to them when they ask or start asking questions regarding religion that they are going through in a faith school. ???
It's not a problem so long as the bulk of the students don't take the religion seriously.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 8:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I know about the UK, my daughter is in no. 1, but that is not enough for Canada, one parent needs to be a Catholic too!
Funny, my daughters best friend at school is from a staunchly baptist family. Neither parent is catholic, and there is AFAIK no baptismal certificate.

I think you will find that these things are very much decided on a school board by school board basis here.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

BC catholic schools are fee paying. We don't have the same system as Ontario. I'm not sure why, people have explained to me but i can't remember the deets.

There is a Catholic school near us and it's definitely fee paying, priority to catholic children from within the parish first, then catholic children from outside the parish, then non-catholics. I understand it's very hard to get into because of that.

But honestly, the public schools here are excellent so I wouldn't worry. unless you are catholic, of course.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not a problem so long as the bulk of the students don't take the religion seriously.
I find a lot of Canadians take religion seriously. There's a whole lot of praying going on.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK it's just Ontario that has dual tax-paid systems, (Ok quadruple ones counting two languages). A hangover from the 1863 (? declines to google) BNA Act. Even Quebec and Newfoundland have abandoned this nonsense.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I know that 1 parent needs to be a catholic for the child to attend a Catholic school. Well my Daughter is, but neither myself of her indoors are, so how easy is it to forge a baptism certificate, or what ever they are called?
It will be good practise for her Resume; the odd embellishment here and there certainly opens a lot of doors for you!

Honesty is a great virtue, but only when used in moderation.
The underlying message I get here is that lying to get what you want is acceptable. Hopefully you didn't practice this when you filled out your CIC application forms.

I personally don't agree with dishonesty, but at least most people have the common sense not to brag about it if they do it.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
The underlying message I get here is that lying to get what you want is acceptable. Hopefully you didn't practice this when you filled out your CIC application forms.

I personally don't agree with dishonesty, but at least most people have the common sense not to brag about it if they do it.
Does the Pope lie in the woods?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:07 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Does the Pope lie in the woods?
not sure, but he does wear tights
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:16 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JET747
I respect your view. However I assume that you are in no way of a faith background, or a weak one ? Maybe I am wrong to assume-I aplogise and dont mean to offend.

However, we have faith schools because as Catholics, Muslims etc we want and believe that faith is important as the education that they study. When it comes to Easter, kids will be off, but my kids will be in school Holy Week and totally understand the significance of what we as Cathoilcs are celebrating--not the easter bunny or eggs.

I don't for an instant want to question any of you, as we are all free to live as we choose (within constraints of the law) - however what I find hard to understand is that people who don't believe in God or religion send their child to a faith school. I know that faith schools have better grades at present certainly in our area and this attracts a lot of non-faith children. However, when the rest of the children are going through the faith education and mass etc. how does this affect the child not taking part--and what do you say to them when they ask or start asking questions regarding religion that they are going through in a faith school. ???

God Bless and my Prayers

JET
please don't diss the easter bunny

one mans' fable is another mans' belief
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:48 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
AFAIK it's just Ontario that has dual tax-paid systems, (Ok quadruple ones counting two languages). A hangover from the 1863 (? declines to google) BNA Act. Even Quebec and Newfoundland have abandoned this nonsense.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...14#post7173414
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

They must be quite desperate in our town as my kids go to a Catholic school and I had no trouble getting them in, in fact they couldnt get us to sign them up fast enough. None of us are Catholics or will we ever be.

Was this my first choice, no. I wanted them to stay in their public school, the one they had been in for the last two years. But since we moved out to an acreage 12 miles away the only choice we had for them to get bus transport was to move either to the really bad inner city public school or the small Catholic school which our new neighbours kids went to.

It has worked out ok and the kids are doing well, at the end of the day they will make up their own minds about religion. I just make sure they get to hear both sides of the story and aren't completely brainwashed by it.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
No I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth........well, except for the bit about my qualifications, work experience and age, but I doubt it matters.

Do you think they will be waiting for me at immigration, " There he is, thats that Wearsider fella, stop him before he corrupts the whole of Canada. He claimed to be the love child of Pope Benedict XVI on that britishexpats.com world wide web site, but I have my doubts. The Pope still has a full head of hair but this fella is bald as a coot!"
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

So to summarize:

Lie, forge documents, undergo religious rituals just in order to get into Catholic schools: but god forbid those religious kooks try to force religion down my kids throats.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know that such certificates existed. I was raised as a Catholic, baptised, took first communion and was then confirmed. I don't remember having received a certificate for any of them, but I do have a few dodgy photos of an angelic boy looking virtuous and kissing the Bishop's ring (the on his hand).

What does such a certificate look like?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Most Baptism Certficates are kept with the local parish priest in the church that you were Baptised in. He has a register with it in there. But these days --in the case of my 2 children they also give you a certficate.

Hope this helps

JET

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.