Reload this Page >

Random Question - kids and sports

Random Question - kids and sports

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

NeilEB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Random Question - kids and sports

Hi all,

Very early days for my research into a potential move, but one thing is a slight concern (although my wife tells me I'm being silly and worrying about nothing).

We have two kids - my daughter is 2 and my son is nearly 7 - although he is very adaptable, one thing he loves is sports - however he loves British sports (particularly soccer, but also rugby and cricket)

He also does swimming and Jujitsu, but my concern is this - will he find it difficult to fit in at school? He's always tended to use sport as a bonding mechanism, and I'm worried that he'll feel a bit left out if the other kids are not into soccer, and instead play Football & Softball.

Anyone else been through this? I know soccer is popular with kids in the US, but has it made it's way north of the border?
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:44 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random Question - kids and sports

He will need a pair of skates and a hockey stick to fit in.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:50 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilEB
Hi all,

Very early days for my research into a potential move, but one thing is a slight concern (although my wife tells me I'm being silly and worrying about nothing).

We have two kids - my daughter is 2 and my son is nearly 7 - although he is very adaptable, one thing he loves is sports - however he loves British sports (particularly soccer, but also rugby and cricket)

He also does swimming and Jujitsu, but my concern is this - will he find it difficult to fit in at school? He's always tended to use sport as a bonding mechanism, and I'm worried that he'll feel a bit left out if the other kids are not into soccer, and instead play Football & Softball.

Anyone else been through this? I know soccer is popular with kids in the US, but has it made it's way north of the border?
So this post resonated with me, not least as I have a 9yr old boy and four yr old girl...we moved last year when he was 8..... He played rugby rather than football back home although loved the game back in Wales too. I think he's found it hard to settle in his class because there is a difference here, back home in school all they would do is play football and he played rugby outside of school hrs. But no one is his class appears bothered by football/soccer..different sports rule and so there hasn't been that common bonding over football.

We have found a soccer team and he is one of the better players as kids aren't drawn to it in our area and rugby is played at high school not at junior level. I would say the best answer to this and one we weren't really able to pursue ourselves is choose your area carefully. There are junior rugby leagues around and if you go to a more urban area soccer will be more widespread than where we live (two hrs North of Toronto). I think it's not something to dismiss out of hand...my son was a popular boy in his class and his sporting activities and he just doesn't seem to be settling as well as I hoped he would. It's upsetting to watch...

My son also swims...and the swimming club has been great but draws from all schools which is great but not useful for "bonding" at a local level.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
He will need a pair of skates and a hockey stick to fit in.
This

In Calgary, virtually every community has a basketball court that doubles up as an ice rink in the winter. These belong to the community and are the equivalent of the local football field in England

In the winter they use Zambonis to prepare the ice every other day or so and the locals ensure that the surface is kept playable by watering it regularly. Those that wish to ice skate can; those that wish to play hockey can too.

All one needs are skates, sticks and whatever protection one wishes to use.

In the summer there will be all manner of soccer, baseball, soft ball/slo-pitch, rugby, athletics, etc, that one could imagine. The facilities are usually maintained far better than you are used to in the UK and, quite frankly, I would be amazed if an appropriate sport cannot be found.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 3rd 2014 at 4:43 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So this post resonated with me, not least as I have a 9yr old boy and four yr old girl...we moved last year when he was 8..... He played rugby rather than football back home although loved the game back in Wales too. I think he's found it hard to settle in his class because there is a difference here, back home in school all they would do is play football and he played rugby outside of school hrs. But no one is his class appears bothered by football/soccer..different sports rule and so there hasn't been that common bonding over football.

We have found a soccer team and he is one of the better players as kids aren't drawn to it in our area and rugby is played at high school not at junior level. I would say the best answer to this and one we weren't really able to pursue ourselves is choose your area carefully. There are junior rugby leagues around and if you go to a more urban area soccer will be more widespread than where we live (two hrs North of Toronto). I think it's not something to dismiss out of hand...my son was a popular boy in his class and his sporting activities and he just doesn't seem to be settling as well as I hoped he would. It's upsetting to watch...

My son also swims...and the swimming club has been great but draws from all schools which is great but not useful for "bonding" at a local level.
Does he play hockey at all (street or ice)? If he's sporty, that really is the route in Canada. He'll likely be at a disadvantage because of skating skills, but there's no reason he couldn't join a lower league and enjoy the game.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:06 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Calgary and play rugby during the summer which is a a welcome changed when compared to the winter season back home. Whilst it is not quiet as popular there are still 3 mens leagues, junior leagues and womans league as well as a sevens tournament.

Winter there is skiing/snowboarding and of course hockey.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

NeilEB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all,

We'll probably be looking at the east coast - Toronto or Ottawa if that makes a difference.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:22 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

We'll probably be looking at the east coast - Toronto or Ottawa if that makes a difference.
neither of which are on the east coast
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

I'm in Ottawa and I play in old timers soccer. My son is 14 and plays competitive soccer. It is quite an obsession with him. There are indoor facilities for soccer and he plays outdoor from April/May until October.

At his high school there was a senior and junior soccer team that participated in an autumn league.

You will find that soccer even in Ottawa or other major cities is a sport that is followed at the school age level by kids who are immigrants or whose parents are (my son was born in canada but follows the premier league and la liga with an intense following). Hockey and baseball don't tend to be followed or played by immigrants or children of immigrants as much.

I don't think his interest in soccer will hinder him in a major city. Cricket really has little following by kids here other than those from the indian diaspora.

Areas with little in the way of immigration tend to be the hockey/baseball/football (CFL/NFL variety) hotbeds.

Good luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

I live towards the West Coast and Soccer is pretty popular here in Coquitlam. We have a soccer club at school dot here are a lot of local reams for kids. There is also a local rugby club which starts with junior teams. Don't dismiss the West Coast!!!

Last edited by Tootlepootle; Dec 3rd 2014 at 4:45 pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:51 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Hockey and baseball don't tend to be followed or played by immigrants or children of immigrants as much.
Not from my perspective. When my parents came to Canada and I was shipped off to the new school to make friends, they all played baseball or soccer in the summer and played hockey or skied in the winter. I didn't take long to adapt to the sports and looking back, my Dad made it even easier as he dove right in volunteering and learning the sports along with me.

Kids are pretty resilient and if your kid is good at one sport he'll be good at others - he just may need some adult encouragement.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Does he play hockey at all (street or ice)? If he's sporty, that really is the route in Canada. He'll likely be at a disadvantage because of skating skills, but there's no reason he couldn't join a lower league and enjoy the game.
Skating skills are a tad lacking it's true... But a hockey stick is on his Christmas list this year and we will most definitely get him one. We have a skating/ice hockey rink in town and in a local park so hopefully this will help him. He also skis etc and has arranged to do the skiing elective with a few boys this year from his class.

He's getting there but school still feels full of high and lows for him at the moment. That's when the guilt factor sets in
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:17 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

I think your wife is right, and you are worrying about a non-problem. If your son is not even 7 yet, he can easily pick up any sport available. He probably likes the British sports best because that's all he's ever seen!

We both grew up loving football (soccer), as does the rest of the World it seems. Now our kids (10 and 5) play hockey in Winter, soccer in Summer and basketball all year. I have to say that I much prefer watching them play hockey than football. It's a crazy fast game, and makes football look a bit slow, especially with kids...

Just as a side note: soccer is the most widely played sport among kids in Canada, i.e. more kids sign up for football than any other sport. Everybody would think that would be hockey, but football is a lot cheaper and easier to pick up, hence the popularity.

Short answer: your son will be FINE. And you will be too, just let yourself be happy if he decides he wants to play hockey rather than cricket...

Last edited by Jo&Alex; Dec 3rd 2014 at 5:24 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Hockey and baseball don't tend to be followed or played by immigrants or children of immigrants as much.

This is completely untrue.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

There are soccer leagues in every region of Canada, he won't have any problem. And if he is as adaptable as you say he will likely come to like new sports that he is exposed to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.