Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

rain rain and more rain, in Ontario, allegedly

rain rain and more rain, in Ontario, allegedly

Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future
Default Re: rain rain and more rain, in Ontario, allegedly

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
This was not near Brookstreet Hotel? Saw the bike training there at lunchtime!
Yep it was - I work in the tower oppsite. They were nearly done when we had a downpour - didn't last lon but they got soaked anyway!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

was bloody windy last night, but it was mostly a-raining not in Oakville. We had a heavy shower early evening, but other than that just a really oppressive heat and humidity.

The wind was enough for me to get up in the middle of the night and move the car, though - the tree by the side of our driveway was making alarming creaking and cracking noises. It was still standing this morning - I almost wish it wasn't as it's not very pretty and in a really inconvenient place, but one's not supposed to cut down trees on a whim, is one?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
but one's not supposed to cut down trees on a whim, is one?
No, but can one make the argument that said tree is now weakened and unsafe?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Last evening we drove from Yonge/Shepherd out to Port Credit and then home up highway 10. It rained very heavily all the way, visibility was limited and aquaplanning a constant problem. The Honda doesn't have much grip at the best of times and few of the roads are set up to have the water drain off them. We got home around nine, it was still raining very hard and, trudging to the barn to deal with the chickens, I sank ankle deep in the mud. This morning one of the horses was lame, she probably slipped and fell on the wet ground.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We had hardly any rain at all, but apparently it was very windy and kept him indoors awake most of the night. ( There are advantages to not hearing!)

Trees, the tree opposite our house shed a branch in a downpour the other week. It was rotten and didnt take much to come down. I saw it fall. Aborists have been called to deal with the rest and the other trees. Take care when you cut a tree down as removing a tree completely can cause problems with the house foundations. Heave I believe its called. The water previously taken up by the tree stays put and pushes stuff around.