Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rafter Six Ranch, Exshaw, AB - anyone been trail riding/camped there?

Rafter Six Ranch, Exshaw, AB - anyone been trail riding/camped there?

Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rafter Six Ranch, Exshaw, AB - anyone been trail riding/camped there?

Just wondering if it is a good place to go riding - horse welfare, safety etc.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:25 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafter Six Ranch, Exshaw, AB - anyone been trail riding/camped there?

Originally Posted by sinope
It's one of if not the best within an hr\2hr of Calgary
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rafter Six Ranch, Exshaw, AB - anyone been trail riding/camped there?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
It's one of if not the best within an hr\2hr of Calgary
That's really good to hear, thanks Butch (arn't you up phenomenally early btw?). We're camping there the day we get to Calgary and I'm booked in for a 1.5hr trail ride the following morning. I'm more concerned that my daughter is put on a very steady pony (she is 3) for her half hour ride, but I was impressed that they insist on hats for under 16's.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

That's really good to hear, thanks Butch (arn't you up phenomenally early btw?). We're camping there the day we get to Calgary and I'm booked in for a 1.5hr trail ride the following morning. I'm more concerned that my daughter is put on a very steady pony (she is 3) for her half hour ride, but I was impressed that they insist on hats for under 16's.
I would not go ANYWHERE that didnt insist on hard hats for under 16s.
You should see some spectacular scenery in 1.5hrs from Rafter 6, We just did 1.5hr down in waterton (first time the visitors had been on horseback) saw bald eagles BUT NO BEAR OR MOOSE
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry don't know anything about the place, I am on the other side of Canada.
Just wondering, are you a rider already?

I would hope that at three years old your daughter would not only have a steady pony and well fitting hard hat, but someone competant to lead her and make sure she is completely safe and doesn't get too tired. 30 mins is quite a while for such a young child.

Penny
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I would not go ANYWHERE that didnt insist on hard hats for under 16s.
You should see some spectacular scenery in 1.5hrs from Rafter 6, We just did 1.5hr down in waterton (first time the visitors had been on horseback) saw bald eagles BUT NO BEAR OR MOOSE
I'm actually hoping I don't see any bear on the hack - don't really want to get tanked off with on my first ride in Canada.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Sorry don't know anything about the place, I am on the other side of Canada.
Just wondering, are you a rider already?

I would hope that at three years old your daughter would not only have a steady pony and well fitting hard hat, but someone competant to lead her and make sure she is completely safe and doesn't get too tired. 30 mins is quite a while for such a young child.

Penny
My daughter rides already and has been as soon as she could sit up (we had a basket saddle for her). I'm considering taking her own hat, but not sure how bashed about it might get, even though the suitcase is hard. I'm not a nutcase who would put her on anything I didn't think was safe, her wellbeing comes first.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:52 pm
Banned

I'm actually hoping I don't see any bear on the hack - don't really want to get tanked off with on my first ride in Canada.
OH DEAR
One does not hack on a western horse

And if by tanked off you mean the horse bolting? NOT a chance. One of my friends rides regularly all around Kananaskis and is convinced the same bear strolls along with them (ok not right along aside but well within viewing distance) when they do a particular trail. The horses just ignore it!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter rides already and has been as soon as she could sit up (we had a basket saddle for her). I'm considering taking her own hat, but not sure how bashed about it might get, even though the suitcase is hard. I'm not a nutcase who would put her on anything I didn't think was safe, her wellbeing comes first.
Hi

I didn't want to sound pushy. You obviously ride already and know whats what, but I just worried that if you weren't a rider you may not know exactly what to look out for.

I hope you both have a great ride there.

Penny
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

OH DEAR
One does not hack on a western horse

And if by tanked off you mean the horse bolting? NOT a chance. One of my friends rides regularly all around Kananaskis and is convinced the same bear strolls along with them (ok not right along aside but well within viewing distance) when they do a particular trail. The horses just ignore it!
I noticed the word hack too.

You will have to learn a whole new horsey vocabulary here.
I get blank looks when I talk about hard feed, rising trot (its posting trot here) and riding in the school (its arena here).
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:15 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I had some friends go and am also going my self in August. My friend went in June and they found it cold. Especially the hands. I plan to pack a pair of gloves in my bag. Call me a wimp, I don't care, I like to be warm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
I had some friends go and am also going my self in August. My friend went in June and they found it cold. Especially the hands. I plan to pack a pair of gloves in my bag. Call me a wimp, I don't care, I like to be warm.
Isn't it usual to wear gloves when riding a horse?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Isn't it usual to wear gloves when riding a horse?
Not for me
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for me
My OH has gloves, like someone might have worn to drive a sports car in the sixties, she wears them when competing and for the hunt. I have a pair of yellow leather work gloves that I wear as I find it gives me more grip on wet reins, being work gloves I think they ideally provide function without form; I don't want to look as if I'm trying.

Here, woman on horse, in gloves:

http://www.lightthetorch.net/wp-cont...hillips-nc.jpg
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
My OH has gloves, like someone might have worn to drive a sports car in the sixties, she wears them when competing and for the hunt. I have a pair of yellow leather work gloves that I wear as I find it gives me more grip on wet reins, being work gloves I think they ideally provide function without form; I don't want to look as if I'm trying.

Here, woman on horse, in gloves:

http://www.lightthetorch.net/wp-cont...hillips-nc.jpg
I would wear gloves for 'ranch work' but not just to ride the trail. That said this being Alberta, perhaps I should start to carry some in case temps do drop below -35

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.