British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Racist Employers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/racist-employers-856992/)

Nuckynoo Apr 24th 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Racist Employers

Your the one stating that I'm racist ?

Nuckynoo Apr 24th 2015 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by worklifebalance (Post 11627703)
My wife is Chinese/Canadian and was struggling to get any interest in the first 6 months since we arrived - unless it was a Chinese owned company. The last 6 months she has used my family name and she is getting plenty of enquiries which are generating interviews. Possibly it is racist but we also emphasised on the resume that English language skills were excellent and really highlighted English speaking experience and locations. As a quick way for an employer to bin 900 of a 1000 resumes is to assume those with foreign names cannot speak English because there are a significant minority of that group who can't speak good English.

Thank you !!

At last some one understands where I'm coming from. :thumbsup:

rivingtonpike Apr 24th 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627705)

I'm saying that you're the one using his name and creed (not race - look it up), as the reason he hasn't been offered a job. That directly infers prejudice and/or racism. What many on here are suggesting is that it has a lot more to do with his and your immigration status than what shape, colour, creed or name he has.

Nuckynoo Apr 24th 2015 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11627709)
I'm saying that you're the one using his name and creed (not race - look it up), as the reason he hasn't been offered a job. That directly infers prejudice and/or racism. What many on here are suggesting is that it has a lot more to do with his and your immigration status than what shape, colour, creed or name he has.

Please leave this thread your annoying

Tirytory Apr 24th 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627698)
I'm married to the guy plonker !!!

Read my original message dur

Wow how rude are you? I suggest you read posts carefully and then you would understand what RP meant.

rivingtonpike Apr 24th 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627713)

I'm a plonker apparently. Is that some sort of ground nut?

Zoe Bell Apr 24th 2015 4:37 pm

And you are borderline illiterate.

I really wonder what it is you are trying to achieve here. I ask again. Do you really want to move to a country that is giving so so many reasons to complain before you've even moved here?

Maybe Canada isn't for you

Nuckynoo Apr 24th 2015 4:39 pm

Don't know why on earth I bother when this thread has been bombarded with intimidating comments and accusations against me!

Every other reply has been patronising

I shall not be using this site again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuckynoo Apr 24th 2015 4:40 pm

Zoe Bell you have no right to say that

rivingtonpike Apr 24th 2015 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627721)
Don't know why on earth I bother when this thread has been bombarded with intimidating comments and accusations against me!

Have you thought of moving to Ireland? I hear they're all moving to Canada so opportunities might be bountiful!

rivingtonpike Apr 24th 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627723)

I think you'll find she has.
Regards
"A Plonker"

Tirytory Apr 24th 2015 4:46 pm

Ah but Zoe does have a point though... If you are going to insult someone (Riv) at least make sure you spell it correctly and throw some punctuation in for good measure.

Anyhow see ya:rolleyes:

Zoe Bell Apr 24th 2015 4:53 pm

Well you see my dear. Unlike you, I can back my premise up with several examples:

Whereas you have the sum total of your own experience , which as many have pointed out has very little to do with race and more to do with immigration status and the say so of one (possibly mythical) Government employee, whom I'm betting would not go on public record to say what you have claimed.

rivingtonpike Apr 24th 2015 4:59 pm

This has been fun but I have to do some work for a while but don't worry Nucky, I'll be back in a while if you need any more tips on immigration and fitting in. We're all here to help.

Former Lancastrian Apr 24th 2015 5:05 pm

OP you titled the thread racist employers based on someone at an Alberta employment office saying that employers are racist when choosing employers.
Does racism exist in Canada yes it does much like it occurs in many other countries and against all races including white people.
Far too often in my job the race card is played and people use it as a weapon where in a lot of cases racism isn't being displayed.
Do some people get screened out of jobs because of their name or ethnic background then yes it will happen but proving it Is another matter. Yes there have been cases when the same person used a different name and got interviews/jobs but those cases are few.
What has been pointed out that at the moment until your OH gets accepted under the EE stream and is issued with documents for PR and will then legally be entitled to work in Canada then its highly unlikely he will be offered a job.
Since CIC cracked down on temporary foreign workers being allowed to work in Canada the vast majority of employers wont hire anyone who is not legally entitled to work in Canada and has the necessary documentation to do so.
That is not racism.

not2old Apr 24th 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11627721)

whoa, wait a minute...

Yes some jabs at you, some really good comments & suggestions, as well as advice from folks that have travelled the road you're on.

Please stick around & keep us abreast of how your OH is making out with his application as well as the job search.

Has he considered making an application for assessment leading to taking the 'Red Seal' challenge exam to get trade certified in the province that you are considering making home?

Tradesecrets - Interprovincial Red Seal

Tradesecrets - Red Seal Trades in Alberta

Juggernaut1064 Apr 24th 2015 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11627760)
OP you titled the thread racist employers based on someone at an Alberta employment office saying that employers are racist when choosing employers.
Does racism exist in Canada yes it does much like it occurs in many other countries and against all races including white people.
Far too often in my job the race card is played and people use it as a weapon where in a lot of cases racism isn't being displayed.
Do some people get screened out of jobs because of their name or ethnic background then yes it will happen but proving it Is another matter. Yes there have been cases when the same person used a different name and got interviews/jobs but those cases are few.
What has been pointed out that at the moment until your OH gets accepted under the EE stream and is issued with documents for PR and will then legally be entitled to work in Canada then its highly unlikely he will be offered a job.
Since CIC cracked down on temporary foreign workers being allowed to work in Canada the vast majority of employers wont hire anyone who is not legally entitled to work in Canada and has the necessary documentation to do so.
That is not racism.

:goodpost:

ExKiwilass Apr 24th 2015 5:34 pm

oh stop ganging up on her you lot.

bats Apr 24th 2015 5:36 pm

I think it's as naive to say that there is no racism in Canada as it is to think that racism is prevalent.

Undoubtedly there will be some who won't interview based on names, ethnic origin etc and perhaps the OPs experience is affecting her outlook and her response to the replies on here. There is definitely an increase in fear of and dislike of Muslims, we've seen it on these boards. In my opinion it was a reasonable question to ask after what she has been told by the person in Alberta

I think those of you who commented on the OP's interacy should think again. There are many intelligent capable people who can't spell well.

To the OP, simmer down, there are good people on here who can and will help with good advice.

Let's all play nicely.

bats Apr 24th 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11627793)

Exactlyj

Zoe Bell Apr 24th 2015 5:45 pm

at the risk of sounding like a petulant child , they started it when they started throwing personal insults at people who didn't agree with their premise that the lack of employment must equal racism.

Personally i still stand by my original question , which incidentally has never actually been answered.

If you are finding it so difficult to find a job and you've been told its due to your race, why on earth would you consider making that move? We all know how even with a fantastic job and gorgeous home and fantastic people around you it is still tough to emigrate.
Why would you set yourself up for that kind of heartache?

caretaker Apr 24th 2015 5:53 pm

Good on you Bats and ExKiwilass! Nuckymoo when someone gets rude don't be too quick to hit back; sometimes it's due to miscommunication and even if it isn't there's no advantage in name calling. I'm 60 years old and I know a lot of people, have a lot of friends and not a single one of them is perfect. That's just the way it is.

humanist Apr 24th 2015 7:32 pm

Coincidentally we just had to let someone go whose name was also Mohammed. He was a nice guy, but he said he had a work permit and it turns out he didn't, so we had to show him the door. The fault lies with our HR department ultimately.

It was quite annoying considering we'd paid for him to go on training courses and suchlike. There's no wonder there's a lot of scepticism around newly arrived immigrants.

worklifebalance Apr 24th 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11627793)

Here here.

I wonder how many other people on this thread had problems when they arrived in Canada? All of you I expect.

The OP has only said what she feels in frustration - I expect other posters did the same in the same/similar situation except maybe the internet didn't exist then so you couldn't make the same mistake. Trouble with the internet once said, its there forever and no one lets you take it back.

DandNHill Apr 25th 2015 12:48 am

I think he actually summed up nicely what everybody is saying...

It is not racism or xenophobia which is holding your husband back. It is rather the fact that there is only a very small percentage of employers who will consider going through the tedious and expensive process of recruiting a worker who doesn't have the right to work in Canada.

The only ever comment I have heard that was in any way derogatory was actually aimed at people who didn't speak fluent French or English. Not the colour of people's skin or name...

DandNHill Apr 25th 2015 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11627747)
Well you see my dear. Unlike you, I can back my premise up with several examples:

Whereas you have the sum total of your own experience , which as many have pointed out has very little to do with race and more to do with immigration status and the say so of one (possibly mythical) Government employee, whom I'm betting would not go on public record to say what you have claimed.

Ooops, I misread your post and came to the conclusion for a few seconds that you were married to Rivingtonpike, then remembered you're married to Ben... oooppsss

scilly Apr 25th 2015 3:28 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 11628281)
I think he actually summed up nicely what everybody is saying...

It is not racism or xenophobia which is holding your husband back. It is rather the fact that there is only a very small percentage of employers who will consider going through the tedious and expensive process of recruiting a worker who doesn't have the right to work in Canada.

The only comment ever I have heard that was in any way derogatory was actually aimed at people who didn't speak fluent French or English. Not the colour of people's skin or name...

Actually the only really derogatory comments that I have heard in 47 years in Canada have been in up-country BC .......... you ought to hear the red necks up there going after the local First Nations bands :ohmy:

The Chinese were treated like dirt for much of last century. The Japanese were treated as if 3rd and 4th generation Canadian-Japanese were traitors during WW2, and a lot of the rhetoric from politicians at that time was truly racist

There was a great deal of fear involved in that

There was still a little bit of looking askance at mixed marriages when we first arrived here ............ very few Japanese or Chinese had married out of their communities until the 1960s

BUT I have not heard much racism against groups other than the First Nations ............... and would agree with the rest that the problem is that he does not yet have the right to work here.

sharkus Apr 25th 2015 12:16 pm

I know I'm likely talking to the wall, as the OP likely won't read this (you, horrible, evil people ;) :D )

If I am reading the OP's first post correctly, ONE person at an Alberta employment office make the comments about alleged racism in the hiring process. OP, is this correct?

If so then it was just that one, single person that made this comment. Yes, yes, one could construe that as being one person speaking on behalf of the whole employment office, however, unless others chimed in, it is likely just a single persons own opinion on the matter, backed up by who know what facts or fiction.

I do think that not being able to actually work in Canada does, especially after the various recent changes, does make it a lot harder to get an employer to even consider you for a position. Is the reason for a lack of job offers down to racism? I don't think any of us can really say for sure in this case.

On the point of changing one's name. This does not need to be some kind of deed poll name change. As long as on official documents you use your full name, I don't see a problem. I work with quite a few people whose name we addressed them by wasn't their legal name. Perhaps their name is the anglicized version of their current name, I don't know.

DrealDeel Apr 25th 2015 12:37 pm

Zoe Bell: If you are finding it so difficult to find a job and you've been told its due to your race, why on earth would you consider making that move? We all know how even with a fantastic job and gorgeous home and fantastic people around you it is still tough to emigrate.
Why would you set yourself up for that kind of heartache?

It is precisely to make that sort of judgement in a considered way that the OP may have asked the question about whether others were in the same situation. It seems clear that the OP has not made up her mind yet, but is pondering whether this experience could be due to racism.

As others have kindly (and not so kindly) pointed out, the answer is that there are probably more commonplace issues limiting his employability.

Thanks to those who recognised the 'ganging up against the outsider' mentality and called it out. I'm looking at you Bats et al!

As for 'playing the race card', if you read the actual original post and not just the title, that seems an unfair allegation.

If you think are being discriminated against, you should consider the variables and try and work out what your 'handicap' is in a particular environment. That is part of a logical process of assessment. I agree that the more common reasons are lack of PR, lack of Canadian work experience etc and I would suggest it is more helpful to concentrate on stuff you can fix.

I'm off to start a thread about the religious family looking for a private school who thinks Canadians may be a bit racist to attract some genuine opprobrium away from this thread!

dgagitw Apr 25th 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11626942)
He is waiting for a job offer first , he has had TEFl Test, credentials assesses by both Provinces AIT , he has just applied for Express Entry.

To be honest I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR , we have been trying our best to get a job offer first then apply for PR.

Without a job offer, he likely won't have the points to get PR. Without PR, any potential employer will need to get him an LMIA. The process to get an LMIA is non-trivial - e.g. it requires at least a month of advertising the job in various places and a plausible demonstration of why they can't find someone with PR or citizenship to do the role - and most companies will end up using a law firm which will cost them around $5000. Unless he has some very, very specific and rare skills for the particular location of the job, there's no good reason for an employer to go through this hassle. So, before you start accusing Canadians of being racist, you might want to look at the facts of what's involved from an employers perspective.

dgagitw Apr 25th 2015 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11627031)
So the fact that he can't LEGALLY work in Canada at the moment just might have something to do with him not receiving job offers.

Apparently not.

dishwashing Apr 25th 2015 3:25 pm

Stop it, will you?

She asked because she heard it from someone and she took it here for feedback.

I think many here could have explained another perspective without jumping down her throat. And echoing ad infinitum the "Stay away then" comment. Good grief, can't you remember the times when you were still unsure of how things "are"? Give her a break and I hope you guys don't repeat that behavior on others.

I think she responded because the thread was moving into bully territory.

As to the OP or anyone else reading, I thought about this a bit more this morning: what I do think is:

1. Without PR/right to work, unless you are have some extraordinary skills, good luck or a great Uncle, chances are you are automatically disqualified from the job hiring process. I do think it has nothing to do with any other factor here.

2. Next basis is the normal employability aspects: experience (relative to everyone else), culture, perception. I have seen some Canadian employers like to hire ... uhhh non expats and some who recognize talent regardless - it depends on the person, I would not say - at least where I hang around - race is an issue.

3. If there are segments who whether consciously or unconsciously discriminate, then adopt measures - like the suggestion ExKiwiLass put forward - amend the names etc. Sometimes, life sucks. The good ? news is it probably affects everyone in some way, this shade.

And yet -

Sometimes life sucks, so please try not to pass the bitterness, heaven knows this world needs more humanity and it starts with each of you (me) (us).

dishwashing Apr 25th 2015 3:32 pm

I'm surprised how many people here think that racism is a NON issue.

I think that most people are actually subconsciously discriminating against people nearly all the time - clothes, status, color, religion, class, job, smell, looks... and then it bounces off your own values system etc. i.e. I think it is human nature in general that people are assessing another at some level

I do think however, that when you carry the self consciousness around that you may be discriminated against because of (looks, weight, religion, sex, race, color, height, clothes etc) then it can work into a *perceived* self fulfilling prophecy - so best to steer clear of that and try to position yourself forward as best as possible with your credentials/character/learnings/cultural awareness of Canada

Bla bla blahhhhh over.

Nuckynoo Apr 25th 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for your response however I did NOT accuse Canadians of being racist ! Please read the thread properly, and to be honest I am tired of sacastic comments. Some people on here a really nice and have good comments and advice to share others are just nit picking and trying to score points on pulling me down for spelling or grammar mistakes.

dishwashing Apr 25th 2015 3:36 pm

Hey Nuckynoo

Don't worry: these people are actually quite decent, I think you may have just nudged a few people the wrong way as they think you are implying that.

So regardless, clear the air, and move on: forumers here are usually very helpful. Cheers and good luck with your husband's job hunt, I know it can be very stressful looking for a job, but again without PR/eligibility to work it is NOW very difficult to get sponsorship

(Caveat: I don't know enough about your profession so if it is one where employers are willing to fork out for LMIA processes, keep going on that. Also check to see if your "resume" (as poster above said) is up to scratch and his job interviewing skills are good - that's just baseline stuff)

Nuckynoo Apr 25th 2015 3:41 pm

Thank you : )

Pollyana Apr 25th 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo (Post 11628641)
Thanks for your response however I did NOT accuse Canadians of being racist ! Please read the thread properly, and to be honest I am tired of sacastic comments. Some people on here a really nice and have good comments and advice to share others are just nit picking and trying to score points on pulling me down for spelling or grammar mistakes.

Maybe your thread title should have been a question rather than a statement then?

dishwashing Apr 25th 2015 3:43 pm

Maybe she just didn't gramatically position it

No racism, but maybe there is such a thing as overkill .. ?

Nuckynoo Apr 25th 2015 3:45 pm

Isn't this site for raising questions ?

Nuckynoo Apr 25th 2015 4:01 pm

I am Mohammed the husband.

Canadian employment office replied to us with this email please read it

Hi Mohammed,

You are not too old to work as a plumber. Retirement age in Canada is 65 and most some people work until they're 70 :0)

I've been in this business for many, many years and to be very honest with you, I'm very sad to say that unfortunately some people are racist. It's a terrible thing and I have on several occasions confronted the employers and questioned them on this...so it's just a matter of finding the right employer. The Federal Skilled Trade Class is not a point system so your age will not be a consideration.

I still think the Express Entry is a very good option for you and worth a try.....you will have to have your credentials assessed through ECA and a qualifying agency. And, you will have to have a language test, but we will advise you on all of that.

Let us know if we can help, and in the meantime I will keep looking for an employer.

Thank you for your patience...

I know one thing about Canada ( its a lovely country with lovely people )
My heart is on Canada every time I look up the country, I feel very happy about the country.

I moved to the UK in 1996, I have faced racism, but it never gave me a hard time, as my personality and my hard work changed peoples opinion about me and people began to respect me for who I am

Thanks ppl