Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

rabies vaccine-dogs

rabies vaccine-dogs

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice
Default rabies vaccine-dogs

I am trying to decide whether to have my dog vaccinated against rabies. We are going to Alberta where I have read that the prevelance & risk of rabies is very low. I have also read about potential side effects of aggression etc.
To bring our dog over we do not have to have him vaccinated, so I want to try & do the right thing for him, without putting him at unnecessary risk

1. Is it compulsory once in Alberta to vaccinate dogs against rabbies, if so question answered.
2. what have others done?
3. have people who have had their dog vaccinated experienced any problems afterwards
thanks for your help
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:32 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rabies vaccine-dogs

You may want to read this link

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/dogse.shtml

We are going the pet passport route just in case we have to come back to the UK.

We have only just had the rabies jab for Harvey and are waiting untill the 12th for his blood test, he is fine.

I have started a blog entry on the progress for people on BE, your more than welcome to read it.

By the way we are off to Edmonton

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Sep 2nd 2008 at 8:38 am. Reason: changed, wrong info.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:03 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Anita100
I am trying to decide whether to have my dog vaccinated against rabies. We are going to Alberta where I have read that the prevelance & risk of rabies is very low. I have also read about potential side effects of aggression etc.
To bring our dog over we do not have to have him vaccinated, so I want to try & do the right thing for him, without putting him at unnecessary risk

1. Is it compulsory once in Alberta to vaccinate dogs against rabbies, if so question answered.
3. have people who have had their dog vaccinated experienced any problems afterwards
thanks for your help
I dont think its compulsory to have them vaccinated from a "Rabies free country" I know for sure if you want to return to the UK at anytime you have to have them vaccinated and also bloodtested and they cannot return within 6 months of the test. Both my Dogs have been passported which means that I can travel too and from Canada and Uk with them whenever i like if needed. ( after the 6 month post bloodtest wait)

Both dogs are fine and neither is showing any signs of aggression (was 6 monhs ago they were vaccinated) or any other adverse signs from the vaccine

With all the best intentions in the world you just have no idea what will happen, if anything goes wrong and you need to come back to the Uk quickly - your pets will have to stay in Canada for 6 months before they can return

I say get it done

Last edited by Tanah; Sep 2nd 2008 at 9:08 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Anita100

thanks for your help
We lived in the US for 35 years and all my dogs and cats over the years have been vaccinated against rabies. We never ever had any problems. I am going to Alberta and our dog and cat have already had their shots just in case we go across to the US for a holiday with the family.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:35 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

we got ours done - again, just to cover all bases in case of and major family changes.

no problem with either dog at all - no change in personality.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Alberta are you going? Google the municipality dog laws for your intended town and see if rabies vaccine is required. Some places you have to register your dog and pay a fee - higher fees for non-neutered pets usually.

I brought my unvaccinated dog from the UK and eventually had him done after a few months in Winnipeg. It was a city bylaw I think - but that's not what made me do it, I wanted the necessary paperwork to take him across the border on weekends to the US.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Where in Alberta are you going? Google the municipality dog laws for your intended town and see if rabies vaccine is required. Some places you have to register your dog and pay a fee - higher fees for non-neutered pets usually.

I brought my unvaccinated dog from the UK and eventually had him done after a few months in Winnipeg. It was a city bylaw I think - but that's not what made me do it, I wanted the necessary paperwork to take him across the border on weekends to the US.
As per Biiiiink's suggestion, a few links for those heading out this (in and around Calgary) way. If doesn't answer the question then maybe leads people to correct part of municipality to get an answer...

http://www.okotoks.ca/town/municipal...inance/dog.asp

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+H...erest/Dogs.htm

http://www.mdfoothills.com/DogOwners.htm

http://www.rockyview.ca/View.aspx?GU...b-64933faba669

Hope this helps.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a lot of raccoons near us and decided was better to be safe than sorry although the dogs we fetched from the UK we had done for pet passport we did the newer 2 just after we rescued them here in NS. None of them have had any problems or worries. The oldest was 11 when she had hers and did fine
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs are vaccinated for everything. I don't think there is any law. I did it to protect my dogs. Mind you there are people who don't believe in vaccinating for anything, they have some theory about it but I forget what it is. You can probably google it.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

It's not compulsory to have your dog vaccinated against Rabies in Calgary. If you you rescue a dog from Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services they only suggest you have it done .
Sam
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:14 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

good lordy! so glad that i've read this thread as i'm just about to have my dog rabbies jab done, but i had no idea that dogs 'may' get aggresive because of it.....i know none of the previous posters say that they have had any problems with thier dogs but our vet certainly hasn't warned us of any potential side-effects!

does anyone have any advice? and we're moving to vancouver, so does anyone know of by-laws there? we don't need to get our dog done at all, so i understand but we have all the usual jabs done usually.......
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
good lordy! so glad that i've read this thread as i'm just about to have my dog rabbies jab done, but i had no idea that dogs 'may' get aggresive because of it.....i know none of the previous posters say that they have had any problems with thier dogs but our vet certainly hasn't warned us of any potential side-effects!

does anyone have any advice? and we're moving to vancouver, so does anyone know of by-laws there? we don't need to get our dog done at all, so i understand but we have all the usual jabs done usually.......
Our vet says there are no risks with the vaccine. However all vaccines carry some risk & I like to have as much info. as possible before I decide. However I think that the risk of developing aggression is small & everyone seems to say their dog is o.k. There are those that are pro vaccines and those against them.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 3 dogs and we were told by the company we used (Ladyhaye), that we HAD to have them vaccinated, along with a whole load of other vets stuff, all vaccinations up to date etc...

In fact the customs vet bloke at Halifax Airport (point of entry), this was the ONLY thing he looked for.

Pet passports not needed unless you go back to the UK, and up to you if their jabs were up to date, but the rabies shot, everyone insisted we had this done and it was the only thing the official checked.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:00 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Being so close to the US Border you WILL be heading south, you will PROBABLY take the dog with you, IF you DONT have 'him' vaccinated for rabies (and the customs orifice finds out) you WILL NOT be bringing said dog home
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

As I said earlier I have always had my animals vaccinated (for almost 40 years now!) and I have never had a problem nor was I ever told about the risk of them becoming aggressive. If truth be told there is risk with ANY vaccine or ANY drug. I think that must be in extremely rare cases and you are worrying needlessly. It is as safe as a vaccine can be. Also as someone else said, being so close to the border you will probably want go across at some point. Even though there is probably a low incidence of rabies in Vancouver, there are raccoons and skunks who can be carriers and there is always a risk of a pet being bitten, however small.