Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick question about buying over the border

Quick question about buying over the border

Old Aug 17th 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice
Default Quick question about buying over the border

Hi all

I have googled and searched this but I don't think I'm thinking up the right search terms as I'm getting nowhere.
We have visitors coming next month and we are all taking a trip to Seattle for two days. They want to buy a load of stuff and I know that, as tax residents, myself and my husband have restrictions on the value of goods we bring back to Canada. However my question is that, as UK residents and only visitors to Canada, do the same restrictions apply to our visitors?
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about buying over the border

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5082-eng.html

Visitors to Canada

What you can bring with you

As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as "personal baggage". Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras and personal computers. It also includes vehicles, private boats and aircraft.

You must declare all goods when you arrive at the first CBSA port of entry. Border services officers do conduct examinations of goods being imported or exported to verify declarations. If you declare goods when you arrive and take them back with you when you leave, you will not have to pay any duty or taxes. These goods cannot be:

- used by a resident of Canada;
- used on behalf of a business based in Canada;
- be given as a gift to a Canadian resident; or
- disposed of or left in Canada.

The border services officer may ask you to leave a security deposit for your goods, which will be refunded to you when you export the goods from Canada. Should this occur, the officer will issue a Form E29B (PDF, 507 KB), Temporary Admission Permit, retain a copy and give you one for your records. When you leave Canada, present your goods and your copy of Form E29B to the officer who will give you a receipt copy of the form and your security deposit will be refunded by mail.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:15 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Dont forget there is a UK tax free limit for them if they take the goods back with them.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

cllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nicecllb2 is just really nice

Thanks, MarylandNed,. However that only seems to cover first entry into Canada? What our visitors will be doing is arriving by air in canada and doing a two day trip over the border into USA.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cllb2
Thanks, MarylandNed,. However that only seems to cover first entry into Canada? What our visitors will be doing is arriving by air in canada and doing a two day trip over the border into USA.
For visitors, it cover all entries into Canada. You must declare goods at the first CBSA port of entry on each entry into Canada.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 19th 2013 at 1:04 am.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

What they buy would probably be covered under your allowance as a Canadian resident (if you have the receipts in hand), which after 2 days (48 hours) is $800 per person and even a certain amount of alcohol - link. So unless you're planning back on bringing back more than $1600 worth of stuff I wouldn't worry too much.