Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any helpful tips for new comers to canada.

any helpful tips for new comers to canada.

Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

bristolian2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any helpful tips for new comers to canada.

Hello. Ive been offered a truck driving job in new brunswik. Can anyone give me some advice on banking/credit in canada. Also any general information that may be helpful to know before i arrive. Thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of
Default Re: any helpful tips for new comers to canada.

Originally Posted by bristolian2
Hello. Ive been offered a truck driving job in new brunswik. Can anyone give me some advice on banking/credit in canada. Also any general information that may be helpful to know before i arrive. Thanks.

Well, Canada has banks. Credit cards too.
I predict the rules will be 95% similar to the UK.

Congrats on the job offer in New Brunswick.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

There's loads of info in the Wiki on life in Canada, including a whole section on banking etc.

Just checking, but you're aware that as a truck driver in NB your spouse (if you have one) won't be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit and you have no route to PR for at least the first year?

Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I wasnt aware of the pr takeing so long. Is that just in nb? The company is doing lmo and work permit for me. Does not having a pr stop me getting a bank account or anything else?
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I wasnt aware of the pr takeing so long. Is that just in nb? The company is doing lmo and work permit for me. Does not having a pr stop me getting a bank account or anything else?
No
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No you can still open bank accounts etc etc. PR times vary between different streams. Employer will be doing the LMO application. Once positive LMO is issued then CBSA/CIC will issue work permit depending on if you apply to an overseas office or at a Port of Entry and paying the $150 work permit fee.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's NB. Some provinces would allow the spouse/partner of a trucker to get an open work permit, and for them to apply for PR straight away, but NB isn't one if them.

So you'd have to work for a year before being able to apply, and then PR would take another year or two to obtain.

HTH.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

banks

once you open an account and are gainfully employed your paycheque will be deposited or it may be direct deposit. If you can, ask for direct deposit if your employer has this facility and once you are established ask to open a line of credit since credit cards are obscenely expensive and are to be avoided

On a line of credit, the interest rate is much less and it is good to have even if you don't use it
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of posters on BE who are truck drivers in NB...Woodstock, I think. I am sure they would be happy to help. There is also the 'Working Abroad by Profession" sub section in the index, that has a Truckers forum, which might prove helpful too.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ill have a look in the sub section. Woodstock isnt far from where the company is based.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Open an account initially with one of the big banks such as the RBC welcome to Canada. This gives you free banking services for 12 months. You also get a 2% cash back MasterCard. This was an unsecured card and great to start building your credit.

I've been using it for just over 12 months now and recently had no problems getting the Amazon.car Visa which came with quite a reasonable credit limit.

Yes as mike said credit cards can be expensive. But once established your can negotiate lower rate. My wife's RBC MasterCard is 6%

Just use the card for the benefits and pay the balance in full each month.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

banks

they have this nasty habit of freezing your funds for a few days when you make deposits

they will say since they don't know you from a hole in the wall. at least from the outset, so they protect themselves by waiting till the deposit clears

that is why direct deposit is ideal

it is all nonsense but do check with your new bank if they temporarily hold funds
Old Aug 18th 2013, 6:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Who is Bristolian1?

I was actually refused bank accounts before PR came through. But that was a few years ago and it seems different now.

But even then others on this forum succeeded. I didn't push it at the time as it wasn't an inconvenience as we did everything through my Canadian wife's account.

But plenty BEers do have differing experiences with things even now.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ill have a look in the sub section. Woodstock isnt far from where the company is based.
hi

Im in woodstock and my husband is a trucker if you want to email/pm me any questions i will help all i can

Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:17 am
Just Joined

I dont know who bristolian 1 is but when i tried the user name bristolian it was already in use. Going by your user name theres a few bristolians on here.