Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question for the realtors.

Question for the realtors.

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the realtors.

No I meant do a proper job of removing the walls but a quick fix when you move.
Originally Posted by Souvenir
a) because it's a supporting wall.

b) because I would get my arse sued off when the roof caved in.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:53 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's about bedrooms.

Our late 80's single family house has three bedrooms (plus 1 I created in the basement and which is now legal). It's not big. Our bedroom is a reasonable double with an 8' wide built-in the separates it from a roughly 10x10 that we don't use. The third is a small room I use as my office.

'Er indoors is starting to make noises about joining our bedroom to the 10x10. Her view is that it would create a very large and lovely bedroom. She may be right. My view is that it will lose us a lot of storage space and cost a fortune (there's a supporting wall involved). My main concern regards resale value; I don't intend living here forever. What is the conventional wisdom when it comes to reducing the number of bedrooms? I've always believed it to be a complete no-no.
As a realtor, most families want 3 bedrooms up and one in the basement for guests/teenager. This is great for a 2 or 3 children family. Most families also now need somewhere for the home computer, so with out seeing your house do you have a den/office for the computer or seperate dining room where it can be put if necessary. There are lots of 1 bedroom bungalows with large master bedrooms, but these usually have 3 bedrooms in the basement and again only appeal to people who have older children.

As for resale value, you may not lose value as it will depend on the quality of the build, location, etc. What you will lose is a wider selection of people even wanting to look at it (as already stated on a earlier response).

Before you make your decision, look at the whole picture rather than a larger bedroom.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
As a realtor, most families want 3 bedrooms up and one in the basement for guests/teenager. This is great for a 2 or 3 children family. Most families also now need somewhere for the home computer, so with out seeing your house do you have a den/office for the computer or seperate dining room where it can be put if necessary. There are lots of 1 bedroom bungalows with large master bedrooms, but these usually have 3 bedrooms in the basement and again only appeal to people who have older children.

As for resale value, you may not lose value as it will depend on the quality of the build, location, etc. What you will lose is a wider selection of people even wanting to look at it (as already stated on a earlier response).

Before you make your decision, look at the whole picture rather than a larger bedroom.
Thanks. You are supporting my argument. An estate agent in Battersea once had a fit when I suggested that I knock a sitting room and bedroom together to make a bigger sitting room. Two-bedroom conversion flats were a rarity. One of Souvette's colleagues bought a starter semi near here. Instead of going for two bedrooms and a bathroom, he opted for one big bedroom and a big bathroom. He's now trying to sell it. He can't.