Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about winter colds in Canada

Question about winter colds in Canada

Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about winter colds in Canada

I find we all have fewer colds BUT when I get one it's horrible, the 2nd year I had the flu jab and didn't get any colds or anything. The 1st and 3rd year I had really bad stay in bed colds - last year I even lost my voice and needed antibiotics and stuff. So far so good this year but there is still time (she says furiousley touching wood).
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

One of my kids was Miss Snotty on and off all last winter. Delightful. The other daughter didn't really get anything, neither did I - and hubby had one 'decent' cold. So, on balance, it's a bit less than the UK ! Time will tell.

So far it's been a lot colder this winter already, and no bugs yet (fingers well and truly crossed now).
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m

So far it's been a lot colder this winter already, and no bugs yet.
You can have mine if you want.

I'm really tired of my ribs hurting.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I don't believe that the cold weather in Canada's winters really does anything to kill cold and flu bugs. If that were the case there would be no need for cold and flu medicines in this country and believe me the stores are full of those.

If you go to places were there are lots of people or ride public transit in rush hours you are going to increase your chances of catching something.
Makes sense.

Of course, when we're waiting for the bus we're all wrapped up against the cold weather and maybe we stay wrapped up on the bus....whe needs Hazmat suits.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You can have mine if you want.

I'm really tired of my ribs hurting.
Er - no - you're OK Steve - thanks for the offer anyway. Is there anyone else you can pass them on to though, to save the ribs ?!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it spreads quicker in the UK because there's so many people crammed into such a small space....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I think all those winter in Canada must have hardened me, it seems everyone I know had a cold or flu over Christmas and so far I've been fine
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:21 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I must be the ODD one as my kids have picked everything up since arriving :curse::curse:

Little one was off daycare before xmas being sick, which she kindly passed on to the next kid...
the just before new year my next one got strep throat, followed by the rash that kindly goes with it and just gone back to school yesterday to get a call to collect him as hes unwell....................

just brought him home and he looks and is acting fine, but they said he was sick

i have just informed the kids that if they bring anything else home, i am off as all i seem to be doing is looking after them at the moment :curse:

Back in the uk they was all healthy and never got anything, the school has just said it will take them time to adjust to the climate.........
Good job i am not working yet
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had colds here, including bronchitis, but now I come to think of it maybe it is fewer.

If you sneeze or cough Canadians do treat you as if you have the plague though...

A lot was learned from SARS and people tend to cough into their elbow or arm rather than their hands. I see hand sanitizers used frequently, so maybe this stops the bugs spreading as much.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I think it spreads quicker in the UK because there's so many people crammed into such a small space....
Exactly. I used to get lots of them in the UK and haven't had a single one since moving here in Nov 2005, but I think that's because we're in a much more sparsely populated area.

However, even when lots of the kids at my sons' school have colds, it's very rare that my boys catch them (whereas colds just seemed more virulent in the UK and if any kid had a cold, the whole class would come down with it!) Can't really explain that one...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

If I get a snotty nose its just a cold, Hubby gets a snotty nose and its always Flu, he cant move or do anything and everybody has to feel sorry for him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was the same in England too LOL
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moondevil
I must be the ODD one as my kids have picked everything up since arriving :curse::curse:

Little one was off daycare before xmas being sick, which she kindly passed on to the next kid...
the just before new year my next one got strep throat, followed by the rash that kindly goes with it and just gone back to school yesterday to get a call to collect him as hes unwell....................

just brought him home and he looks and is acting fine, but they said he was sick

i have just informed the kids that if they bring anything else home, i am off as all i seem to be doing is looking after them at the moment :curse:

Back in the uk they was all healthy and never got anything, the school has just said it will take them time to adjust to the climate.........
Good job i am not working yet
My two were like that for the first term or so moondevil - lord only knows what would have happened if I had been working!

I also think the schools seem more inclined to send them home when they even mention an ache or feeling a bit unwell (which I think daughter number caught onto pretty quick ). It got the stage where I took my digital thermometer down to the school, armed with Calpol, and basically didn't take her home on one occasion.

But - if the schools send them home before they are really unwell, possibly that prevents everyone getting it. I don't know. That's the theory, anyway.