Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about vehicle hire.

Question about vehicle hire.

Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about vehicle hire.

I have just been informed by an RV hire site that people coming in on international flights can't pick up hire vehicles until the day after the flight has landed. Something to do with insurance. Is this true of all vehicles or just RV hire or just this particular company? Any info gratefully recieved.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Very_Optimistic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about vehicle hire.

Don't know about RVs but we have had no problem picking up cars straight off a flight from a few companies. Sure someone will be along shortly to advise on RVs
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Some more info on this. The company is called Motorhome Bookers and the exact wording is as follows:

'For insurance reasons the rental companies of Canada and the US require all guests arriving with an international flight to pick up their rental vehicles at least one day after arrival.'

Seems a bit of a barmy rule if it is true, and I'm sure that, during my wanderings around the various RV hire sites, I've seen some that offer to pick clients up from the airport and take them to the hire depot.

Last edited by sinope; Feb 19th 2008 at 10:01 am.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

I've found the same as the OP with regards car hire - we drive away as soon as we're through landing, we've used several different hire companies. No waiting. But again, I've not used an RV.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We had this in our contract when we hired an RV in Ontario. We tried to do the right thing and booked a hotel for one night near the airport.

We then had a flight delay and only landed an hour or two before we picked up our RV. No one asked us about our flight and no-one checks for delays.

Do they ask for flight numbers at booking? If not, would they know when you arrived.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We had this in our contract when we hired an RV in Ontario. We tried to do the right thing and booked a hotel for one night near the airport.

We then had a flight delay and only landed an hour or two before we picked up our RV. No one asked us about our flight and no-one checks for delays.

Do they ask for flight numbers at booking? If not, would they know when you arrived.
Well, that's what I was thinking. I haven't done a complete booking yet - still comparing quotes, so I don't know if flight no's are required. Who did you book through and were you happy with the service?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We used these people http://www.ideamerge.com/motorhomes/..._van_hire.html

We were very happy with the vehicle and talking to others we met it was a good price.

The only down side is that it is quite a drive from the airport and we had to wait a bit for the transfer (about a hour late). Tranfsers were free though so we just had a coffee whilst we waited..
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:24 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
They may not ask or find out, when you pick up the RV. However if you have been made you aware of the condition and have an agreement as such, it is the responsibility of the renter to comply with the conditions. If you have an accident and it comes out that you did not comply with these conditions, you may have invalidated your insurance and be on the hook for the claim.

Is it worth the risk?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
They may not ask or find out, when you pick up the RV. However if you have been made you aware of the condition and have an agreement as such, it is the responsibility of the renter to comply with the conditions. If you have an accident and it comes out that you did not comply with these conditions, you may have invalidated your insurance and be on the hook for the claim.

Is it worth the risk?
Good point
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

RVs are big beasts and I guess it will take a little while to get used to driving them. I can quite understand why an insurance company would not want someone driving one for the first time who might not have slept in the last 24 hours who's head is woozy from a long-haul flight.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:06 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
I have just been informed by an RV hire site that people coming in on international flights can't pick up hire vehicles until the day after the flight has landed. Something to do with insurance. Is this true of all vehicles or just RV hire or just this particular company? Any info gratefully recieved.
I have no RV experience, but I have rented regular cars the arrival day with no issues. I can't imagine what the issue might be.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat

Is it worth the risk?
I wouldn't mess with insurance companies. If there was a crash and a claim to be made I am sure they would want to see your flight details to try and wiggle out of paying
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I think, so check on this, if you rent in BC you have to pay an additional tax if it is within XX hours of arriving in the country e.g. 24 hours.

Not sure on precise details or if this applies to all of Canada
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replies so far. Out of interest I thought you'd all like to know (and for future reference for others) that Adventure Touring don't necessary stipulate the 1 day before picking up thing. I asked the lovely Darlene who works for them for clarification and this is the reply:

'I read the terms and conditions and did not see that with this company they request that, but yes I do have a few suppliers that it is mandatory as the flights are so long they want the client to rest a night first, but you should be fine, I would let the depot know what time your flight is due to arrive, once you do you just call the depot's number which you would have and they would come to the airport to collect you and yours.'

I also agree with all of the comments about keeping to the rules just in case of an accident.