Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quebec election

Quebec election

Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quebec election

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's the other way around, I think he's saying that businesses outside Quebec won't deal in French. We know that they do, we've only to look at the nearest consumer product to see that, so I think the idea here is to diminish the value of speaking French to people who don't live in Quebec.
I'm glad one of us understood what he wrote. I found it a bit contorted.

The Quebec companies I deal with mostly have English as the default setting.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

The only industry I know well in Canada is insurance. Insurance companies do avoid Canadian markets with legislation they consider onerous, for example, I know of a company that will decline business in NB after year end because new rules outlaw the use of credit rating as a criterion. Similarly few companies bother with NF because it has few people and lots of laws. Quebec however is a market every company wants because it has a lot of insurable risks, doing business in French isn't an issue because the companies already do business in French, German, Spanish, Russian, every language used in markets with lots of people.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Try telling that to the new Premier of Quebec. You could try to tell her something similar in relation to religious symbols too, not that it would get you anywhere

I am puzzled by the fact that, it would appear, it is OK to act in a overtly bigoted fashion if you are a politician in Quebec, but political suicide to do so elsewhere in Canada, and not a mention of such made by the "enlightened" posters on this board.
Bigoted or not lily-livered?

The QC view seems to be "integrate or f**k off". The official standpoint elsewhere may be lamer.

FWIW, the nastiest examples of blatant racism I have come across in conversation over the last 16 years have been in BC, AB and ON.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:47 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by jimf
Putting French and English on consumer products throughout Canada is a different issue. The size of the market and additional cost is obviously a combination that businesses will tolerate. The cost is passed onto the customer anyway.
You don't need to label in both languages in all provinces. If you don't intend to sell in QC or NB, you can stick to English.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It was clear. You will see what you wish to see though.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to label in both languages in all provinces. If you don't intend to sell in QC or NB, you can stick to English.
Labelling's un hareng rouge anyway. You don't have to label products in Spanish to sell them in America but companies do; I don't think it likely that, if the law was changed, there'd be a great rush to put products with unilingual labels on the shelves.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

6(2) says something rather different.....

http://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...3.html#docCont
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bigoted or not lily-livered?

The QC view seems to be "integrate or f**k off". The official standpoint elsewhere may be lamer.

FWIW, the nastiest examples of blatant racism I have come across in conversation over the last 16 years have been in BC, AB and ON.
The conversations, as they were reported here, over the overt religious symbols appeared to be bigoted to me but I agree that, if one wanted to justify it, one could do so on the basis fo "integrate or f**k off".

On the racism issue, from what I have experienced from my travels in BC and AB, racism is just beneath the surface of a huge number of Canadians. I haven't seen massive amount of blatant racism but, then again, I am not a different race or a minority so I may be missing all the clues.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:05 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The conversations, as they were reported here, over the overt religious symbols appeared to be bigoted to me but I agree that, if one wanted to justify it, one could do so on the basis fo "integrate or f**k off".

On the racism issue, from what I have experienced from my travels in BC and AB, racism is just beneath the surface of a huge number of Canadians. I haven't seen massive amount of blatant racism but, then again, I am not a different race or a minority so I may be missing all the clues.
From what I hear from First Nation cousins it's almost a passive aggressive type most of the time.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:20 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I find the bile spewed against the province on this forum kind of interesting.

I wonder whether the people making sweeping and derogatory comments have traveled much in Quebec or have friends there? Or have just read some newspapers.

For most people coming from Europe, I'd argue that the political spectrum in Quebec is much more similar to what you'd see in other social democracies than the right-wing approach in the US and even some parts of Canada.

I personally find Quebec has a positive influence on Canada in a whole series of ways, from culture to a benign political effect. The TV shows are often better too.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
The TV shows are often better too.
That's quite an achievement given how high the bar has been set by the rest of the country.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whether the people making sweeping and derogatory comments have traveled much in Quebec or have friends there? Or have just read some newspapers.

For most people coming from Europe, I'd argue that the political spectrum in Quebec is much more similar to what you'd see in other social democracies than the right-wing approach in the US and even some parts of Canada.

I personally find Quebec has a positive influence on Canada in a whole series of ways, from culture to a benign political effect. The TV shows are often better too.
I agree with all of that. Ignorance is an extremely common reason for knee-jerk condemnation.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:01 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's quite an achievement given how high the bar has been set by the rest of the country.
Point taken. My senses have been dulled, I hadn't even considered that.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:22 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you think of Quebec or it's people, you'd be a complete idiot to not realize how messed up things would get in the rest of the country if they seceded.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Only the overly sensitive could describe observations made on this forum as "spewing bile".

Interesting that you are looking for an "argue"ment.

Also interesting that such a supposedly progressive and cultured place has taken until 2012 to elect a female premier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.