Reload this Page >

Q for tjose with a UK military pension

Q for tjose with a UK military pension

Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road
Default Q for those with a UK military pension

Long time no hear guys!

Time is now getting tight and I am sorting out my finances before I come to Canada. This is for tjose who have a UK military pension.

Did you complete a P85 before you left?

Do you get your pension paid into our Canadian bank?

Do you pay tax on it to the UK or Canada?

If you pay Canadian tax, is it merely a question of filing your tax return and paying the necessary taxes?

Anything else I need to think about?

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by JimandBettina; Nov 26th 2012 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q for those with a UK military pension

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Long time no hear guys!

Time is now getting tight and I am sorting out my finances before I come to Canada. This is for tjose who have a UK military pension.

No

Do you get your pension paid into our Canadian bank?
No, it gets paid into an English one.

No in the UK, yes in Canada

If you pay Canadian tax, is it merely a question of filing your tax return and paying the necessary taxes?
Yes
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
No

No, it gets paid into an English one.

No in the UK, yes in Canada

Yes
Thanks mate,

Why did you not do a P85?

What did you have to do to get it paid tax free into your UK bank?

Cheers,
Jim
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate,

Why did you not do a P85?

What did you have to do to get it paid tax free into your UK bank?

Cheers,
Jim
I can't recall why I didn't complete a P85 (likely because I didn't know it existed). When I see threads like this, I am reminded to complete one (IR likely owes me some tax but as I left in January and I was a PAYE, I doubt the refund will be so huge I will be able to retire) but then, invariably, I forget to do so.

I was a medical discharge for a condition the Army deemed was attributable to service. In light of this, both my Army pension and my war pension are paid tax free in the UK. They are not huge so I leave them there to enable me to purchase items for family in the UK on a UK credit card and then use internet banking to pay off the credit card.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Q for tjose with a UK military pension

Oh OK mate. Have you filled in a tax return yet? If so, how was it?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh OK mate. Have you filled in a tax return yet? If so, how was it?
I have completed 5 tax returns since arriving. The pension income is added to my "other" income and I am taxed upon it at my marginal rate.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Not ex-military but ...

You should do. Theye might be a tax refund due and it lets HMRC know you are gone. It could save all sorts of hassle if you return to the UK in the future.

You only pay tax on a pension in the country where you are resident. However, HMRC and your pension provider do not know you are resident in Canada yet so they will withhold at least 10%. You carry on filing tax returns in the UK and claim back as much of this as you can. If there is any you can't reclaim then you deduct this from Canadian tax owing on your pension income.

Once you have filed your first Canadian tax return you send this form http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/canada-individual.pdf and your pension will be paid without deduction of UK tax.

More or less, yes. For you first year the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) don't know about your pension income so you pay your tax when you file your return (by April 30th each year). If the amount you owe is more than $3,000 the CRA will want you to pay the next year in installments.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And I should add, if you are taking part of your pension as a tax-free lump sum make sure you do this before you move to Canada. Make sure it is in you account before you get on the plane. It is not tax-free in Canada.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

I left the RAF last June , moved to Canada in the August last year, filled out the P85 had to send it the day we left from Heathrow, but got the reply from HMRC saying my new tax code is NT, get my pension paid into my UK account then transfer it with Moneycorp ( others are available) they transfer it for free if your a member of the Forces pension society, cant fault the service from them, money is in my Canadian bank 3-4 days after it goes into UK account, take my pension statement along with my other paperwork to HR Block and they do it all, got a rebate last year so so far so good, hope this helps
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:32 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by petesdragon
I left the RAF last June , moved to Canada in the August last year, filled out the P85 had to send it the day we left from Heathrow, but got the reply from HMRC saying my new tax code is NT, get my pension paid into my UK account then transfer it with Moneycorp ( others are available) they transfer it for free if your a member of the Forces pension society, cant fault the service from them, money is in my Canadian bank 3-4 days after it goes into UK account, take my pension statement along with my other paperwork to HR Block and they do it all, got a rebate last year so so far so good, hope this helps
Good advice, i am planning on doing exactly that. Will make sure i have all my commuted part of my pension in my UK account before i set foot on Canadian soil.

Regards

Andrew
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Phone Phixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on the work situation with your OH, you can elect to split pension income to reduce tax paid. As my wife currently stays home to look after our young daughter, I do this, so 50% of my pension is untaxed. Every little helps!!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Good advice, i am planning on doing exactly that. Will make sure i have all my commuted part of my pension in my UK account before i set foot on Canadian soil.

Regards

Andrew
Same here. By the way, we're just across the water from you. Fareham. Where in Canada are you planning on going?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anunlikelyunion
Same here. By the way, we're just across the water from you. Fareham. Where in Canada are you planning on going?
Just a question ref pensions. I have a full 22 year RN pension. looking to move to NS next year. Will my pension still be indexed linked and increase after turning 55, when I move over and have full PR?
Thanks
John

anunlikelyunion, we live in Portchester! A small world!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Just a question ref pensions. I have a full 22 year RN pension. looking to move to NS next year. Will my pension still be indexed linked and increase after turning 55, when I move over and have full PR?
Thanks
John

anunlikelyunion, we live in Portchester! A small world!
Both of my pensions are index linked.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:31 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anunlikelyunion
Hi, living in Fareham at the moment, heading to Brandon in Manitoba next summer if my PR goes well. My Mum Dad and 2 brothers have been there for 20 years, its time to join the flock again. Brandons like a second home anyway, been there around 24 times in the last 20 years.

Regards

Andrew