Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver on IEC programme

Moving to Vancouver on IEC programme

Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kopitewarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Vancouver on IEC programme

Hi there!

I'm planning to move to Vancouver on a one year IEC visa around January 2014, and I'm just looking for some general advice!

Firstly, I've been reading around that the job situation in Vancouver is bad, and that the cost of living is outrageous, is this true? Do Working Holidaymakers such as myself struggle to get by? I'd be willing to do most jobs (retail/fast food/hospitality etc), are there enough jobs about? Also, where would be a good place to live, I heard that renting is expensive, and that landlords need proof of income before they take people on?

Basically, I'd jeust like some general help on how to survive in Vancouver, it looks amazing, but I've heard so much negative press about it I'm seriously doubting going over!

If this is the wrong forum then apologies, just point me in the right direction.

Cheers guys
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver on IEC programme

Originally Posted by Kopitewarrior
If this is the wrong forum then apologies, just point me in the right direction.
Not a problem, I'll move it for you, but for future ref, the immigration section is only for visa related queries - any general lifestyle ones belong in the main Canada section.

Have a read of the link in my signature for more info for newbies, and good luck.

P.S. Cost of living in Vancouver will be roughly the same as in the UK, it's real estate that's mind blowingly expensive!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kopitewarrior is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not a problem, I'll move it for you, but for future ref, the immigration section is only for visa related queries - any general lifestyle ones belong in the main Canada section.

Have a read of the link in my signature for more info for newbies, and good luck.

P.S. Cost of living in Vancouver will be roughly the same as in the UK, it's real estate that's mind blowingly expensive!
Ah thank you. If cost of living isn't so bad, why does everyone keep writing about how expensive everything is? Is it just expensive compared to the rest of Canada? How's renting? Probably going to be going solo
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kopitewarrior
Ah thank you. If cost of living isn't so bad, why does everyone keep writing about how expensive everything is? Is it just expensive compared to the rest of Canada? How's renting? Probably going to be going solo
Because there is no quality control on the internet. Any ****** can post any ***** they want. Buying real estate is expensive. We have a higher sales tax than Alberta but roughly the same as the rest of the Provinces. I am not aware of any other things significantly more expensive than the rest of Canada.

When we came here the exchange rate was 2.25 and, with the exception of booze and car insurance, everything seemed cheap compared to the UK. With the rate around 1.6 now I think christmasoompa is probably right and the overall cost of living is more or less a wash.

Rents depend on what you want and where you want it. If you want a place to yourself then basements in the suburbs start around $600 pcm. A one bedroom place in the The West End (older but very central and attractive residential area) will be about $1,200. A swankey new condo in Yaletwon or Coal Harbour can be double. A house or flat share may be better if you are on your own. Craig's List is the best source.

References may be a problem in some places. Landlords will want to be sure you can pay your rent. Maybe some more recent arrivals will have some experiences they can share.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Mynsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver (and even more so Whistler) is full of people doing a season skiing or a year out so it's definitely doable. House share and you'll have enough to get by doing a low paying job, you won't have any spare cash, but you can survive and have a fun experience.

If you're talking about moving here permanently that's another story...