Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Public schools in Canada

Public schools in Canada

Old Nov 15th 2004, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of
Default Public schools in Canada

Dear all,
How good or bad are the Canadian public schools (pre-university) in comparison with private schools?
Do young people graduated from private schools has more opportunities to be accepted in the best universities than young people graduated from public schools?
Best regards
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Public schools in Canada

Originally Posted by eferreira
Dear all,
How good or bad are the Canadian public schools (pre-university) in comparison with private schools?
Do young people graduated from private schools has more opportunities to be accepted in the best universities than young people graduated from public schools?
Best regards
It completely depends on which public or private school a student were to attend, as well as that student's academic abilities. As for getting accepted into good Universities - that depends on your grade point average, and if it's good enough, it doesn't matter what school you've gone to. I attended a Canadian public school and made it into a good University (although some of my peers did not). If a student is determined enough, and gets the grades, most likely they will be accepted into a good University. I think that's the same anywhere in the world...
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it has more to do with income than academic standards. If you have the money for private school, you probably have the money for tuition at the top universites. I think a lot of tallented people in the public school system miss out on the top universities due to the expense more than because they are not recognised academically.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just like in the UK

If you pay for premium educators your chance of having a better education go up...
Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I suspect it has more to do with income than academic standards. If you have the money for private school, you probably have the money for tuition at the top universites. I think a lot of tallented people in the public school system miss out on the top universities due to the expense more than because they are not recognised academically.
I don't agree with that completely. Yes, some people do miss out, but the Canadian student loan system (and bank student lines of credit) is quite good, and if somebody really wants to go to University, they can. I couldn't afford expensive tuition fees, but I made it though an undergraduate and masters degree with student loans. So, it is possible.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

A few of my Canadian colleagues at university blew me away academically. I am a product of the British private (public) system. These Canadians were all products of the Canadian public system.