Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

French and a Canadian job (dream)

French and a Canadian job (dream)

Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French and a Canadian job (dream)

Hye Folks,

Landed in Canada in August...didn't get a job right away..juut got impatient and landed a job in the Caribbean away fom family and friends...now wanting to get back desperately to Canada. The only problem being getting a job back there.

I was told that being bilingual really helps. So, would it help if I learn French rigorously over the next year? Do I need to take some exams after that to prove my French language skills?

The other issue...being stuck in the Caribbean, I have no learning materail for French. Anybody know of good websites where I could learn French.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 3:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French and a Canadian job (dream)

Realy depends where in Canada and what you want to do for a living.

In Ontario, French will help for some customer service jobs, some call center positions, and some sales, otherwise it makes little difference. I would think the further west you go the less still it matters. Some government jobs require french too, but these are generally for citizens only.

I would think it is hard to build up the necessary "canadian contact network" from the caribbean too, plus if you spend too long in the caribbean you will automatically lose your canadian PR status anyway, so it wont matter either way.

Good Luck

Iain

Originally Posted by moving
Hye Folks,

Landed in Canada in August...didn't get a job right away..juut got impatient and landed a job in the Caribbean away fom family and friends...now wanting to get back desperately to Canada. The only problem being getting a job back there.

I was told that being bilingual really helps. So, would it help if I learn French rigorously over the next year? Do I need to take some exams after that to prove my French language skills?

The other issue...being stuck in the Caribbean, I have no learning materail for French. Anybody know of good websites where I could learn French.

Thanks in advance.